VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am really confused.

I made some videos that were recorded in Video Mode on a -RW DVD and I could not delete the videos in edit menu.
    I had to reformat the DVD and lost all videos.
    I should have that disk formatted in VR then I could edit it.
    Sony manual says:

"When you use a DVD-RW, a record mode, VIDEO or VR, will be assigned automatically."

Sony does not tell you how it assigned the mode. There is no option for you to assign the mode.
    Can anyone help understand how this Camcorder assigns the mode based on the Video Format, and DVD type.

What Disk Type gets assigned Video? What Disk Type gets assigned VR?

[Attachment 70080 - Click to enlarge]
    [Attachment 70081 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    DVD-R gets assigned DVD-Video
    DVD-RW gets assigned DVD-Video or DVD-VR, depending*
    DVD+R gets assigned DVD-Video
    DVD+RW gets assigned DVD+VR? or maybe DVD-Video. Note: +VR is not the same as -VR. (+VR is usually only available on Philips cam/re-corders).

*I don't know the rule Sony uses to determine which of the modes DVD-RW uses, but would expect that the default would be the VR mode (for that disc), as am pretty sure that is the only time that that mode is possible (as it isn't possible with the other disc types).
    Clearly the incident you had was when the DVD-RW disc was not in the -VR mode like you thought it might have been. However, I am pretty sure that "automatically" only occurs AFTER the -RW disc has been formatted...

From what I read, when you 1st insert the -RW disc, you should be presented with a "Formatting" screen. According to the many Sony manuals I looked at, that screen should have either "Disc Select" options, or the option to 1. Rec. Format, 2. Execute. If you skip "Rec Format" and go straight to "Execute" and answer YES, then it will format the disc in DVD-Video mode. If instead you press "Rec. Format" (and maybe press yes after) it will format the disc in DVD-VR mode. Once that ORIGINAL formatting has occurred, the disc is stuck in that format until you ERASE/REFORMAT the disc (whether in camera or in a computer), after which you should get those original options again. But, while in the format chosen, all Recordings will automatically know which format to record as (Video or VR), which is I think what Sony meant to say. So I think there IS an option to assign the mode, but it sneaks up on you at the beginning and isn't clear.

Now, I didn't look at EVERY Sony manual, so I could have missed one. You didn't mention the model of your camcorder, that would help. Then, we could look up the manual ourselves to better help you out.

Hope that helps,

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you so much for your response. I know it kind of silly to worry about such stuff, but Sony did such a bad job of explaining and their support was basically useless.

Thank you,
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The model was in the Title, Sony HDR-UX1. It is a HD AVCHD Handycam.

I do not see where you are given the option when you first load a DVD-RW to input Rec. Format?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, I think I see it now. HD DVD-RW is always recorded in VR mode. SD DVD-RW you have the option to record in VR or Video. Thanks

I still do not understand why HD DVD-RW can not be recorded in Video Mode?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    The Dvd Video formats (DVD-Video, DVD-VR, DVD+VR, etc) are SD only. I expect the HD format actually being used is AVCHD, regardless of type of disc. You should be able to tell for sure by looking at the structure of a (finalized) disc in a pc. It should have the same structure as described in this article: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/AVCHD.
    Also, or alternately, after you initialize/format a disc you should be able to go in the menu to verify the disc & recording type, etc. I recommend that as a habit, every time, immediately after, so you won't be surprised.

Scott

<Edit> ha! Yeah, I skimmed the title, so missed the model. My bad.
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 1st Apr 2023 at 19:51.
    Quote Quote