VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    With the risk to be totally off-topic I have to ask the audience if they know where to get the quicktime plugin for Firefox 3? I don't want to download the whole damn' thing bundled with i-Tunes and really not wanting to install something like K-Lite codec pack in this lifetime. Thanks for any hint.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Apple has always (well, as far as I'm aware; I could be wrong) had a standalone bundle (Quicktime alone, not including iTunes). For a while, though, they just made it rather hard to find.

For the non-iTunes bundle, go to http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/ and pick "QuickTime 7.5 for Windows XP
    or Vista".

Or, you can install Quicktime Alternative, but I'm not sure about the legality of that one.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just download QuickTime Alternative or QT-Lite. It will only install the quicktime codecs and plugin without itunes and other crap.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hmm.. I have QT alternative v1.78. I see there's a newer one, so will try. Tnx.

PS: Is this what you're recommending working for you?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK, the newest version is registering properly (works). Tnx.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm glad I found this thread first because my problem falls under this topic exactly. I'm having trouble getting MOV files to stream in Firefox 3. Before when I had Firefox 2, it would stream in the browser. But now, when I click the link, it prompts me to save the MOV instead. I have tried setting Firefox to open it with Quicktime Player but it actually opens up Quicktime and plays in that. By the way, the streaming works in IE6 so I don't think it's Quicktime, rather, it's Firefox 3.

Does anyone know what browser plugin it uses that I can update? I don't see a Quicktime plugin mentioned in the Add-Ons window. My version of Quicktime is 7.1.4. I cannot update to 7.5 because I still use Windows 2000. Quicktime Alternative also don't seem to support as far back as 2000. Any help is appreciated!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    In FF3, I would first check Tools->Options->Applications Tab, then find the relevant extension and lastly choose 'Ask first' instead of 'Save' file. Naturally, you might have done so already, but just to be sure. The QT plugin version should be 7.5 (861) if I remember correctly. But then again, you are on Windows 2000 so sorry, someone else might be able to help you more.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by geonuine
    In FF3, I would first check Tools->Options->Applications Tab, then find the relevant extension and lastly choose 'Ask first' instead of 'Save' file. Naturally, you might have done so already, but just to be sure. The QT plugin version should be 7.5 (861) if I remember correctly. But then again, you are on Windows 2000 so sorry, someone else might be able to help you more.
    It is already on "Ask first". I have the option to open with Quicktime or save it. Since it streams in IE, I don't think it is Quicktime's problem.

Edit:
    I found the problem. It seems all Quicktime 7.1.* versions have security issues in Firefox 3 and Mozilla had to block it. I will try installing Quicktime 7.0.4.
    Quote Quote