VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have one hd toshiba tv hooked to cable and I get hd programming as channel 5-1, 11-1 etc. with compatible remote. I also have a hd ready tv. What do I need to hook between cable and the tv to get hd? It needs to have its own remote to be able to get the channels 5-1, 11-1 etc.
    Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by rickagun View Post
    I have one hd toshiba tv hooked to cable and I get hd programming as channel 5-1, 11-1 etc. with compatible remote. I also have a hd ready tv. What do I need to hook between cable and the tv to get hd? It needs to have its own remote to be able to get the channels 5-1, 11-1 etc.
    Thanks
    You need an HD cable box for the second set. That will convert cable RF to analog component or DVI-HDMI. Your HD ready set would need to support HDCP for DVI-HDMI to work. Most don't.

That assumes you want to display HD channels. An SD cable box will output SD only.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  3. I guess I should have added that I do not have a cable box in my house. The sets pick up programming off the initial cable. What do I need to make my second (HD ready) set do the same?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I guess I should have added that I do not have a cable box in my house. The sets pick up programming off the initial cable. What do I need to make my second (HD ready) set do the same?
    What is the model number of the set?

Most HD-Ready sets have SD analog tuners. Is high definition display your goal?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks guys. I need to check out some manuals and maybe get 'er done now.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks guys. I need to check out some manuals and maybe get 'er done now.
    If you explained what you've got and what you want to do, maybe we can help.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks guys. I need to check out some manuals and maybe get 'er done now.
    If you explained what you've got and what you want to do, maybe we can help.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Thanks, basically what I really want is something I can insert between my existing cable and the cable connection on the TV that will allow me to get the HD channels with HD quality on my supposedly HD ready "Tatung 32" TV, that I already get on my Toshiba HDTV. I realize that it will also have to have a remote that gets 5-1, 11-1 etc. It has HDMI connection, pic in pic and all the goodies on the current remote but will not tune in the HD channels.

Thanks again,
    Ric
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It won't connect to the coax in. You have two HD inputs, analog component and DVI. Nothing I can find indicates the DVI input is HDCP compliant. Check your manual. That leaves analog component.

For cable you need an HD cable box. Cable in and analog component out to TV.

For over the air reception an ATSC tuner will work.
    http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-DTBH260F-HDTV-Terrestrial-Receiver/dp/B000JV6TQY/ref=sr_...6454612&sr=8-3

There may be a standalone ATSC/QAM tuner (QAM for cable). This might work into your DVI port. If it does, it will just tune the unencrypted QAM channels.
    http://www.amazon.com/Kworld-HDmi-External-Digital-Tuner/dp/B002RL8I2W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=U...6454831&sr=8-1
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by edDV View Post
    a standalone ATSC/QAM tuner (QAM for cable). This might work into your DVI port. If it does, it will just tune the unencrypted QAM channels.
    Which is exactly the same thing his other TV gets now.
    Quote Quote  
  11. never recommend Samsung DTBH260F to anyone even my worst enemies.if u do be sure to buy a full bag of capacitors
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I bought a used DirectTV box from ebay for $20-$30 for my HD ready tv. There are tons of them. I used an OTA antenna, but I guess the cable would work for a few channels. I received good HD signal from half dozen stations. You don't have to have DirectTV for the tuner to work with over the air stations.
    I love children, girl children... about 16-40
    W.C. Fields
    Quote Quote  
  13. what model is that?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MJA View Post
    what model is that?
    Samsung SIR-TS160
    rickagun, PM me, I don't need it anymore. You can have it for the price of shipping.
    W.C. Fields
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by ricoman View Post
    Samsung SIR-TS160
    How is that going to help the OP receive QAM transmissions from his cable company?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by ricoman View Post
    Samsung SIR-TS160
    How is that going to help the OP receive QAM transmissions from his cable company?
    Not really sure, he would have to try it out, but it is an HD tuner, DVI and component connections and is better than what he has and I'm offering it for free. As I said, I haven't tried it with cable, but OTA gives me HD programming.
    W.C. Fields
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by ricoman View Post
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by ricoman View Post
    Samsung SIR-TS160
    Not really sure, he would have to try it out, but it is an HD tuner
    Yes, but only an ATSC tuner for over-the-air broadcasting (with an antenna) in the USA. It might help him if his TV has no tuner at all and he needs an NTSC tuner to get standard definition analog from his cable company.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You're obviously more up on it than I am. I just noticed it has 3 coaxial cable input labeled Cable In, Satellite In & Air In with a DTV input switch, so I thought it might help him. As I said, I've only used it for OTA. I thought "HD ready" tvs didn't have tuners, my old Olivo tv didn't have a tuner, that's what I used this for.
    W.C. Fields
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It would need to have a QAM tuner to get HD from cable.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edDV View Post
    It would need to have a QAM tuner to get HD from cable.
    I thought it might work, I stand corrected. Thanks.
    W.C. Fields
    Quote Quote  
  21. Please look over the following. Looks like my situation.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Sorry, forgot a click.....
    HD local stations via a Clear QAM tuner

#1 25 Oct 2005 @ 18:01
    diabolosVisit user's personal pageSend private message to this user
    I have been doing some research into QAM (256 QAM/Clear QAM) tuners. It seems that it is possible to recieve HD local channels, and any digital channels for that matter that are unscrambled, by simply using a 256 QAM tuner without the need for a "Digital Cable" subscription or box (or cable-card). I just wanted to know if anyone here at AD has any knowlege on the subject. I hope this is true because I wouldn't mind paying for basic cable service if I could get my local channels in HD like I can now over-the-air (for free)!

People could get all of these channels with "Basic/Standard Cable" service through Time Warner Cable (TWC).

Thankz,
    Ced
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by rickagun View Post
    Please look over the following. Looks like my situation.
    You already know it's your situation. One of your TVs has a clear QAM tuner built-in and you are using it to get those digital HD stations.

I have one hd toshiba tv hooked to cable and I get hd programming as channel 5-1, 11-1 etc
    Quote Quote