VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I own a psp and find that the video image quality is outstanding but I was wondering if people feel that viewing a movie at such a small scale takes away the impact. I would like to hear some opinions as to whether people feel that the only way to really appreciate a movie is to to see it on a large screen.

What are your thoughts
    Do unto others....with a vengeance!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, but we still go to see a movie in a theatre and bemoan the small screen in the local multiplex.

With most people willing to listen to music in MP3 on a tiny and tinny player, and some people willing to watch on a cell phone who can judge any more.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Had a portable TV (3") some 10 years ago - so I'm quite sceptic to viewing TV/movies on a phone/PDA. forget about subtitles!

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Personally I have no desire to watch anything on a hand held device. It really baffles me why anyone would want to. Besides I watch more than enough mind numbing video at home.

Yes the impact is gone!
    bits
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the feedback, I personally like using the portable devices to view movies but I must admit that it does take away the feeling that you are engulfed in another world separate from your reality.

Movies are suppose to entertain and I must admit that I do find some entertainment in the smaller sizes, but I really enjoy the larger screens if for nothing else than the impact alone.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Aren't those UMD movies done yet?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by throwingks
    Aren't those UMD movies done yet?
    I'm not sure exactly what your question means but as far as sales go yes they aren't doing well at all. What I'm speaking about is the memory sticks, those of us who create our own movies to transport from place to place.

For example while taking your lunch break you might find time to view a movie while at work. If so do you feel fufilled once you have viewed an entire movie this way?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I see your question. No, I am not as fulfilled, however it is better to see some scenes from movies that I have watched a few times. When I watch movies on a smaller screen I skip to my favorite parts a lot more. I watch on my Cassiopeia. Home videos I watch on my laptop, but I cant really take that to work.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This has all been well researched by NHK, SMPTE and THX.

The results are in this calculator.
    http://www.myhometheater.homestead.com/viewingdistancecalculator.html

As for portables

a 15" screen should be viewed from 24 inches.
    a 9" screen should be viewed from 14 inches.
    a 4" screen should be viewed from 6 inches.

The screen better be fairly high res. and surround headphones should be used.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by bits
    Personally I have no desire to watch anything on a hand held device. It really baffles me why anyone would want to. Besides I watch more than enough mind numbing video at home.

Yes the impact is gone!
    That does rather make it curious that you are reading and replying to a post in a forum dedicated to video on portable devices, though...

Depending on what the video is, I find watching some things on my portable video players is a good mix, sometimes, for time. And it means I have something to occupy myself with, in those bits of "dead-time" waiting, when otherwise you'd be sat around daydreaming, or reading some 6 month old magazine.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Lester Burnham
    Originally Posted by bits

Yes the impact is gone!
    That does rather make it curious that you are reading and replying to a post in a forum dedicated to video on portable devices, though...

Depending on what the video is, I find watching some things on my portable video players is a good mix, sometimes, for time. And it means I have something to occupy myself with, in those bits of "dead-time" waiting, when otherwise you'd be sat around daydreaming, or reading some 6 month old magazine.
    I simply responded to the originators questions. I also do not see anywhere in the post or post title that says only those who have or use portable devices should respond.

ejai wrote:
    I own a psp and find that the video image quality is outstanding but I was wondering if people feel that viewing a movie at such a small scale takes away the impact. I would like to hear some opinions as to whether people feel that the only way to really appreciate a movie is to to see it on a large screen.

What are your thoughts
    bits
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As edDV said, this has been well studied. There is a significant psychological difference between watching on a screen in which the viewer is clearly aware of the "frame" around the screen, and watching on a screen which is big enough that you aren't so aware of the frame. The frame puts a distance between you and the story; you are watching it from the outside, you are not a part of it. A screen big enough (angular size) that the frame becomes fuzzed alows you to get "inside" the story, and it is a very different psychological experience. That's what the optimal distances are about. Imagine the opening sequence of the original "Star Wars" on a cellphone screen! Sheesh!! You have to be an idiot to want to do that.

Steve
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by bits
    Originally Posted by Lester Burnham
    Originally Posted by bits

Yes the impact is gone!

I simply responded to the originators questions. I also do not see anywhere in the post or post title that says only those who have or use portable devices should respond.
    No it doesn't - nor am I suggesting it does. I merely think it's curious that you'd be reading a forum and a post about devices that you apparently have no interest in, that's all.

