VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi Folks. I have done some research on this subject but could not find anything tangible. The question is as follows: I have got a Synology DS212j diskstation. It is possible to put all kinds of video files on it and then play them on TV and PCs. It takes care of conversions so that all the files become playable except for ISO files. I can store the ISO files on the diskstation but cannot play them. To play the files on a DVD it is necessary to store them as VOB files. As a result it is not possible to display the menu structure of the DVD with animated thumbnails and select the thumbnail to go to the specific chapter to play it. This hierarchical DVD menu structure with background music, images and animation with the possibility of going to submenus and chapters and coming back to the top menu is quite important. Is there a way I can overcome this problem and have this possibility on the media server? Please advise. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Doesn't it just stream or share video and you are playing the stream/share on your TV?

It's the playing client that must support dvd iso/folder menus.
    Quote Quote  
  3. The playing client's capabilities are limited. For example it cannot play AVI files. The media server does some processing to make the files playable at the time of storage. Thus the streaming is done with processed files.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    But you can't stream any menu support. So you need a new client that supports dvd iso/menus from your nas. http://www.iboum.com/net-media-players.php has most media players listed or use a htpc connected to your tv.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Well additional hardware will solve the problem, but that's exactly the issue. I have got more than sufficient devices and cabling floating around not only costing a lot but also complicating the installation making it difficult to operate for the novice user. I am looking for a software solution that will play any video clip with minimum intervention.
    Quote Quote