VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. What is the media ID on these?
    They are on sale at Office Depot this week.
    Any comments from users welcome.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Look in the 'DVD Media' List to your left.....
    Quote Quote  
  3. It is not listed under "Phillips"
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Philips...not Phillips.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Philips is spelled Philips, not Phillips
    Quote Quote  
  6. the last Philips 1-8x dvd-r's I bought at Office Depot were CMC and were a disaster. My admittedly persnickety NEC1300A couldn't even recognize them as DVD's. I don't remember the code, but my free advice is don't bother. Office Depot refunded my money twice.

If you're near a Best Buy (USA), they have Fuji +r's and -r's on sale for $20.00/50 this week. SOME of these are going to be made in Japan TY's which most people on this forum say are good. Some will be made in Taiwan. Read the labels carefully.
    Quote Quote  
  7. My NEC 1300 burns CMC AE1 discs perfectly (8x -R), you may have had an old FW that didn't recognize the media code.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm still at 1.05. Haven't found the nerve/time to upgrade firmware. So much for free advice.
    Quote Quote  
  9. It doesn't require nerve or time, it takes 2 minutes and can easily be done in Windows. Changing the FW takes 20 seconds and a reboot, that's it. If you want any suggestion on what firmware to use let me know (it'll improve your burner so I'd suggest updating it).
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    See this thread over on the Anandtech forums:

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=40&threadid=1542850&enterthread=y

You can pick up a Benq 1620 burner for less than $50 delivered, then donate your Nec 1300 to GoodWill.
    Quote Quote  
  11. then donate your Nec 1300 to GoodWill.
    Yeah, I'll even pay for the shipping to me :P
    Quote Quote  
  12. I have an NEC-1300A also. I just purchased some Memorex 8X DVD-R's last night at Staples because they were on sale for $20 for 50. When I got home and tried to use one, Nero Express 5.5 (what came with the burner) wouldn't let me select over a 2X burn speed. Then when I hit the BURN button as soon as it started it stopped and said "Illegal Media". I've had the drive since it very first came out, so thats about 2 yrs I guess. I've never updated the firmware. I dont know what media code the discs are, I dont even know where to look for that code. I just learned about it from reading this post. Any help here would be appreciated. Should I just return the discs and buy a different brand? Should I try updating the firmware? Its almost impossible to find 4X discs in stores now. Where on the packaging is the media code listed? Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Media code is not listed on the packaging, you have to look it up with a program such as DVDInfo, by putting the disc in your drive.

Update your firmware with the 1.0C version on this site:

http://www.herrie.org/
    Quote Quote