And to get back to that original point - yes, of course, it has nothing like the impact of watching a movie on a big screen TV, or in a cinema theatre - but then not ALL video watching is about the spectacle or big screen viewing.
    Quote Quote  
  14. No it doesn't - nor am I suggesting it does. I merely think it's curious that you'd be reading a forum and a post about devices that you apparently have no interest in, that's all.

In my case, and perhaps in his as well, I saw this thread on the front page. I have no interest at all in viewing movies on tiny screens (for the reason implied by the title of this thread, which is what caught my attention), nor in a forum dedicated to them. But since they're all the rage right now, I realize that my opinion isn't exactly universally shared.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by manono
    No it doesn't - nor am I suggesting it does. I merely think it's curious that you'd be reading a forum and a post about devices that you apparently have no interest in, that's all.

In my case, and perhaps in his as well, I saw this thread on the front page. I have no interest at all in viewing movies on tiny screens (for the reason implied by the title of this thread, which is what caught my attention), nor in a forum dedicated to them. But since they're all the rage right now, I realize that my opinion isn't exactly universally shared.
    Well I think that many assume it's video iPods or cell phones - but PMPs have been around a while, and have had reasonable sized screens.

My Archos AV440 has a 3.8" screen, that's perfectly acceptable for watching at fairly close range, as is my Tapwave Zodiac2. I have a portable DVD player that has a better sized screen, too (8"). It's all something of a balance.

Looking at the main assumptions, then the choice of watching a movie on a video iPod, or cell phone may seem odd, but I think nothing of watching a movie on my AV440 - although it wouldn't be my device of choice for films that are more of a spectacle. I can also use it to catch up on programs that I've not had chance to watch at home (on account of it being able to record from video input, as well as play video that's been converted and transferred to it).

Plus, my AV440 has a cradle (or could be used with travel AV leads) so I can use it to display on TV screens, or record things when I'm away from home (it's just as fundamentally a PVR as it is a video player).
    Quote Quote  
  16. Having recently acquired a 7" DVD player I have been surprised at its usefulness. Especially for those old downloaded rather fuzzy shorts. Also my DIY camcorder, digital camera and 8mm to video conversions look fine on the small screen, whereas they can be a bit fuzzy on a bigger one.
    I have yet to watch a movie through on it, but have had to drag myself away before I got to carried away with a couple of trials.
    PVD312 £99.99 from Halfords. Tried Currys and Comet next door first. Do they know what they are selling?
    Quote Quote  
  17. I have a Protable DVD, Zen Vision, PSP and Dell Axim V51 so I have quite a few devices for portable viewing and I use them all but mainly for TV series. I find watching in 30-60 min increments is fine, I've watched only a few movies this way however.
    Quote Quote  
  18. This is really a personal preference.

For me, I have watched movies on the small screen on airplanes. They are very watchable. I also got a 7" DVD player and the screen is larger than the ones on airplanes. On top of that, it is also a portable DVD player (i.e. connected to a TV). If I bring some DVDs for viewing at another place, I always bring this player just in case my discs cannot be played by the DVD players at the house I visit.

Personally, nothing beats DVD movies on my large widescreen at home. I feel the movies but not on the tiny screen. I do not like the huge screen in the movie theater, they are too big for me to watch. Plus there is no subtitle, no way to pause it or rewind a little, etc...

I think watching movies/video on the little 2" or 2.5" screen just make you look cool to friends (especially for teenagers), but you cannot walk in the park or on the beach and watch them at the same time as you can with MP3 music players.

There are also special "dark eye glasses" that act as large screen TV. This is cool when you want to watch something and does not want to bother people around. It may look funny when you wear these dark eyes glasses and laugh at a funny movies, people around would think: "what's the hell this blind man do?". Ha Ha... and imagine yourself watching 3X movie with this pair eye glasses.
    ktnwin - PATIENCE
    Quote Quote  
  19. Well, when you watch a movie on a postage stamp, I'll bet you can make the filesize pretty small =]

I saw a watch video player at the mall last weekend, A WATCH!!!
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I won't be using my device to watch movies. I may load in some videos and small internet clip, but any movie i want to see it has to be at least 32" and i need my surround sound (yes i know that sounds awful). I may consider it for movies i realy enjoyed but already seen on a larger screen. I really want the screen mostly as a portable Photo Frame, video is just gravy.

