VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I did try to research the size of the discs I needed to do a 1:1 copy and found most movies needed 50G discs so that's what bought. I also bought some 25G because I read that some only need the cheaper smaller discs.

Do I really need to download and install all this software as the BDRebuilder says on their website? This is starting to get just a bit convoluted!

LAV Directshow Filters
    FFDSHOW
    Matroska Splitter
    AVISYNTH 2.57 or above
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You need AVISYNTH 2.57 or above or BD Rebuilder won't work. LAV Filters FFDSHOW and the Matroska Splitter are merely recommended, but I suggest following this recommendation. If you install LAV Filters, supposedly you don't need to install FFDSHOW and the Matroska Splitter.

You don't need BD Rebuilder at all if you are burning a 1:1 copy. You only need it if you are trying to reduce the size of a movie that is too large for 25GB discs.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 10th Dec 2016 at 13:51. Reason: Added more info. grammar
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So, I don't need BD Rebuilder? What DO I need?

My head is spinning at this point. Can't someone just say: you need the following software...(list here). Then...

Step 1, do this...
    Step 2, do this...
    Step 3, do this...
    Step 4, you are done!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by searay View Post

My head is spinning at this point. Can't someone just say: you need the following software...(list here). Then...

Step 1, do this...
    Step 2, do this...
    Step 3, do this...
    Step 4, you are done!
    I'm new to this myself so someone else can answer this better, I believe since you have 50gb discs you only need makeMKV and imgburn.

1) "In order to create backup, launch MakeMKV, select desired drive on main screen in "Source" box and press "backup" icon on a toolbar or select "Backup" from file menu. backup. Be sure to select "decrypt video files" on the next dialog."
    2) "Once you have the files and folders, open ImgBurn. In EZPicker mode you can use "Write files/folders to disc" to create a Blu-ray directly or use "Create image files from files/folders" and "Write image file to disc". You need BD media of sufficient capacity for burning."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Question for myself:

For bdrebuilder, I used the guide on https://www.dvd-guides.com/guides/blu-ray-copy/262-copy-blu-ray-using-bd-rebuilder and saved the changes for the audio settings. I noticed the settings -> encoder settings -> automatic quality settings is checkmarked by default, should that be on or off?
    Last edited by shiris; 11th Dec 2016 at 02:16.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by searay View Post

Step 1, do this...
    Step 2, do this...
    Step 3, do this...
    Step 4, you are done!
    I rarely rip Blu-ray discs, and when I have, it has just been to a hard drive. This is what I do if I'm using MakeMKV

1. Put the Blu-ray disc to be copied in the computer's Blu-ray drive tray.
    2. Open MakeMKV. MakeMKV will create a list of the available optical drives.
    3. Select the drive containing the Blu-ray disc to be copied in the "Source" box on the main screen.
    4. Press the "backup" icon (a picture of a folder) from the toolbar or select "Backup" from the File menu. A dialog window will appear.
    5. Check the box for "decrypt video files".
    6. Type a location to store the files and folders from the decryption process'
    7. Click OK
    8. Wait for the process to finish.

How to write a Blu-ray Video disc using ImgBurn
    http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?/topic/9512-how-to-write-a-blu-ray-video-disc-using-imgburn/

I burn lots of BD-R 25GB containing TV shows that I have recorded from my PC TV tuners. ImgBurn works perfectly well for burning Verbatim BD-R. I have never had a failed burn. I don't use BD-R DL because there is no need for it in my case. I can't say if there is a higher failure rate for Verbatim BD-R DL.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well, the MakeMKV part went fine (as usual).

When I tried to follow the ImgBurn suggested process (which is what I've usually done), I still have the same problem. MKV creates a .tgz file which ImgBurn can't use.

I used Winzip to unzip the file since I was told and verified .tgz is a zipped file. The unzipped files are: "driveatt.dat (2kb)" and "MKB_RO.inf. (1024kb). Obviously, these are not BR files. so I'm back to my post #20.

Is there a way to tell ImgBurn the type of file to create as the output? What the heck am I doing wrong? I'm 73 but not yet fossilized, so I've got to be missing something really ridiculously simple.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, the MakeMKV part went fine (as usual).

