VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi guys,
    You helped me greatly in the past and I hope you can help this 85 years old bloke once again..
    I found Avisynth an absolutely fantastic tool, even though I just applied the script without understanding much of script-writing..
    Thus far I have been using Avisynth under Windows 7. However, Win.7 is now presenting all sorts of problems since the support ended some years ago.
    Many of the programs I use, simply stopped working, including Avisynth.
    Hence my question: IS THERE A VERSION OF AVISYNTH which works under WINDOWS 10 ?
    If so, please let me know where I can find it.
    Many thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you very much davexnet.
    This probably is is the developer page, and I am sorry that I am NOT MUCH OF A DEVELOPER, but
    just a simple user of of the script that was originally developed by Fred v.d.Putte.
    I would be most grateful if you could provide me with a script which runs on VirtualDub under Windows 10.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by minimax View Post
    Hi guys,
    You helped me greatly in the past and I hope you can help this 85 years old bloke once again..
    I found Avisynth an absolutely fantastic tool, even though I just applied the script without understanding much of script-writing..
    Thus far I have been using Avisynth under Windows 7. However, Win.7 is now presenting all sorts of problems since the support ended some years ago.
    Many of the programs I use, simply stopped working, including Avisynth.
    Hence my question: IS THERE A VERSION OF AVISYNTH which works under WINDOWS 10 ?
    If so, please let me know where I can find it.
    Many thanks!
    see this thread - https://www.animemusicvideos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=124720
    Quote Quote  
  4. What is the script from Fred v.d. Putte for? Is it an .avs text file? Can you upload it here?
    In VirtualDub2 you can just paste your script into the Tools->Script Editor.

Or simply drag and drop the .avs script onto the VirtualDub2 Window.

Example of a simple script which will just play the file your.avi:
    Code:
    AviSource("your.avi")
    Last edited by Sharc; 12th Aug 2022 at 11:45.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by minimax View Post
    I would be most grateful if you could provide me with a script which runs on VirtualDub under Windows 10.
    use Virtualdub2 instead
    Quote Quote  
  6. Both 32 and 64 bit avisynth run fine under win 10.

I recommend you use AviSynth Plus and VirtualDub2. All 64 bit.
    Last edited by jagabo; 12th Aug 2022 at 15:55.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm using 32 bit AviSynth 2.6 on Windows 10 using either VDub or VDub2 with no problem.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I run 32 bit AviSynth 2.6 with 32 bit VirtualDub 1.10.4 on Windows 10 without problems
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
    What is the script from Fred v.d. Putte for? Is it an .avs text file? Can you upload it here?

Code:
    AviSource("your.avi")
    Thanks for your advice to use VitualDub2.
    The script from Fred v.d.Putte is for AviSynth: stabilization, dirt removal, sharpening. I got mine from johnmeyer, afew years back. You will find the script on his website:
    https://www.super-8.be/s8_Eindex.htm
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ProWo View Post
    use Virtualdub2 instead
    Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Both 32 and 64 bit avisynth run fine under win 10.

Hello jagabo!
    Could you please send me the Avisynth script you are using?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lollo View Post
    I run 32 bit AviSynth 2.6 with 32 bit VirtualDub 1.10.4 on Windows 10 without problems
    Thanks Lollo
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by manono View Post
    I'm using 32 bit AviSynth 2.6 on Windows 10 using either VDub or VDub2 with no problem.
    Thank you. Jagabo advised me the following: I recommend you use AviSynth Plus and VirtualDub2. All 64 bit.
    Would you have any preference?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by minimax View Post
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Both 32 and 64 bit avisynth run fine under win 10.

Hello jagabo!
    Could you please send me the Avisynth script you are using?
    I've run thousands of AviSynth scripts in Win10. I've posted many of them in these forums. Just view the posts I've made here. I don't use Video Fred's script but I have used most of the same components his script uses.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Could you please send me one that works fine with the AviSynth Plus and VirtualDub2 setup you described?
    My problem is that I am working on a Win 10 computer now, whereas the other one is a troublesome Win7 PC, which I do not trust.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ProWo View Post
    use Virtualdub2 instead
    Thank you!
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry, what do you mean by 'Version()'.
    It could be my poor understanding of the English language.
    I live in The Netherlands. Therefore English is not my mother tongue.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Provide a short video sample and description of what you're trying to achieve;
    Can't just ask for a script. Has to be customized per the issues you have
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by minimax View Post
    Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
    What is the script from Fred v.d. Putte for? Is it an .avs text file? Can you upload it here?

Code:
    AviSource("your.avi")
    Thanks for your advice to use VitualDub2.
    The script from Fred v.d.Putte is for AviSynth: stabilization, dirt removal, sharpening. I got mine from johnmeyer, afew years back. You will find the script on his website:
    https://www.super-8.be/s8_Eindex.htm
    Video Fred's scripts were developped quite some time ago. So I would assume most of his plugins are 32bit.
    Maybe try the following with your Windows10 system:
    1. Install AviSynth+ and VirtualDub2
    2. Copy the files from VideoFred's plugins folder into the plugins folder of your avisynth+ installation
    3. Start VirtualDub.exe (this is the 32bit variant)
    4. Drag and drop one of Video Fred's .avs files (or any other .avs script you have at hand) onto the VirtualDub2 window.

