VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello, dear all.

Just for curiosity, I'm testing a program to make a backup of a whole dvd movie that belongs to me.

The program tested is DVD2one. Previously I had tested another program: DVD Shrink, with good results.

What sparked my curiosity is that using DVD Shrink resulted in a perfect backup, no picture or sound problems.

But, when using DVD2one resulted video with problems concerning "interlaced" images.

How to fix that using DVD2one? how to proceed? Is that possible using such program?

I found a thread that says something about the subject.

---> Http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=45121

If the solution is like as indicated in the above thread:

"All that is needed is to demux the video and remove the pulldown flags, yielding 23.976 progressive video".

How to do this then? Which programs to use?

Remembering: I wanna make a backup of the whote DVD, with all existing menus and extras.

Just follow the information about the material that I have with me:

Format : MPEG-PS
    Video
    ID : 224 (0xE0)
    Format : MPEG Video
    Format version : Version 2
    Format profile : Main@Main
    Format settings, BVOP : Yes
    Format settings, Matrix : Custom
    Format settings, GOP : Variable
    Bit rate mode : Variable
    Bit rate : 4 507 Kbps
    Maximum bit rate : 8 000 Kbps
    Width : 720 pixels
    Height : 480 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate : 29.970 fps
    Standard : NTSC
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Interlaced
    Scan order : Top Field First
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.435
    Time code of first frame : 00:59:59:00
    Time code source : Group of pictures header
    Stream size : 625 MiB (89%)

Audio #1
    ID : 189 (0xBD)-128 (0x80)
    Format : AC-3
    Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
    Mode extension : CM (complete main)
    Format settings, Endianness : Big
    Muxing mode : DVD-Video
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 224 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Channel positions : Front: L R
    Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
    Bit depth : 16 bits
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Stream size : 31.1 MiB (4%)

Audio #2
    ID : 189 (0xBD)-129 (0x81)
    Format : AC-3
    Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
    Mode extension : CM (complete main)
    Format settings, Endianness : Big
    Muxing mode : DVD-Video
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 224 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 2 channels

Thanks for advices!

Best regards.

devil (johner)
    Quote Quote  
  2. You said you're making a backup - another DVD. So you shouldn't have to remove the interlacing. However, why use the inferior DVD2One when DVDShrink is the better program? When played on the TV (not necessarily a software player), the player or television should do the deinterlacing for you. Did you burn it to disc and play it in a DVD player already?

As for removing the pulldown, I believe AvsToDVD can do that for you. Also, it's a way better program than either DVD2One or DVDShrink.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Hello, manono!

You are right in saying that DVDShrink is better than DVD2One. However, I do not know why, when I used DVDShrink does not properly processed the dvd which I tried to back up. It gets larger than would fit on one 4.7 GB disc. I try change some settings on the program, but did not work!

After that I tried using DVD2One to see if the problem would be solved: backing up the complete DVD, including menus and extras. Using that program I could compress everything to one disc, but the image remains with artifacts "interlaced video".

Furthermore, I would be able to test a 100% portable program which you can use anywhere I go, without having any other type of supplemental program installed. The advantage is that both DVDShrink and DVD2One can be found like this: portable.

Do you know any other program that does the conversion from DVD to DVD and it is 100% portable, similar to DVDShrink, without any need to install any other program to run it?

I guess that AVStoDVD is a better program, but we need to install some other things to make the program works properly, like AviSynth. It's not a 100% portable program.

Did you burn it to disc and play it in a DVD player already?
    Not yet. I will do that as a test and verify if the image still goes interlaced or not.

Sadly, on a PC, using VLC as a dvd player, the image/video goes interlaced from my DVD2One's backed-up dvd.

Thanks for the tips!

Best regards.

devil (johner)
    Last edited by devilcoelhodog; 8th Nov 2014 at 09:04.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by devilcoelhodog View Post
    Do you know any other program that does the conversion from DVD to DVD and it is 100% portable, similar to DVDShrink, without any need to install any other program to run it?
    Hehe, nope, sorry. I don't use any of those all-in-one programs but do it all manually using many different programs. Maybe someone else can help.

But, unless the video gets resized somewhere along the line (it shouldn't) or unless it gets transcoded as progressive (that's not supposed to happen, but I've heard of some programs doing it), no player should have any trouble telling when a DVD should be deinterlaced. Maybe you can check the DVD2One version in MediaInfo or GSpot to see if it was transcoded as progressive, rather than as interlaced.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!