VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm trying to encode with ffmpeg bluray compliant h264 files to use with adobe encore cs6. Encore reads the m2ts file correctly and says no transcoding needed, but when I try to build the bdmv folder I get "video buffer underflows. total bitrate is too high near time..."

Code:
    "%execpath%" -hide_banner -c:v h264_cuvid -hwaccel_output_format cuda -i "%~1" -c:v h264_nvenc -preset medium -profile:v high -level:v 4.1 -b:v 25M -maxrate:v 38M -bufsize:v 30M -bf 3 -bt 1.0 -rc vbr -qmin 0 -qmax 69 -refs:v 4 -rc-lookahead 24 -flags +cgop -coder:v cabac -g 24 -keyint_min 1 -r 24000/1001 -bluray-compat 1 "%~p1%~n1.m2ts"
    Using libx264 makes no difference. Instead same settings using x264.exe generates a perfectly working file (for encore).

Any help appreciated.

Solution:
    Originally Posted by n0M3n View Post
    I've found the solution...
    Last edited by n0M3n; 27th Sep 2022 at 12:35.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Use libx264 and try elementary file output, instead of transport stream. "%~p1%~n1.h264"

Unrelated to that error message, but you should to set the SAR for Encore compatibility as well or it can give you other error messages e.g -vf setsar=sar=1/1 for 1:1 , or --sar 1:1 in x264.exe if this was 1920x1080
    Quote Quote  
  3. hi, thank you for ur reply.
    I already tried elementary stream, 100% not a muxing related issue.
    as I said libx264 doesn't solve the issue. sar 1/1 is default value for decoded 1080p footage.
    the only thing that I tried that worked with ffmpeg is setting 15mbit bitrate or lower.

as I said, it works flawlessly with x264.exe only.
    Quote Quote  
  4. So use x264.exe , because it's known to work and is reliable.

Try removing -bt 1 ; if the --vbv-maxrate and --vbv-bufsize is passed correctly to libx264, then it shouldn't be required and might cause a buffer underrun

You can post a ffmpeg bug report in the meantime
    Quote Quote  
  5. bufsize @1080p must be 30M for bluray. whatever parameter I set I always get this error using ffmpeg, no matter the encoder. I wanted to try make it work just cause h264_nvenc is 2x faster than my amd 3700x and "we" are currently publishing more blurays recently.

I dunno what data I could attach to a bug report. Do you know any program to analyse buffer over time?
    Quote Quote  
  6. For ffmpeg bug reports, you need the full -report , there are instructions on the bug tracker as to what to include in bug report
    https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/TracGuide

There are professional buffer analyzers with visualization, such as Elecard Buffer Analyzer , neuron2 used to offer vbvchecker (used to require a license not sure of current status), and a free one used to be vbv.pl
    Quote Quote  
  7. thank you for your help. gonna try
    Quote Quote  
  8. I've found the solution. I was using -g 24 while my stream is 23.976 and apparently encore doesn't like keyframes placed with a span greater than 1 second (for chapter placement and seeking probably).
    And using -bluray-compat 1 won't change default key interval (250), and I think it should.

current command is:
    "%execpath%" -hide_banner -y -c:v h264_cuvid -hwaccel_output_format cuda -i "%~1" -c:v h264_nvenc -preset medium -profile:v high -level:v 4.1 -rc cbr -b:v 28M -maxrate:v 28M -bufsize:v 30M -bf 3 -refs:v 3 -rc-lookahead 20 -no-scenecut 1 -coder:v cabac -g 23 -r 24000/1001 -bluray-compat 1 -an "%~p1%~n1.m2ts"

Gonna put a foreach ffprobe pass and some vars to automate it.
    I've seen I can render 2 1080p streams simultaneously @12x speed each (on pcie4 nvme) with an rtx2070.

Soo.. GJ to me. Hope it helps
    Quote Quote  
  9. -bluray-compat should not change or force the max keyframe interval, because there are 2 sec GOP variations of BD, other framerates, resolution and i/p . For example a L4.0 1920x1080p23.976 can use a 48 lenght GOP if the maxrate is 24000 with 1 slice , and this is "official" as per the BD specs. There is no way to know which variation the user is going to use

Your explanation doesn't make complete sense, since --keyint 24 works with x264.exe and encore (retail BD's with 23.976 authored using other software use a max keyframe interval of 24 as well.)

Other issues with ffmpeg libx264 or nvenc are chapter points - you would need to use qpfile to specify exact frames - it's not supported by ffmpeg libx264 implementation, only x264.exe , so there can sometimes be problems with the BD navigation

Also, the quality is quite low for nvenc h264 - so it's typically never used for BD
    Quote Quote  
  10. sure is not as good, but the difference is pretty neglectable if source is not film with really noticeable grain.
    aaaaaaaaand I don't get paid enough, especially in a period with skyrocketing bills.
    Quote Quote