VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hi everyone.

Been backing up some files from an "old" internal sata drive to a external 5TB drive, i disconnected my current ssd drive and connected the sata drive which had win10 installed, booted fine and managed to backup the files, when i turned windows 10 off the pc light continued on but everything seemed off but i had to manually turn the power off, after that i connected the ssd drive but when trying to open the 5tb drive it says location not available, disk management sees it, tried to boot from ubuntu but 5tb drive doesnt mount so i went back to the old sata drive, booted ok and external drive was recognized, booted back to the ssd drive and same thing happens, can anyone tell me whats causing this?

Thanks, heres a screenshot
    [Attachment 64918 - Click to enlarge]
    Last edited by ricardouk; 22nd May 2022 at 10:14.
    I love it when a plan comes together!
    Quote Quote  
  2. There is a problem with the file system on f:
    Boot with the sata windiws 10, connect the drive f and check if you see the files on drive f.
    Is so, then execute a file system check on drive f (chkdsk F: /f).
    Last edited by ProWo; 22nd May 2022 at 10:56.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi ProWo: here's a quick summary

sata drive: windows 10, external hard drive shows up, windows doesnt shutdown properly
    ssd drive: windows 10, external drive doesnt show up
    ubuntu 20.04 - external drive doesnt mount.

thanks for your advice, i dont want to mess with it a lot since its the only backup i have of certain stuff.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just noticed your edit... the external drive shows up when using the sata win10 drive, i opened files etc, no probs, will try your suggestion.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It wasnt showing up on either now, so i booted my usuall ssd and ran that command and ...its showing up again, something about file index and tables errors.

Thanks a lot ProWo
    Quote Quote  
  6. Fine to hear.
    In the future disconnect the usb drive with the utility in the systray (click on the arrow to the right of the taskbar).
    Quote Quote