VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My JVC GR-D350AG is connected w/firewire cable to my LG notebok.
    The camera is correctly controled from the computer which seems to mean that the
    firewire connection works.
    However the video is corrupted (in any format, tried all) by Movie Maker capture function
    and can't be stored (captures only some pics of the movie instead of the
    movie itself).
    some of you suggested to download an XP patch for 1394 (Update for
    Windows XP (KB885222)) but some other said it created more problems.

Does the problem really comes from XP sp2 & 1394 ?
    Can this patch solve it ? Can anybody help and recommend a valid patch for XP & 1394 ?
    Any other idea will be gladly welcome?

thanks
    Dan
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    try winDV, save as a type II avi and maybe a different cable.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by dmark
    The camera is correctly controled from the computer which seems to mean that the
    firewire connection works.
    All that tells you is that the transport control part of the FireWire connection works.

Windows communicates with camcorders on two levels via FireWire. One is for simple control functions (play, rewind etc etc). The other is for the transfer of the DV data.

When a camcorder is connected, multiple programs can access the transport control part at the same time. e.g., Movie Maker and some other program can control the camcorder at the same time. However, the DV part can only be accessed by one program. If another program is already using the DV part, then Movie Maker won't be able to access it. So, it will see the camcorder as being connected and can control it but the video will be missing - or you'll get an error message.

With XP (32-bit only, not Vista), a good test is to connect the camcorder but do nothing. Open My Computer and look for a folder called "Sony DV Camcorder" or similar. Open the folder - you will see a video window. Play a tape. You should see it in the video window. If not, make sure you haven't got any odd video utilities running (usually Pinnacle/Roxio/Nero). If the video is erratic - e.g., frames missing here and there, you probably have a hardware clash with your FireWire interface, usually an interrupt problem.

Using the My Computer folder to check for the video is about the most simple way to do it. If it doesn't show up properly in the video window, it is very unlikely any other application will see it properly. I doubt using WinDV will help at all since it uses exactly the same parts of the operating system to capture the DV as Movie Maker (and nearly every other DV application) does.

On the other hand, if the live video shows up in My Computer correctly and you are getting corrupt capture files then that can mean problems with your hard drive being too fragmented or other applications interfering during capture etc. If the frames in the video look corrupt, it probably isn't a classic frame dropping issue and, again, other capture programs are not likely to help you.
    John Miller
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    hey johnny - i thought maybe we could get him to do the easy stuff first. eliminate a bad cable and use winDV to see if it's dropping frames. if so the laptop may be to slow or running to many processes to keep up.

but the ramble was nice anyway
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  5. I agree - a very good starting point for troubleshooting.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    How I did it!!

Mkay, just on the chance it might help someone out, here is how I was able to get movies from my son's JVC GR-770U to the PC.

The PC is running XP, 32-bit.

Closed all programs
    Connected the 4-pin to 4 pin DV cable between the PC and the JVC Camcorder.
    Turned on the camcorder, put it in Play mode.
    Rewound the tape, and started it playing.
    Opened My Computer, and located the JVC Camcorder, clicked that.
    It showed the film, running.
    Closed My Computer (Windows Explorer)
    Left the movie continue to play on the JVC
    Opened Movie Maker
    File>Capture Video
    Named the video and chose the save location
    Left the selection at the top it on Best for My PC (although actually, the first time through, I chose DV-AVI, which also worked, but is a huuuuuge file; importantly, Best for My PC still allows you to edit the clips, etc.)
    Chose Capture Entire Video and left the Create Clips checked, too.
    Clicked Next, and it took over from there, I watched it stop the running tape, rewind it, and capture as it played in the preview window.

I don't know, and I don't have the time to check it, now, but I think all in all, it had something to do with a) having the tape running at the time I got underway, and/or b) NOT having the tape already rewound.

I think the first several times we tried, I was trying to use File>Import Video, instead of File>Capture Video - which is a whole other thing - Import is for once you get it Captured.

Anyway, I really hope this helps someone. Myself, I'm just glad to have figured out our particular problem, with our particular camera.

-Mark

[ETA; If I've put this in the wrong place, or under the wrong question, etc., I apologize - just wanted it somewhere for someone]
    Quote Quote