What error messages do you get?

or instead of 3. and 4. follow the same procedure which you applied earlier (you wrote you had the scripts working before with an older Windows and older Avisynth version, if I understood this correctly).

Eventually it may be better to start with a basic simple script though, like the one proposed by jagabo:
    1. Install AviSynth+ and VirtualDub2
    2. Open a text editor (notepad.exe) and type version() and save the file as myscript.avs (not myscript.txt)
    3. Start VirtualDub.exe
    4. Drag and drop the file myscript.avs onto the VirtualDub2 window
    What do you get?

Once you Avisynth+ and VirtualDub2 installations are basically working, you may think about replacing the legacy plugins by the actual 32bit (or 64bit) versions.
    Last edited by Sharc; 13th Aug 2022 at 17:22.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by minimax View Post
    Sorry, what do you mean by 'Version()'.
    It could be my poor understanding of the English language.
    I live in The Netherlands. Therefore English is not my mother tongue.
    That is a simple AviSynth script. When you open a script with that AviSynth will create a small video with the AviSynth version number:

[Attachment 66294 - Click to enlarge]

That will tell you if AviSynth is installed, what version, and what bitness.

Other simple scripts
    Code:
    BlankClip() # create a video of black frames
    Code:
    ColorBars() # create a video with colorbars
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you jagabo, Sharc and davexnet, I have dropped Attachment 66294 into my present version of VirtualDub and this is what I get:Image
    [Attachment 66323 - Click to enlarge]

Is this what you need? If not, I am sorry because I am still getting used to the totally different 'mechanics' of Windows 10..
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	VDub version.JPG
Views:	9
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	66321  

Quote Quote  
  22. That means 64 bit AviSynth+ is installed and you accessed it via 64 bit VirtualDub2 -- because only 64 bit AviSynth can be accessed by a 64 bit editor/encoder. 32 bit and 64 bit AviSynth+ can coexist on the same Windows installation. If you access the same script via 32 bit VirtualDub (or other edit with AviSynth support) you'll know whether 32 bit AviSynth+ is also installed (32 bit will show "i386" instead of "x86_64").

But that only tells you if AviSynth itself is installed. Video Fred's script requires many third part filters. You need to download and install them too. Note that the bitness of those filters must mach the bitness of AviSynth. 32 bit editors require 32 bit AviSynth and 32 bit AviSynth filters. 64 bit editors require 64 bit AviSynth and 64 bit AviSynth filters.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am sorry jagabo, and most grateful, but this is gettting too complicated for me. You may remember that I am just a simple user not a developer of AviSynth.
    It has done great things for me and I am just trying to repeat these under Windows 10 (let alone Win 11..).
    Would you know of a ready-to-use program that does roughly the same, i.e. dirt removal, sharpening and stabilization?
    Quote Quote  
  24. Just use AviSynth as you always did. It works no differently in Win 10 than it did in Win 7. I don't understand what the problem is. If you're uncomfortable using AviSynth+, just go back to using what you're already familiar with.

For video work nothing comes close to what AviSynth can do, for me anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by minimax View Post
    It has done great things for me and I am just trying to repeat these under Windows 10 (let alone Win 11..).
    Apparently you have VirtualDub2 and Avisynth+ installed and running under Windows 10. Can you tell us what does not work? Any error messages you are getting? For helping we have to understand your problem.
    Or upload a short video sample which you want to process, and someone may give you a basic script you can practice with and check if it works with your setup.
    Quote Quote  
  26. I agree with Sharc in post #21. The problem is the old packages of Video Fred's filters include 32 bit versions of all the third party filters. But he's using 64 bit VirtualDub(2) which would require 64 bit AviSynth and all the filters. He needs to use 32 bit VirtualDub(2) to open his scripts.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    I agree with Sharc in post #21. The problem is the old packages of Video Fred's filters include 32 bit versions of all the third party filters. But he's using 64 bit VirtualDub(2) which would require 64 bit AviSynth and all the filters. He needs to use 32 bit VirtualDub(2) to open his scripts.
    Yes. Perhaps to add that the 32bit version of VirtualDub2 is the file VirtualDub.exe, while the 64bit version is VirtualDub64.exe in the package which can be downloaded from here:
    https://www.videohelp.com/software/VirtualDub2.
    So the OP has to fire up VirtualDub.exe for 32 bit compliance.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Dear manono, Sharc and jagabo,
    Thank you very much for all your great efforts to solve my problem!
    However, right now I have a time consuming family matter on my hands, which I have to attend to in the coming weeks.
    Meanwhile, please realize that I have two computers:

1. A Win7 PC, on which I used to do all restauration & editing jobs, until Win7 partially broke down recently, but some essential software still works. Some doesn't.
    I intend to have Windows 10 installed on this PC instead, ultimately.

2. A one year old Dell Win10-PC, which I use for e-mailing and all sorts of administrative jobs.
    These 2 computers are not connected in a network. Therefore, each transfer (such as demo-films) from PC-1 to -2 has to be (literally) carried down one floor on a USB-stick…

Right now, I am working only on PC-2. For the time being you would really greatly help me by sending me a working script, along with an advice on the versions you are using of VirtualDub, AviSynth and plugins, filters. Manono e.g.?
    In fact I need a complete package.. My apologies for my bold question!
    In this manner I could start experimenting at ease (when my family lets me) and let you know about the comments I get from the system.
    Would that be possible?
    Quote Quote