VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I follow a German celebrity. No surprise most of her videos are in German. I'm looking for something that can translate or transcribe a video/audio? The principle is tediously simple because you tube can transcribe on-the-fly. Is an essential part of a video editors toolkit so Any ideas?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Don't know of any simple way to do that. Maybe extract the audio, then use a program that transcribes that audio into text. Then feed that text into Google translate. Then when that is done do the reverse. Text into audio then merge into the video. But I don't think you will be happy with the result as Google is not perfect in the translations.
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    +1

Even the best speech to text software is far from perfect and auto translation of text is also lacking. If there's uncommon terms, both software will fall even shorter in translation. The only way to get an accurate and clean translation is to have it done manually.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Hence I put video audio, but have you got any ideas of any application that can transcribe or translate audio file? Again the principle is simple and exists because Google translate will translate audio 'as you talk' but it only works with live audio via the mic and not with an audio file
    I'm not looking for perfection, just a quick and easy method of having a clue what she's saying. Google already have it all, just not in the right format. So I figure somebody must be doing it even if I have to pay

Originally Posted by TreeTops View Post
    .... Maybe extract the audio, then use a program that transcribes that audio into text. Then feed that text into Google translate... I don't think you will be happy with the result

Last edited by Goshite; 21st Feb 2021 at 03:08.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    https://www.diyvideostudio.com/auto-transcribe-video-to-text-free/

The recommended method makes sense and is the easiest. Upload the video to Youtube. Even if it's taken down for copyright, hopefully you'd be able download the subtitles before it's taken down. Use a disposable account in case you get banned.*

*Hopefully this is okay to post. If not, I apologize mods.

The other methods require you to play the audio through a mike. Straight forward enough with a second device, phone or tablet for example.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    I've tried that already but Google translate, and the other 15 apps quit after a 1 second break in conversation which is every time she takes a breath (as actual designed-in annoyance). You would think it would be real easy but I think I found a gap in the market. I'll try uploading to yt but I'm not sure it translate without specific permission from the author. Frustrating because I know she wouldn't mind �� she has 1000s fans worldwide

Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
    .... The other methods require you to play the audio through a mike. Straight forward enough with a second device, phone or tablet for example.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sounds like you either need a better mike or better playback device/speakers as the software isn't recognizing it as normal speech. Try changing the volume and placement of the mike. There may be some noise or other background sound that's confusing the software. You might trying running it through Audicity to clean up, isolate and enhance the speech. Our ears are much better at deciphering less than clear speech and filtering out background noise.

Try contacting the other fans to see if someone is willing/able to translate. If it's a short video, try fiverr.com to have someone do a manual translation. Audio translation usually runs a couple of dollars a minute.

Despite your claim that speech to text translation is easy, it's not. Youtube and Google have spent millions on development of the technology. They're able to offer it free because it their augments their [other] services, which generates ad money. This is why other programs only offer a sample and require payment for more.
    Last edited by lingyi; 21st Feb 2021 at 06:55.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Nope. Google translate recognises speech very clearly via the mic and transcribes it 'as you talk', the limitation of a 1/2 service pause is by design, it just frustrates my specific needs.

Google can spend billions on technology and give it away for free, I'm just saying it already exists, just to head off any claims that my request has any technical hurdles, because it doesn't. But it appears there's no out of the box solution for this simple problem so I think I'm going to have to try using you tube to do it, again

Sounds like you either need a better mike or better playback device/speakers as the software isn't recognizing it as normal speech. ......

Despite your claim that speech to text translation is easy, it's not. Youtube and Google have spent millions on development of the technology......
    Quote Quote  
  9. There are reasonably priced commercial services such as Simon Says and Rev that use AI and are quite good if the sound is half-decent. If you have a Microsoft Office 365 account you are allowed a certain number of hours of voice to text a month. Adobe is building it into Premiere and it is currently available in the beta version. No idea if they will charge extra for it. You already know about YouTube.

It feels to me like we're on the cusp of this getting easier and cheaper, but I've certainly been wrong before.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Goshite View Post
    Nope. Google translate recognises speech very clearly via the mic and transcribes it 'as you talk', the limitation of a 1/2 service pause is by design, it just frustrates my specific needs.

Google can spend billions on technology and give it away for free, I'm just saying it already exists, just to head off any claims that my request has any technical hurdles, because it doesn't. But it appears there's no out of the box solution for this simple problem so I think I'm going to have to try using you tube to do it, again

Sounds like you either need a better mike or better playback device/speakers as the software isn't recognizing it as normal speech. ......

Despite your claim that speech to text translation is easy, it's not. Youtube and Google have spent millions on development of the technology......
    Try speeding up the audio to shorten the speaker's pauses. Also, play with the pitch of the speech as that may help recognition. Lots of things to play around with the audio to try and make it more intelligible to the software. I don't know if the AI adapts to repeated speech patterns, but playing around may help. I agree that Google and Youtube have the funding to develop the best software, which is why they're the go programs.
    Last edited by lingyi; 21st Feb 2021 at 12:50.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Just watch the closed captions on TV. They can't even get that right. Every other word is gibberish.
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Goshite View Post
    ... The principle is tediously simple because you tube can transcribe on-the-fly. ...
    Youtube is owned by Google, and I'm pretty sure it uses Google Translate for that. Google Translate may seem to run on your computer but it actually runs on an enormous server farm that cost over a billion $$$. It's NOT simple.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    This thread is like Air Guitarists watching a slomo of Eddie Van Halen and thinking "what's the difficulty? I can do that!".

Smh

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    This thread is like Air Guitarists watching a slomo of Eddie Van Halen and thinking "what's the difficulty? I can do that!".

Smh

Scott

Try some Linux forums and read the C/C## threads. "How hard can it be""?
    Quote Quote