VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Question 1 - If I'm not worried about disk space and don't need to deinterlace/detelecine the DVD is there any reason I shouldn't use MakeMKV on DVDs I intend to put on my Plex server? Should I worry about re-encoding at all in this scenario?

Question 2 - I was previously using MakeMKV and then re-encoding with ffmpeg through Avisynth but was informed I shouldn't encode an MKV (since it can cause audio and video to be out of sync) and should instead use DGIndex which left me wondering if MKV files made with MakeMKV have an inherent possibility of having "out of sync issues" or if that only happened when encoding from the MKV file instead of using DGIndex? Can anyone please provide clarification on this workflow? I'm still trying to wrap my head around this.
    Quote Quote  
  2. MakeMKV does not encode, You can check this by use MediaInfo. I never experienced A/V sync issues.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Q1 Only reason I can think of is wanting to use use full disc menus. If you don't worry about diskspace, don't re-encode then. Best way to stay at your source quality.

Q2 I hardly doubt that mkv, which is only the container, is prone to AV sync issues. I never had these with mkv because of mkv.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I use MakeMKV, strip foreign languages, menus etc and place movie only, straight onto my plex nas. No problems whatsoever and most are only about 4gb anyway
    Quote Quote  
  5. Mr. Computer Geek dannyboy48888's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Never had makemkv itself cause sync issues but when recoding the audio I sometimes have to put -200ms in the audio sync box of mkvtoolnix to get sync. It's my doing as I'm demuxing everything then remuxing.
    if all else fails read the manual
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    deleted
    It's not important the problem be solved, only that the blame for the mistake is assigned correctly
    Quote Quote