When I tried to follow the ImgBurn suggested process (which is what I've usually done), I still have the same problem. MKV creates a .tgz file which ImgBurn can't use.

I used Winzip to unzip the file since I was told and verified .tgz is a zipped file. The unzipped files are: "driveatt.dat (2kb)" and "MKB_RO.inf. (1024kb). Obviously, these are not BR files. so I'm back to my post #20.

Is there a way to tell ImgBurn the type of file to create as the output? What the heck am I doing wrong? I'm 73 but not yet fossilized, so I've got to be missing something really ridiculously simple.
    You are looking in the wrong place. There are similar tgz files in the MakeMKV folder in my User folder, but that folder doesn't contain the output from the decryption process. The output from the decryption process is elsewhere, in a folder that I selected in step 6. There are 2 folders that you need to burn, "BDMV" and "CERTIFICATE". Search your computer for "BDMV". "CERTIFICATE" should be in the same folder with "BDMV".
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 11th Dec 2016 at 15:38. Reason: Windows uses folders not directories.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you want to check the size of the main movie you can use BDInfo, Sometimes the main movie with just the language of your choice will fit onto a BD25 disk and then you won't have to shrink the movie, And if it does fit then use tsMuxer to create a Bluray folder then burn with your choice software, This is faster then shrinking with BDRebuilder.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I want to archive my BR (not all but some) in case of fire at home or else, for me it's like a backup. The BR disk 25G is cheaper than 50G and it all be OK for me. It is ridiculous but it’s a faq to me. The policies who assure my home don't replace at the same price and I do pay for the difference. The 50G, in Canada, is not cheaper and come from japan+shiping. I downloaded a trial of Dimo Video Converter and it completed the conversion well.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    usually_quiet,

Well, in my MakeMKV settings, my default destination directory is C:\Users\Jim/.MakeMKV. The attached image shows what I find in that directory:

The Pete's Dragon entry is a shortcut because as I said earlier, I used Winzip to extract the original Pete's Dragon .tgz file. The .dat and .inf files are the extracted files.

So where else could the files be? I've done a search on my computer and these are the ONLY MKB files found.

I registered on the MakeMKV website yesterday and the resulting answer to my post was pretty much what you have been saying in your posts to me.

Something's wrong and it's driving me nuts! I'm about ready to write off the purchase of MakeMKV as a learning experience.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	MakeMKV destination directory.JPG
Views:	212
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	39892  

Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    usually_quiet,

Well, in my MakeMKV settings, my default destination directory is C:\Users\Jim/.MakeMKV. The attached image shows what I find in that directory:

The Pete's Dragon entry is a shortcut because as I said earlier, I used Winzip to extract the original Pete's Dragon .tgz file. The .dat and .inf files are the extracted files.

So where else could the files be? I've done a search on my computer and these are the ONLY MKB files found.

I registered on the MakeMKV website yesterday and the resulting answer to my post was pretty much what you have been saying in your posts to me.

Something's wrong and it's driving me nuts! I'm about ready to write off the purchase of MakeMKV as a learning experience.
    This is the first time you mentioned which movie you are trying to copy. It is likely that MakeMKV has not yet been updated with the information it needs to rip "Pete's Dragon" since it was released quite recently. It doesn't matter which ripper you buy, there are times when you must wait to be able to copy some movies.

You don't need to find MKB files. There are 2 folders that you need to burn, "BDMV" and "CERTIFICATE", so that is why I asked you to look for "BDMV". As I wrote in my earlier post, "CERTIFICATE" should be in the same folder with "BDMV".

Over the weekend, I did a rip of "The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug" so I could write down the precise steps for you. It took MakeMKV about 30 minutes to finish ripping the complete backup. My destination folder was K:\Video\backup\THE_HOBBIT_DESOLATION_OF_SMAUG. THE_HOBBIT_DESOLATION_OF_SMAUG contains a total of 33.9 GB in 3 folders: BDMV, CERTIFICATE, and MAKEMKV.

Since you are seeing none of the folders that should result from a successful rip, it looks like "Pete's Dragon" is too new for MakeMKV to copy.

