VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10
FirstFirst ... 8 9 10
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    If you captured MPeg2, where did the "Source AVI" come from?

Again, what were your MMC MPeg2 capture settings? Yes, I mean for the troublesome clip.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    1. I first captured Encode Interlaced MPG which was unstable, I erased it and it is unavailable.

2. I then captured avi and erased the show from my DVR.

3. I then Encoded AVI with all 3 options and made them available to you. Encode Interlaced mpg's from avi were unstable.

4. I then discovered the solution: ReStream unstable mpg or change properties of avi inside the encoder, then encode a stable mpg.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Nelson37
    I thought it had been confirmed that at least one of these clips showed Field Order Reversal within the clip itself?
    Yes, I saw that. I believe this clip was from the start of a recording:

It starts with 1 second of a completely black screen.

Then there is one second of a black letterbox with gray bars top and bottom, and a station logo in the corner (no motion).

Then there is 1 second of very shakey camera work (intentional on the part of the cameraman, lots of motion blur) where the field order of the frames is the opposite of the MPG file's flagged order. During that second there are some "Max Headroom" style back and forth jerks. Instead of a bunch of sequential frames the sequence goes something like this: 1,2,3,4,5,3,4,5,6,7,8...

Finally the video falls into the correct field order for the rest of the 17 second clip.

On top of this the video has the partial field blend that sometimes comes with PAL<->NTSC conversions. So some frames contain ghosts of the previous or next frame.

I think this may fit into your observation that MMC sometimes takes a few seconds to settle down. Or maybe it's just some error in the broadcast or capture.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ulead has a 'Detect' button, you press it and it 'detects' Bottom Field First. You capture with BFF and you get unstable captures, why? Because ATi is Top Field First, regardless of what field is 'detected.'

Therefore you set the source properties to Top Field First - and you get a stable video.

That's what I got when I did that with both avi and mpg files.

Of course, avi as such has no flag but the Encoder does have properties for the source avi. When those are wrong, you get a problem.

So I think we should talk about both source and target properties when using Encoders. We usually ask 'how did you encode it' but my problem went away when properties of the source were changed.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by c627627

2. I then captured avi and erased the show from my DVR.table mpg.
    You were capturing from a DVR?

Was DVR mentioned up to this point? What DVR?

How do you know the DVR wasn't doing the field reversal?

Up to this point you had us thinking you were capturing live over the S-Video port, not from a DVR recording. I was wondering how you could capture MPeg2, then uncompressed.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300HD Digital Video Recorder box connected to my capture card with an S-Video cable.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I had no one thinking nothing, man, remember this thing I said from the get-go:
    All right. Facts:

1. Location: USA
    2. Time Warner Cable DVR box set to output 480p standard and 1080p HD signals (480i and 720p are not being output, they've been deselected.)
    3. S-Video cable being used.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I had no one thinking nothing, man, remember this thing I said from the get-go:
    All right. Facts:

1. Location: USA
    2. Time Warner Cable DVR box set to output 480p standard and 1080p HD signals (480i and 720p are not being output, they've been deselected.)
    3. S-Video cable being used.
    So why aren't you blaming the SA box for screwing up the field order when it recorded the clip? Why are you blaming the AIW card+MMC?

The way to separate issues is to record off the SA box with a different card or device. At least try a VCR and see what field step motion shows. If you see motion alternately reversing as you increment forward field by field then the PBS broadcast or the SA box is at fault.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not blaming anything, I have opinions that I can and did change as soon as I realized I was wrong.

My initial opinion of "hey look - Encode Progressive is stable - Encode Interlaced is not - therefore Encode Progressive should be used when capturing an HD channel through S-Video" was so very wrong.

I outlined why I was so very wrong in a few sentences with which you agreed. It took me 4-5 thread pages to get those few sentences out of you all, but I did.

Now I am at a point where I think (since I don't capture movies):

1. I should capture the types of shows I do capture as Encode Interlaced, period.

In case of problems, ReStream.

2. If I do capture avi for editing purposes, I should select its properties > change the field order to Upper, then encode Interlaced, period.

That's where the story ends for me, even though I know that equipment can cause problems (example of Nelson37 recommending to start captures a few seconds in advance.)

If I am incorrect, I'm all ears, but I was asking who/what was to blame BEFORE I figured things out because I wanted to define the problem cause and find a simple solution.

I did find a simple solution as outlined under 1. and 2.

If I am wrong, I'd be grateful if I was corrected.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    OK, I'm just saying that capture from a Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300HD DVR recording is different from recording the live feed. The field order instability at the beginning of the clip could have been caused by the SA box.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I am looking for a program that can import a DVD I made, then let me specify where the chapters are and allowing me to mix it up.

For example, I'd like to tell it that chapter one is from, say 20:00 to 25.00 and then chapter two is from 0:00 to 19:00 and to just discard the material from 19:00 to 20:00, can that be done?

Would it be easier if nothing was cut away and just mixed up?

Can this be done without reencoding and just have the DVD player jump from chapter to chapter whereby chapters are located on different parts of the disc so that chapter 1 is physically located after chapter 2 on the DVD...
    Quote Quote