VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm curious about FFMPEG and GPU hardware acceleration. My Windows 10 system uses the Asus / nVidia GTX 760 graphics card and Intel i5-2500K CPU. My graphics card claims to be of the Kepler architecture with CUDA 3.0 as shown here.

Instead of going through the hassles of compiling FFMPEG with hw acceleration support i downloaded a pre-compiled binary from here and here.

Next, i tried running a test with hw acceleration options as recommended by nVidia here:

ffmpeg -y -vsync 0 -hwaccel cuda -hwaccel_output_format cuda -i "input.mkv" -c:a copy -c:v h264_nvenc "output.mp4"

I then received the error message:

[h264_nvenc @ 000001c34eeda8c0] Lossless encoding not supported
    [h264_nvenc @ 000001c34eeda8c0] Provided device doesn't support required NVENC features
    Error initializing output stream 0:0 -- Error while opening encoder for output stream #0:0 - maybe incorrect parameters such as bit_rate, rate, width or height

What am i doing wrong? For the record i installed the CUDA Setup file but it made no difference. I am using the latest nVidia drivers.
    Last edited by tempes1971; 10th Jul 2022 at 17:20.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tempes1971 View Post
    I'm curious about FFMPEG and GPU hardware acceleration. My Windows 10 system uses the Asus / nVidia GTX 760 graphics card and Intel i5-2500K CPU. My graphics card claims to be of the Kepler architecture with CUDA 3.0 as shown here.

Instead of going through the hassles of compiling FFMPEG with hw acceleration support i downloaded a pre-compiled binary from here and here.

Next, i tried running a test with hw acceleration options as recommended by nVidia here:

ffmpeg -y -i "input.mkv" -vsync 0 -filter:v -hwaccel cuda -hwaccel_output_format cuda -c:a copy -c:v h264_nvenc "output.mp4"

I then received the error message:

[NULL @ 000002257f4af540] Unable to find a suitable output format for 'cuda'
    cuda: Invalid argument

What am i doing wrong? For the record i installed the CUDA Setup file but it made no difference. I am using the latest nVidia drivers.
    try it like this - ffmpeg -hwaccel cuda -hwaccel_output_format cuda -i input.mp4 -c:v h264_nvenc -b:v 5M output.mp4
    https://developer.nvidia.com/blog/nvidia-ffmpeg-transcoding-guide/
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    try it like this - ffmpeg -hwaccel cuda -hwaccel_output_format cuda -i input.mp4 -c:v h264_nvenc -b:v 5M output.mp4
    https://developer.nvidia.com/blog/nvidia-ffmpeg-transcoding-guide/

Ok, here's the updated command:

ffmpeg -hwaccel cuda -hwaccel_output_format cuda -i "input.mkv" -c:v h264_nvenc -b:v 5M "output.mkv"

The new error message is:

[h264_nvenc @ 000001eeb1be7100] Lossless encoding not supported
    [h264_nvenc @ 000001eeb1be7100] Provided device doesn't support required NVENC features
    Error initializing output stream 0:0 -- Error while opening encoder for output stream #0:0 - maybe incorrect parameters such as bit_rate, rate, width or height
    Quote Quote