VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have some WMV videos that only play in Windows Media Player. Nothing else ... not VLC, IINA, mplayer, etc.
    Handbrake refuses to open it.
    AVIdemux refuses to open it.

sample of errors I get:

Code:
    [vc1 @ 0x7fc9b8907a40] Error in WVC1 interlaced frame
    Error while decoding stream #0:1: Invalid data found when processing input
    [mp4 @ 0x7fc9b8908080] Non-monotonous DTS in output stream 0:1; previous: 12249278, current: 12247998; changing to 12249279. This may result in incorrect timestamps in the output file.
    I've tried utilities like ASFBIN

They play perfectly in WMP though.

Is there any hope for transcoding these?
    Quote Quote  
  2. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Give a try to Avisynth with DirectShowSource().
    But first use GraphStudioNext for generating the .GRF files which will be opened by DirectShowSource().

http://avisynth.nl/index.php/Importing_media#How_do_I_use_GraphEdit_to_make_graphs_of_...in_AviSynth.3F

Wrongly-muxed .WMVs are very-common, sadly.
    Last edited by El Heggunte; 18th Aug 2022 at 08:26.
    "Programmers are human-shaped machines that transform alcohol into bugs."
    Quote Quote  
  3. OK graphstudio is able to play the file without any changes. I'm a bit lost what to do next.
    Quote Quote  
  4. You could try a simple remux with clever Ffmpeg-GUI.
    Quote Quote  
  5. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ProWo View Post
    You could try a simple remux with clever Ffmpeg-GUI.
    Only if ffplay plays the video without glitches. Otherwise ffmpeg will fail at producing a correct remux.
    Quote Quote  
  6. AviSynth's DirectShowSource() should work since it uses the same mechanism as WMP, GraphStudioNext, GraphEdt, etc.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Hardware decoding might help for other ffmpeg based tools aside from ffplay.
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by ProWo View Post
    You could try a simple remux with clever Ffmpeg-GUI.
    yes you've already suggested it to me a few times before. Unfortunately, ffmpeg won't touch it either. I get the errors I quoted above (Error in WVC1 interlaced frame ).

Still waiting for that Mac version though.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    AviSynth's DirectShowSource() should work since it uses the same mechanism as WMP, GraphStudioNext, GraphEdt, etc.
    How do I do that? I have no idea what avisynth is or does. Will it transcode my video?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by exekutive View Post
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    AviSynth's DirectShowSource() should work since it uses the same mechanism as WMP, GraphStudioNext, GraphEdt, etc.
    How do I do that? I have no idea what avisynth is or does. Will it transcode my video?
    Avisynth is a script based frameserver and processing tool.

You need to feed the .avs to another program that accepts avs scripts, such as vdub/vdub2, or ffmpeg, or some encoder like x264/x265

To the receiving program, the avs script "looks like" uncompressed video and audio

Delete the video renderer for the video, so the last pin is unconnected save the graph e.g "video.grf" . Repeat for the audio e.g. audio.grf

Install avisynth and write a script in notepad , or you can use a script editor like avspmod

Code:
    vid = DirectShowSource("D:\video.grf", audio=false)
    aud = DirectShowSource("D:\audio.grf", video=false)
    AudioDub(vid, aud)
    save the script, with .avs extension (if you had .txt, change it to .avs) . Use that as input to one of those encoders
    Quote Quote  
  11. You can probably use a simpler script like:

Code:
    DirectShowSource("filename.wmv")
    I believe you can use StaxRip which uses AviSynth. So you don't even have to write your own script. It should also include everything else you need to reencode the video.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    I believe you can use StaxRip which uses AviSynth.

Thank you. This was pretty much a one-click solution.

I'm really surprised and disappointed that the more well-known software isn't up to the task.
    Quote Quote  
  13. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by exekutive View Post
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    I believe you can use StaxRip which uses AviSynth.

Thank you. This was pretty much a one-click solution.

I'm really surprised and disappointed that the more well-known software isn't up to the task.
    It's because the ASF container (improperly renamed to ".WMV" by Microsoft) is a P.I.T.A.
    In the end, ASF is just a glorified AVI (as the author of VirtualDub said in 2000) which happened to be even worse (misbehaving) than AVI itself.
    Last edited by El Heggunte; 17th Aug 2022 at 18:44. Reason: error-correction code
    Quote Quote  
  14. can I decomb using staxrip?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by El Heggunte View Post
    It's because the ASF container (improperly renamed to ".WMV" by Microsoft) is a P.I.T.A.

That may be true, but if this is known about wmv, then we simply need to write better software to handle it. Evidently it is possible.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by exekutive View Post
    can I decomb using staxrip?
    Got it.
    Click AVS Filters>Add>Restoration>DeComb
    Last edited by exekutive; 17th Aug 2022 at 22:26.
    Quote Quote