[Edit]I have no idea why you can't find any files or folders for "Jurasic Park". It is not a new movie, and MakeMKV can only produce Blu-ray rips as MKV files (i.e moviename.mkv) or complete backups of the BDMV and CERTIFICATE folders.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 12th Dec 2016 at 14:48.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Also check the size of the folder you created after you rip the movie to it then check the size of the bluray disk, Both of them should be pretty close to the same, If not then it is not ripping it, Pete's Dragon worked fine for me using AnyDVD HD so I would think MKV should work.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    usually_quiet and tarzan54,

I got another post on the MakeMKV forum. This was suggested: ""Load a BD. Click on "Backup". What directory shows up under "Please specify output directory"?"".

That was the problem! MakeMKV was actually sending the BDMV and CERTIFICATE files to C:\Video\backup, NOT the default directory specified in "Settings". I have no idea why Windows Explorer did not (and still doesn't) find these files.

Now I will try a burn and see what happens.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    usually_quiet and tarzan54,

I got another post on the MakeMKV forum. This was suggested: ""Load a BD. Click on "Backup". What directory shows up under "Please specify output directory"?"".

That was the problem! MakeMKV was actually sending the BDMV and CERTIFICATE files to C:\Video\backup, NOT the default directory specified in "Settings". I have no idea why Windows Explorer did not (and still doesn't) find these files.

Now I will try a burn and see what happens.
    Step 6 meant type in an answer to "Please specify output directory" in the dialog window. I guess the description of what to do there needed to be more explicit.

BDMV and CERTIFICATE are folders. They each contain a number of files and sub-folders. I have no idea why you could not find the "BDMV" folder. When I typed "BDMV" into the Windows Explorer search box, Windows had no trouble finding the BDMV folder for me. ...and I had I set up the search to examine the entire computer, not just one drive or the Libraries.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    usually_quiet, I never looked at that because I had already verified the output directory in the "Settings". My bad. Why even have a "Default directory" if it really isn't?

My heartfelt thanks to you and everyone who took the time to try to help me. I will repost if Verbatim delivers on a different batch of 50G discs and they either work or fail.

Merry Christmas to everyone and your loved ones.

searay
    Image Attached Images  
    Quote Quote  
  16. I bought a 50 disc spindle of the Verbatim DL BD-R and burned through the lot using ImgBurn, verify, checksums, and an LG WH14NS40. Not a single coaster (well, except for the one I messed up, but that was user error). Anyway that is nearly 2.5 TB of data (actually slightly less since they are never 100% full). Granted these are data discs, not br rips, but a number of them contain ISOs of BDMV I have authored. I am surprised you experienced problems. When I am really concerned about data integrity, I use Panasonic SL BD-R. However, these are hard to source and the two spindles I have took around 2 months to ship from Japan. Good luck!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sameself,

What OS are you using? I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate. My burner is a external USB ASUS BW-12D1S-U . The burn failures on the Verbatim 50G DL discs always seem to happen when ImgBurn tries to switch to the second layer after the first layer is full.

I just realized the ASUS burner is controlled by the Win 7 cd-rom driver which is dated 6/21/2006. Trying to update this driver using the Windows driver update in the Control panel comes back saying the current driver is the most recent. I don't know if Dual Layer BR discs were even available back then.

Could it be the driver only handles single layer BR discs? There are no drivers available for this burner on the ASUS website.

I'm still trying to figure this out.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My burner is a external USB ASUS BW-12D1S-U . The burn failures on the Verbatim 50G DL discs always seem to happen when ImgBurn tries to switch to the second layer after the first layer is full.

I just realized the ASUS burner is controlled by the Win 7 cd-rom driver which is dated 6/21/2006. Trying to update this driver using the Windows driver update in the Control panel comes back saying the current driver is the most recent. I don't know if Dual Layer BR discs were even available back then.

Could it be the driver only handles single layer BR discs? There are no drivers available for this burner on the ASUS website.

Both of my Blu-ray burners also use Microsoft's drivers. Probably every Blu-ray burner installed in a Windows 7 PC uses those same drivers, so I don't think drivers are the issue.

Sometimes firmware updates are issued for optical drives to fix problems or add support for a new type of media, but there are none for your drive at the ASUS website. The drive's specs say it can burn BD-R DL.

The burner itself is likely to be the problem. USB Blu-ray drives don't always work as well for burning media as SATA-connected burners. It can be a power-related issue or a data transfer issue. Your drive has its own power supply, so it must be a problem with data transfer.

