VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a lot of DVDs and I am now just starting to Buy Blue Ray DVDs.

I always use DVD Decripter and DVD Shrink to just take the .VOB File of the Movie and put it on my Computers Hard Drive for me to Watch and Store.

But now with Blue Ray DVDs and 4K DVDs they do not work.
    So I got the DVD Fab Passkey Driver.
    And it helps in the other Program by Running in the Background.

But one Setting in DVD Fab Passkey Under Blue Rays says
    Remove Most DVD Region Codes.

Now I know the DVDs and Blue Ray DVDs have a Region Codes and Canada DVDs and Blue Rays have a Region Codes.

But this is to tell the player to use NTSC or PAL and how to display the Video and so on.

So how can getting Rid of a Region Code help to Copy?

If you take the Region Code away and Decript and Copy the .VOB File to the Hard Drive.
    Then you go to play it if there is no Region Code your Computers Player wont know how to Display the .VOB File you have.

Or do I have all of this Wrong?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by biferi View Post
    I have a lot of DVDs and I am now just starting to Buy Blue Ray DVDs.

I always use DVD Decripter and DVD Shrink to just take the .VOB File of the Movie and put it on my Computers Hard Drive for me to Watch and Store.
    Look into MakeMKV.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by biferi View Post
    I have a lot of DVDs and I am now just starting to Buy Blue Ray DVDs.

But now with Blue Ray DVDs and 4K DVDs they do not work.
    So I got the DVD Fab Passkey Driver.
    And it helps in the other Program by Running in the Background.

But one Setting in DVD Fab Passkey Under Blue Rays says
    Remove Most DVD Region Codes.

Now I know the DVDs and Blue Ray DVDs have a Region Codes and Canada DVDs and Blue Rays have a Region Codes.

But this is to tell the player to use NTSC or PAL and how to display the Video and so on.

So how can getting Rid of a Region Code help to Copy?

If you take the Region Code away and Decript and Copy the .VOB File to the Hard Drive.
    Then you go to play it if there is no Region Code your Computers Player wont know how to Display the .VOB File you have.

Or do I have all of this Wrong?
    You have it wrong. The information (frame rate, resolution, etc.) which a media player uses to determine how to play the video and which we humans use to determine whether the video is PAL or NTSC is stored in the video header.

Region codes are a form of DRM which allows rights holders to control the international distribution of the disc's contents. Assuming the equipment used to play and display the video support the video's resolution and framerate, removing the region code is helpful if you make a copy of the entire disc, not just the video. A region-free backup of the entire disc allows playback with players intended for use in a country that is not located inside the region for which the disc was produced.

[Edit]The original disc's region code isn't ever saved to stand-alone video files and media players don't look for it when playing them.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 7th Jun 2019 at 12:25.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Correct, Region Codes are just arbitrary marketing/distribution target region restrictions, Systems (NTSC, PAL) are video format technological specifications based on national requirements. These two categories will sometimes naturally overlap, sometimes not, depending on your locality.

Scott
    Quote Quote