VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I tried many times to to activate my dutch subtitles in handbrake. No use! Can somebody tells me step by step, what I have to do so that handbrake accept my dutch subtitle?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    i never really understand how to burn subtitles to video in Handbrake. If you have some settings that can be replicated you can use Avidemux and in filter/subtitles choose your subtitles that will be burned into video. I suggest you to convert them to UTF-8 as dutch has also special characters.
    This is all I can tell you. Also without any modification avidemux has better aac (FDK) codec, that can be somehow (tutorial is here on videohelp) enabled in Handbrake too.
    First time converting srt to SSA/AAS will take a few seconds, but you needn't worry about it. Then in preview you can see how subtitles will look in video.

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thks, I gonna try it with Avidemux. I tried it also with vidcoder (like me a compagnon from handbrake) but also no use.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    I forgot to add, that the conversion to UTF-8 has to be done in some external program. You can use Subtitle edit, probably some text editor. Avidemux does not do conversion of subtitles to different coding. But probably you have them already in UTF-8.
    In subtitle edit, you just opened subtitles, in midle of the screen on top, you choose Unicode 8 or UTF-8 and simply saves subs. This conversion is biggest problem of whole process.

Edit - but you can do this in normal notepad, just open - Save as here choose UTF-8 and everything should be o.k. Supposing you have srt subtitles.

Bernix
    Last edited by Bernix; 6th Sep 2018 at 15:16. Reason: Adding Edit
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My video file was already in UTF-8. Now I'v transformed my str into SSA/AAS and I vinkt on in Avidermux the aac (FDK) audio codec. In Avidemux subtitle movie screen I can see the subtitles
    are accept into the movie. But now is my question: how to I keep this settings and with witch apps can I play it?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Now I don't understand you. In filters there is preview button. And you can see there.
    So step by step. Suposing you have UTF-8 srt subtitles and video called video.mp4
    Open video file. Under video output choose codec, that you want to be video encoded (it is rolled button like where is on start copy). Setup settings of codec this is bellow where you choose codec. Then you can do same with audio. Choose codec and bitrate. Now under Video section (where you set-up video codec etc) There is button filters. Go to this on left side choose subtitles. There is only one filter then. SSA/AAS/SRT. double click on it. Open your srt file. It will take few moments preparing fonts and convert to SSA for first time. And done.
    In filters window, there is preview button in bottom right. Press it. And you can use slider to move in any part of film or use play button to see filters in preview. So you should now see subtitles in video.
    Click close button next to preview button in filter window. And press discette icon. It is save as. It will save your movie as you set it up.
    I hope, you want to recompress, there is not other way to burn subtitles to video. Otherwise you can just mux them or leave them in same folder with same name as video.

Edit: Videofile can't be in UTF-8. UTF-8 is for coding text. So subtitles (srt file should be in UTF-8)

Bernix
    Last edited by Bernix; 6th Sep 2018 at 16:41. Reason: Edit
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry for my later answer but I'v tried different options.
    The transformation str to SSA/AAS was no problem. The real problem was saving the videofile. I recieved many errors.
    First I used an mkv videofile. As codec: mpeg; audio FDK; output mkv. I recieved as error: error seeking to 4294967337ms.
    Then I convert my mkv to a mp4 videofile and got as error: only MP4Video, H264 and H265 supported. (Strange it was an mp4 file?)
    Then I'v changed the codec in NvidiaH264 and it gave me as error:
    bitrate Low?
    I was helpless and did a prove. I used my original videofile in combination with the ssa/aas subtitles and converted it as output: avi. It worked.
    Only I find the videofile dimensions to high. Original it was about 6GB en now 3GB. I hoped a lower result. Possible?
    But so, my subtitles are now into my movie and I thank you verry mutch for your kind support.
    P.S. I use offen another app to convert my filmfiles with subtitles and I find that app is the best: QtlMovie. The only problem is that the subtitles are a little to small I find no way to make them bigger. But that's not so important.
    Thks.
    John.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    yes there are not all codecs supported in all container. Where you will watching movies? What device or only on PC? mpeg2 is not as powerfull as MPEG4 AVC, which can be played nowadays almost on every device. You have to learn how to use settings in codecs, also MPEG2 with AAC is unusual but probably playable on PC in mkv. Not sure about mp4 container, but think it will not allow it.

So videocodec mpeg4 AVC + Audiocodec AAC(FDK) and with reasonable settings you should get decent quality with small file size.

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thks again.
    John
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'v experimented now serveral times with Avidemux. I used different codecs and outputs. No Use. My conclusion: this is even worse as handbrake self. It is very difficult to find the right settings to get conversions I like i.m. a accepatble movie worth to look and in small dimenssion, because I like to stock them on an external HD.
    Until now I find Qtlmovie and freemake the best. Unfortunally freemake is not freeware when you need small subtitles. Otherwise qtlmovie is very very good, but the subtitles are a little to small.
    So, my question: is there any good freeware conversion program that give me a solution?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    to use the Avidemux and other software like Hybrid or even Megui best, you have to understand how codecs works. Their basic settings. Otherwise you can't get good result. Quality and size. Said use different codecs? Why? To setup AVC codec properly choose acceptable CRF for H.264 18-22 (you have to experiment hereú and some preset = medium (for you seems this best) and you can get good results. BTW, there is no difference in compression using Handbrake or Avidemux. It is matter of settings. And you can get more from Avidemux then from Handbrake, but you have to learn about compression settings.

Howgh.
    Bernix
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'v download Hybrid en Megui to and even StaxRip too to learn more about conversions, codec etc. I try to use them.
    As you told me "you have to understand how codecs works".
    A question: can you, with your knowlege, give me some basic hints about the most settings I need for a good conversion, subtitles included.
    Maybe is that a hopeless question because all the programs are different. But maybe you can give me some important general information.
    I am very thankful for any help.
    John
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    Best way doesn't exist. I supose you will be use x264 or x265 codec. Most people do CRF (constant rate factor) conversion. Disadvantage is unpredicteable filesize advantage is constant quality. So can you. There are predefined presets from Ultrafast (do not use it since you have very very weak computer) to Placebo (also do not use it) so say use preset medium. On some short HQ clip test various CRF values. Try start f.e. with CRF 24. If it looks ugly for you try CRF 22 and so on, till you find your exported video good for you. Presets are predefined for users that don't want to mess with many of settings that can be tuned in codec.
    Also I prefer container MKV over MP4. But it is not big problem. And audio format aac. 128kbps AAC for stereo should be ok for majority, but there are also audiophiles that need at least 192kbps. In audio there is no need to spare bits. If you have original audio around 100-200kbps probably no conversion is needed. But AAC is much more effective than mp3. It is Advanced audio coding. But codecs for this AAC are very different in quality at lower bitrate. For example aac codec used in Handbrake or in Vidcoder is terible. So FDK or Nero or Apple codecs are I think accepted as good codecs.
    So I suggest you some easy program to begin with. Avidemux (problem with batch processing it somehow allows it but it is somehow difficult) Handbrake and vidcoder have poor audio codec. Probably best to start with Avidemux, and when you become familiar you find you own CRF value, then switch to for say Hybrid. MeGui seems to me be bit complicated.

There is lot of sites describing in details what each settings mean. You can read them and once you will be fed up with presets you can try your own settings.

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you for your indications. They are very useful for me. I'm surely gonna try them all.
    Greeting.
    John
    Quote Quote