VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I have a French anime DVD of an OVA that was only released on VHS in Japan. The DVD uses the same master that the VHS used, so it was interlaced, possibly D2. I want to convert it back to NTSC 23.976fps. Is that possible and easy to do?

I grabbed a plug in for avisynth that I mistaked for a PAL to NTSC convertor, but it was actually the other way around. I was actually able to recover and almost full progressive video within it with just a few blends left over from the conversion. But when I tried to output, it was 10fps! Despite me telling it 23.976fps. So it seems like it CAN be done based on what I was able to recover in that plug in, but I guess I just need the CORRECT one/ones! I have also seen Sailor Moon mkvs marked as having the R4 Madman DVDs as the source, and are progressive 24fps. I do not own the dvds so I do not know how the conversion was done. From memory, the Jp dvds are progressive, so maybe it was a simple 24fps-> 25fps conversion. The pitch is correct as well. I want to buy these dvds to check them out as they use the R2 DVD source rather than the hideous "blu-ray" version. Other DVD releases also use the shitty bd source rather than the R2 dvds.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Usually Srestore in Avisynth works. Post a sample of the VOB,
    you can use DGindex to cut a m2v sample
    Quote Quote  
  3. And include a long panning shot in the sample.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Okay, thanks! Will do! I will rip the DVD tonight or tomorrow.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by SegaSonic91 View Post
    Write about the result, I am also interested in this question.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Appoloh View Post
    Originally Posted by SegaSonic91 View Post
    Write about the result, I am also interested in this question.
    Will do! I just found and ripped the DVD, so I will post a clip in the morning. It is currently 3:11am here >_<;
    Quote Quote  
  7. Since it is anime, that may complicate things.

For film, it is easy:

1. If it was encoded as 23.976 fps, and they simply set the pulldown flag, you just rip it and use it. Otherwise, if it is hard-telecined (the duplicated fields are actually included on the DVD) then you have to remove those using the TFM/TDecimate pair that are included in IVTC.

2. Once you have your 23.976, you can decide what to do. If your Australian equipment can play it, which I suspect it might, I'd just leave it as is and be done. Do you really need to do the 24-->25 fps PAL speedup?

Finally, as I said above, the anime cadence could make everything very difficult. It's impossible to tell until we get your sample.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Why don't you just leave it alone, converting back to NTSC will degrade it further. You can rip the disc and make the rip as MPEG-2 in mkv container as one single file and you can watch it on almost any TV.
    Quote Quote