[Edit]Recalling a past thread, your burner works well for some people, but works poorly for others.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 15th Dec 2016 at 11:45.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hmmmm...I bought on Amazon. I need to see if my return period is up. Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Does your laptop have an eSATA port?
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sameself,

What OS are you using? I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate. My burner is a external USB ASUS BW-12D1S-U . The burn failures on the Verbatim 50G DL discs always seem to happen when ImgBurn tries to switch to the second layer after the first layer is full.

here are the specs for your burner - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA8UC39Z2568
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I don't think so, my laptop is a 2008 Dell Inspiron 1520. I don't think it is even upgradeable. The only upgrades I made are to install a 2TB drive and maxed out the available memory to 4Gb. The processor is a Intel Core 2 Duo T7100 1.8GHz.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't think so, my laptop is a 2008 Dell Inspiron 1520. I don't think it is even upgradeable. The only upgrades I made are to install a 2TB drive and maxed out the available memory to 4Gb. The processor is a Intel Core 2 Duo T7100 1.8GHz.
    If there is no way to replace the existing DVD drive with a compatible laptop Blu-ray drive, then in theory, it may be possible to temporarily remove the existing DVD drive in your laptop, connect a standard 5.25 inch Blu-ray burner to its SATA port with a SATA data cable, and power the drive with this combination of equipment:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812123309
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812200061
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by searay View Post
    Sameself,

Hi searay,

I am currently on Windows 10 Pro x64 Anniversary Update. And prior to that I was on Windows 7 Pro x64, and my burner works fine under both (I keep my Win7 build image handy, so it is always a few minutes away). I also don't install any custom drivers for my burner. I just use the native Windows drivers. And the differences in Windows Pro, Home, Ultimate, etc. are superficial when it comes to device drivers. So I don't think the OS or drivers are the problem. I am not currently on my machine, so I can't tell you what date my drivers are, but my burner is internal, not external like yours. And while your burner supposedly supports DL, I would think when burning that much data, you really need a rock steady laser that is afforded by a solid PC case versus a wobbly external drive. Those spinning discs create a lot of torque. Probably not what you want to hear, but unless someone else chimes in and can vouch for burning DL with an external drive, I would point to that being the problem.

Also, lasers wear out. How long have you had your burner? How much have you burned/read of other optical media? I also have a CD/DVD burner in my PC. Therefore, I use my bluray burner strictly for burning BD-R/RW as I do not want to wear out the laser burning/reading other media. Like I said, >2.5 TB later, still going strong.
    Quote Quote  
  25. searay, what burn speed are you using?
    Reason I ask is some that are new to burning set rate too high which can cause problems.
    I haven't burned any DL discs but for blu-ray single layer I always use 4x.

Perhaps others that use dual layer can suggest rate they use.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I had problems with external burners too, Never had a problem with my internal burner when burning DL disks at 2x which is what I always use for burning and like Steve says I always burn single layer disks at 4x.
    Quote Quote  
  27. I burn all mine at 4x. In fact, ImgBurn complains if I set the write speed to anything other than AWS or 4x for the Verbatim DL BD-R which are rated for 4x. So, I doubt searay's problem is burn speed.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    If there is no way to replace the existing DVD drive with a compatible laptop Blu-ray drive, then in theory, it may be possible to temporarily remove the existing DVD drive in your laptop, connect a standard 5.25 inch Blu-ray burner to its SATA port with a SATA data cable, and power the drive with this combination of equipment:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812123309
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812200061
    Never mind. The advice above won't work for a 2008 Inspiron 1520. I forgot that a laptop from 2008 may use an IDE-connected optical drive. It appears the Inspiron 1520 does, because I was looking into possible upgrades and found this: http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/dell-inspiron-1520-viable-after-market-upgrades.614972/

[Edit] Since an Inspiron 1520 is such an old model and has only USB 2.0, it is possible that no external Blu-ray drive is going to work for burning BD-R DL 50GB.

I'm not sure why burning BD-R DL fails using an LG internal Blu-ray drive in the Dell Dimension E520. It has only SATA I (SATA 1.5 Gbps), but 4x is 144 Mbps, so that should be fast enough.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 16th Dec 2016 at 11:42.
    Quote Quote