VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    Panasonic dvd bluray player HDD recorder (BS850) copies a video from its HDD as a DVD_RTAV folder to a DVD-RAM disc. I then copied it via PC optical drive onto PC HDD. Now I wish to view that video again on the Panasonic.
    Took an hour to write the files back to the dvd-ram disc then Panasonic BD850 said No Title and saw nothing.
    Panasonic tell me its because panasonic not allowed to read video on DVD-RAM written by a PC.
    Is there a way around this as its crazy that what started life on the panny cant be got back to it for further viewing.

DBenz
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    No.
    Those RTAV folders are only "folders" to PCs. Realtime AV recording onto DVD-RAM discs follows a specific standard which, similar to DVD-Video and DVD-VR, primarily uses absolute sector addressing for playback. In many ways, the filesystem is an afterthought (less so on BDs, but still).
    On your original disc you've got data that references certain absolute sectors, if you copy that data to a PC, those sectors don't match. Nor do they match if you arbitrarily "copy" back to DVD-RAM, where the PC doesn't care which specific LBA/Sector it gets put in or references.
    If you want, you could demux the assets in the RTAV folder into standard raw or remuxed into standard mpg (system, program, transport) streams, so they'd be viewable in standard media players. but forget viewing via the Panny deck.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If I follow that, and video language loses me at times, there is no way I can just edit copy edit paste the RVD_RTAV folder and its contents back onto a formatted (in Panny) ram disc.
    I need to convert to mpg.

If I write mpg to that disc (in a drag drop fashion) will Panny see it, or do I need to author a dvd using TMPG Authoring Works for example.

DBenz
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DBenz View Post
    If I follow that, and video language loses me at times, there is no way I can just edit copy edit paste the RVD_RTAV folder and its contents back onto a formatted (in Panny) ram disc.
    I need to convert to mpg.

If I write mpg to that disc (in a drag drop fashion) will Panny see it, or do I need to author a dvd using TMPG Authoring Works for example.

DBenz
    You would need to use authoring software to produce a DVD from the mpg files that a is playable with a Panasonic DVD recorder, but I think you might need to use DVD-R or DVD-RW media. I don't think Panasonic recorders supported anything but their own -VR mode on DVD-RAM.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    hey there, check this topic -- i think it might help you come with some answer..best
    cheers,
    an editor website acewriters
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    No. A panny consumer bd player in need of firmware updates to support newer features and/or updated aacs compliance is not even close to the topic of a panny dvd-ram recorder supporting recordings that it didn't make.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I agree with Cornucopia.

The Panasonic DMR-BS850 is a Blu-ray recorder, but I don't think a firmware update would help DBenz.

DBenz wants to copy a recording originally made by his DMR-BS850 from his PC to the DMR-BS850's hard drive. His recorder can dub recordings (in -VR mode) from DVD-RAM to the HDD. His idea was to use the PC to create a VR-mode recording on DVD-RAM, but there is currently no means to correctly replicate such recordings. However, according to the manual, the DMR-BS850 can also copy video and audio from a DVD video disk to its hard drive.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 1st Feb 2018 at 11:04. Reason: clarity
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote