VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Avisynth isn't working.

I've tried Avisynth portable and installed versions, as well as Avisynth Plus. I can get it to show the version message by following the instructions to the letter, but it won't play an .avi file (it throws an error message about not finding a decompressor).

WMP is able to play the file just fine if Avisynth is not involved. I'm using the latest version of Avisynth which is currently available on line.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by chris319 View Post
    Avisynth isn't working... it won't play an .avi file (it throws an error message about not finding a decompressor).
    AviSynth isn't busted. You just don't have a VFW decoder for the codec in question -- AviSource() requires VFW codecs.

Originally Posted by chris319 View Post
    WMP is able to play the file just fine
    WMP uses DirectShow decoders, not VFW.

You may also have a 32 bit vs 64 bit problem. 32 bit programs require 32 bit decoders. 64 bit programs require 64 bit decoders.

So under 32 bit Windows you have two separate systems: VFW and DirectShow. Under 64 bit Windows you have four separate systems: both 32 bit and 64 bit versions of VFW and DirectShow.
    Quote Quote  
  3. If it is DVavi, you can install Cedocida DV codec, then you have what you need. No script line, no exact error message, no statement what format that avi video actually is, so guessing.
    If you google exact error message it ussualy tells you right away where the problem is.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by _Al_ View Post
    If you google exact error message it ussualy tells you right away where the problem is.

I second This statement. It works wonders to search and get information with basic walk thru process that others like you may have had in the past. Not that this bunch of film/video/audio philes doesn't have most answers, because they do. However supplying them with ALL the information of your system etc... has to be provided to really help.

If the Light ain't Bright....It ain't Right!!
    Quote Quote  
  5. The error message says:

AVISource: couldn't locate a decompressor for fourcc H264
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The error message says:

AVISource: couldn't locate a decompressor for fourcc H264
    couldn't locate a decompressor for fourcc H264

If the Light ain't Bright, It ain't Right !!
    Last edited by 16mmJunkie; 12th Nov 2019 at 00:26. Reason: left out my quote
    Quote Quote  
  7. I second This statement. It works wonders to search and get information with basic walk thru process that others like you may have had in the past. Not that this bunch of film/video/audio philes doesn't have most answers, because they do. However supplying them with ALL the information of your system etc... has to be provided to really help.
    No joy. I searched on my error message and got a lot of suggestions from past discussions which turned out not to work for the person seeking help.

It might be time to conclude that avisynth isn't going to work because my machine lacks the mystical hocus-pocus needed.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Install ffdshow. Enable VFW h.264 decoder. Start -> All Programs -> ffdshow -> VFW Configuration -> Decoder (tab) -> Codecs (left pane) -> h.264/AVC -> libavcodec.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Not seeing h.264/AVC -> libavcodec.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Click in the Decoder column to see the pulldown list:

[Attachment 50843 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  11. also:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/389661-AviSynth-avisource-couldn-t-locate-a-decompressor
    which also mentions FFMS2 or LSMASH plugins. No installation is needed for those if those would help. You'd get them , put them into Avisynth plugin folder (DLL's) and just use source pluging loading line in Avisynth.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Now it's complaining "No compatible ACM codec to decode 0x00ff audio stream to PCM."
    Quote Quote  
  13. Installing that codec did not help?
    Quote Quote  
  14. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Now it's complaining "No compatible ACM codec to decode 0x00ff audio stream to PCM."
    You need to install the AAC ACM decoder written by fccHandler.
    "Programmers are human-shaped machines that transform alcohol into bugs."
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by _Al_ View Post
    Installing that codec did not help?
    No, it did not.
    Last edited by chris319; 12th Nov 2019 at 16:21.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by El Heggunte View Post
    Now it's complaining "No compatible ACM codec to decode 0x00ff audio stream to PCM."
    You need to install the AAC ACM decoder written by fccHandler.
    "Setup cannot copy the file AACACM.acm"

Next idea?
    Quote Quote  
  17. Maybe you did not run it as administrator?
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by _Al_ View Post
    Maybe you did not run it as administrator?
    I logged off, logged back in as Administrator and ran the x86 batch file. I had to lean on the Enter key to get rid of all of the licensing legalese messages. I guess it finally installed but I can't be sure.

It seems I've been down this path before. All attempts to run Avisynth result in dead ends. All suggestions to "try this, try that, install this, install that" result in dead ends. So screw Avisynth; it's F--ked — it doesn't work as claimed.

There is nothing exotic about my machine, just a garden-variety installation of Windows 10.

Screw it.
    Last edited by chris319; 13th Nov 2019 at 03:32.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Try DirectShowSource() instead of AviSource(). Or better yet, use one of the source filters that doesn't require system installed codecs. LSMASH is a good choice. Install the LSMASH source filter for AviSynth (put LSMASHSource.dll in AviSynth's plugins folder), then use LWlibavVideoSource() and LWlibabAudioSource() to open the video and audio.

Code:
    a = LWlibavAudioSource("filename.avi")
    v = LWlibavVideoSource("filename.avi")
    AudioDub(v,a)
    A word of warning: AVI is not a recommended container for h.264 video and aac audio. Use a more modern container like MKV or MP4.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Try DirectShowSource() instead of AviSource().
    That worked, believe it or not. I see video but can't vouch for audio.

So much for RTFM.

No joy with .mp4. WMP can play my .mp4 with audio, but not if Avisynth is involved.
    Quote Quote  
  21. DirectShowSource() is usually used as a last resort. First, it uses system installed DirectShow components (it should be able to open any video that WMP can play) -- behavior will vary from system to system depending on what's installed. Second, it's not frame accurate on random seeks (including things like stepping backward frame by frame) and may wreak havoc with filters that read frames out of order. I highly recommend you use LSMASH instead.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by chris319 View Post
    Originally Posted by _Al_ View Post
    Maybe you did not run it as administrator?
    it's F--ked — it doesn't work as claimed.
    Your video actually might be. If VMP plays it or others, that does not changes a thing, players do things behind scenes, mostly can confuse the hell of everyone if you use them as reference point as a video guy. And with VMP, you are lucky here because video is VFW, ancient microsoft thing.

On the other hand, sure, source plugins could have bugs and be problematic because there are lots of dependencies.
    But as for avi container with H.264 and AAC, I would not give to anyone, only to the enemy . You are in the FIXING mode right now. Not casual file loading into Avisynth. btw, as a video guy, you will be fixing things all the time. There is no such a thing as always there is no problem. It only appears that way for casual user using casual software, using defaults and such to mask anything missing or wrong.

Besides trying those other source plugins, you can also use ffmpeg, to re-wrap it to mp4 container with H.264 copy and producing new audio or PCM. Or making lossless avi with PCM.

mp4 containers - you load using LSMASH or as a second FFMS, not DiresctShow etc. When looking for help on web, watch for dates it was discussed or recommended. Read recent recommendations only.
    Quote Quote