VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. hello,

im new to this forum, and im not quite sure where to post, so i thought this was best.

My father-in-law basically recorded our wedding, we didnt know he was going to until he turned up with his camcorder. The first half of the files work, and the second half dont.
    Its showing that there are files which can be moved to the computer, but they will just not play. Initially we got an error message in media player- the player may not support the file type or not support the codec that was used to compress the file. We have downloaded a codec package. Now the files will load, but there is no picture and no sound, but they seem to play if that makes sense, and are each different lengths...its very odd.
    we have tried downloaded a few different recovery softwares and different media players, but they arent making a difference.

The files are MTS files.

Can anyone suggest anything we can do, or are the files just none existent?

Would love some help please
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Uninstall the codec pack. It is probably doing more harm than not.
    Download: http://mpc-hc.org/ It's media Player Classic. It's free and will play most files.

Install it, right click on the video file and select "Open With". Navigate to the location you place MPC and select it. Should play.
    Maybe not but somebody may come along later with more help. I think that why it's called videohelp but you may have had better luck
    posing in one of the other sections.

Off topic is not very busy anymore.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Off topic is not very busy anymore.
    Agreed. Probably better in Newbie/General Forum. Where you may get more answers.
    Moving you.

And welcome to our forums.

Moderator redwudz
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    What you need to do (in order):
    1. DO NOT WRITE/RECORD/MODIFY ANY of the existing/original files folders, etc!! I cannot stress this hard enough!
    2. Use a proper recovery software that works with the media (without it being clarified, I'll assume it's SD card or similar mem card format). Sometimes you must try more than 1. I'd start with ISOBuster.
    3. That software(s) must produce "recovered" files on a different drive (in order to satisfy rule #1).
    4. Being "MTS" tells me that the format originally recorded was AVCHD. If this is the case, you should copy over ALL the surrounding structure & files (from ./PRIVATE/ on down) because some of the info you will need exists beyond just the MTS files.
    5. You then need to properly "import" your AVCHD structure into your editing software (again, not just the MTS files).
    There are other things that need to happen, but let's at least get you to that point (if possible).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  5. hello,

thank you for all of your messages. i am going to get to it, and try what has been suggested, and also re-post in the newbie area.

Watch this space....Scott if we get as far as you suggest i may need your help to continue.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!