VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, could anyone please recommend a video editor (or anything) for Linux in which I can choose a prepared color preset for my video?

For images gThumb does this same exact thing, see the screenshot below:

[Attachment 66248 - Click to enlarge]

Is there anything of the sort for video (possibly for free)?

Thank you very much!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, i've tried several video editors like kdenlive, openshot, shotcut, davinci resolve and more recently Olive.

my personal preferences are Kdenlive and DaVinci Resolve (both free)

Kdenlive is availlable in appimage format meaning it will work in almost every linux distro without dependecies issues, Resolve is trickier to install but if you use ubuntu the installer is all you need, it might hang in the splash screen but wait it will start (only happens first time), with other distros you have to install dependencies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsH0GYwYI-A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJ0eI4tMOTA

Hope it helps
    I love it when a plan comes together!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you want to quickly preview the effect of a lut on a video without setting projects etc etc, you can use shutter encoder (appimage), open program, load video, select lut, preview.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you very much! Earlier I used Openshot, but it was not very stable. Now I use Kdenlive, nice, but no presets, every adjustment manual – needs an expert. (Maybe I have to learn to be an "expert".) This Shutter Encoder looks really exciting, thank you very much!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by binjomin View Post
    Thank you very much! Earlier I used Openshot, but it was not very stable. Now I use Kdenlive, nice, but no presets, every adjustment manual – needs an expert. (Maybe I have to learn to be an "expert".) This Shutter Encoder looks really exciting, thank you very much!
    try looking here under Linux video tools - https://www.videohelp.com/software/sections/linux-video-tools
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you! Here I found DaVinci Resolve (again) under the keyword "color" and OBS Studio – maybe I could give it a try, I used it before, but it was very complicated.

Now I installed DaVinci Resolve (on Ubuntu), but unfortunately it didn't start. It wanted me to configure some folders and settings, and when I did, it just exited.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ive used resolve on 20.04 and 22.04 and all i did was running the installer, it got stuck on splash screen upon startup but if you clicked on it multiple times it would close and a few seconds after resolve would open, only happens the first time you run it.

you can always google for free luts for different cameras etc etc, plenty of them available and then use kdenlive/resolve/shutter encoder to test them. What is your final goal? Do you just want to see how your video looks like with a lut or do you want to convert it aswell?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by binjomin View Post
    Thank you very much! Earlier I used Openshot, but it was not very stable. Now I use Kdenlive, nice, but no presets,
    In Kdenlive you can make your own presets for each effect and Custom Effects, which can be anything from one effect to a saved effect stack. Select a clip, drag on a Custom Effect and instantly there is an effect stack with each effect set as you determined. You only have to set them up once and once saved they can be used in any future peoject.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ricardouk View Post
    Ive used resolve on 20.04 and 22.04 and all i did was running the installer, it got stuck on splash screen upon startup but if you clicked on it multiple times it would close and a few seconds after resolve would open, only happens the first time you run it.

you can always google for free luts for different cameras etc etc, plenty of them available and then use kdenlive/resolve/shutter encoder to test them. What is your final goal? Do you just want to see how your video looks like with a lut or do you want to convert it aswell?
    Thank you for all the great tips! I actually didn't know about these luts, they look very useful. My goal: recently I discovered that it is very easy to make nice looking videos with TikTok with phone, but only short ones. I want the same thing for long ones (like one hour): to choose a specific color preset which makes the picture more warm.
    Quote Quote