VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. ..
    Last edited by SkinnerSweet; 22nd Jan 2015 at 21:37.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search PM
    For personal home use a low end color laser printer is not your best choice, both quality and economy wise.

Get a nice middle of the road inkjet printer and that should be fine!

If you want to push it you could get an inkjet printer that uses dye instead of ink.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thank you for for your reply But I'm not looking to get an inkjet printer. Just trying to choose between the 2 laser printers I listed above. They will suit my needs.

From the past 2 weeks of online research I've come to the conclusion Laser printers are far superior when it comes to everything else minus photo quality prints.

- Color lasers are best for printing graphics/artwork/text

-Ink fades over time, in just a few years from consumer printers -- toner takes MUCH longer to degrade.

Source: Lordsmurf
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by SkinnerSweet View Post
    - Color lasers are best for printing graphics/artwork/text
    Sure, $100 - $200 color laser printers are the absolute best for printing graphics/artwork/text, no single inkjet printer can even get close to it.

Anyone who does not agree with that obviously does no know what they are talking about.

Thanks for setting me straight, sorry for being wrong!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Sure, you can disagree.
    Last edited by MindController; 22nd Jan 2015 at 18:24.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by newpball View Post
    Anyone who does not agree with that obviously does no know what they are talking about.
    Well, you certainly don't know what you're talking about on this particular subject...

One big reason why a color laser is a better choice for doing DVD covers, especially if you're going for something with full-coverage graphics, is that to do a cover for a standard-sized DVD case, you pretty much have to use legal-sized (8.5x14) paper. Letter-sized 8.5x11 isn't quite long enough to do a full wraparound (and it definitely won't be if you're doing covers for larger multi-disc cases) -- and unfortunately, they don't really make legal-size photo paper, at least not that I've ever seen, and doing full-coverage color printing on non-photo paper with an inkjet printer tends to result in saturated, wrinkly paper far more often than I feel like dealing with.

Another nice thing about color lasers is that they don't get clogged up or dried out, forcing you to waste half your ink on cleaning cycles, if you don't use them for a while.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Yeah, I've done agency-wide sysadmin & tech support including a wide variety of printers - both B/W and Color, both Inkjet & Laser - for a number of years. The end result is that I will NEVER recommend an inkjet printer to anyone who is (TCO) cost-conscious, efficiency-conscious, or quality-control-conscious. Hands down Laser is better.

Though, I will temper that with the caveat of evaluating equivalent machine quality tiers. A $100 Inkjet is a much simpler device than a $100 Laser, so if you just count initial price, that is skewed. An equivalent quality to a $100 Inkjet might more likely be a $200-250-300 Laser. Unless technology has vastly driven down the price in the last 1 1/2 year.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!