One thing i don't mind doing is T.V. shows. Since i work nights now i will be veiwing the episodes of lost I missed on what ever player i end up geting, till then i am watching on my PC. I would use it for Documentries as well. hmmm... maybe load a few cartoons to entertain the kids on trips.

I never really thought a portable Video unit was worth my time but if its included with my MP3 player and picture veiwer, thats Great.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I don't have a SONY PSP nor do I have an iPOD of any kind. In fact I have no kind of portable video device.

As a result of lack of interest I haven't paid much attention to either of the devices I mentioned.

However I seem to recall reading something that seemed to imply that there is a way to hook a Video iPOD up to a TV although I think you need some additional hardware like a "docking station" of some sort.

However I do find this somewhat interesting.

Why?

Well these days this doesn't apply to me anymore but at one time I use to travel a bit and stay in hotels and the idea of having a few movies recorded in MPEG-4 or whatever on a small portable device that can be hooked up to a TV is an interesting idea. Thus you have the entertainment you want instead of whatever is on cable TV or PAY-PER-VIEW etc.

Of course one could argue that any portable DVD player can be hooked up to a TV and many portable DVD players these days are not all that big so ...

Perhaps one doesn't need something as small as a Video iPOD or PSP etc.

As for watching something on a small screen like that ... I can't imagine doing it unless I was in a really bad situation like a very long airplane or car trip etc.

Even then it would be to "pass the time" and would be more enjoyable than sitting there drooling but I can't imagine really getting all that into a movie when the screen is all of 3 or 4 inches.

In fact there is yet another example of a portable DVD player being a better choice as you can get one with a 9" screen these days for a somewhat reasonable price.

I think I just talked myself out of buying a Video iPOD. Now a PSP does play games so that is probably a better choice especially if there is a way to hook it up to a TV when one is around. I don't know if that is possible or not though.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by FulciLives
    I don't have a SONY PSP nor do I have an iPOD of any kind. In fact I have no kind of portable video device.

As a result of lack of interest I haven't paid much attention to either of the devices I mentioned.

However I seem to recall reading something that seemed to imply that there is a way to hook a Video iPOD up to a TV although I think you need some additional hardware like a "docking station" of some sort.
    If that's true - they are so behind the times - I've been able to do that with my Archos AV440 for nearing 2 years (record using the cradle in reasonable resolution - up to 512 x 384 30fps). It can output pretty much up to full DVD resolution (assuming that you've converted video to play on it, as opposed to directly recorded).

It has an IR emitter, too - so that it can send signals to the equipment it's recording from, and a scheduler, so that you can time when you want it to do everything.

And this model is 2 generations out-of-date, since then there's been the AV500 series (which naturally has incremental improvements in most things), and the newer 04 series.

Originally Posted by FulciLives
    However I do find this somewhat interesting.

Why?

Well these days this doesn't apply to me anymore but at one time I use to travel a bit and stay in hotels and the idea of having a few movies recorded in MPEG-4 or whatever on a small portable device that can be hooked up to a TV is an interesting idea.
    Indeed - which is why I bought my AV440 a year or two back. I've had the most use out of this, compared to other portable media devices. Whenever I travel, I take it with me, with the cradle (there is a travel kit, but the cradle allows me to use an IR remote and just leave my AV440 next to the TV). Typically I have around 20 full length movies, and a number of TV episodes on, plus stacks of music (however, recently, I've bought a cheap 40G hard-drive based music jukebox just for music, so at some point, I'll dedicate my Archos to purely video).

Thus you have the entertainment you want instead of whatever is on cable TV or PAY-PER-VIEW etc.
    Exactly - plus the potential to record whilst your away (with devices like the Archos). And mine has a reasonable size screen for handheld viewing: 3.8" - not as small as say the video iPods or mobile / cell phones.

Of course one could argue that any portable DVD player can be hooked up to a TV and many portable DVD players these days are not all that big so ...
    Which is also true, and I own a portable DVD player that I also tend to take with me when travelling too.

Perhaps one doesn't need something as small as a Video iPOD or PSP etc.
    Well I see your point, and I did consider this before buying my Archos unit. However, if I'm just say travelling on a long train journey or aeroplane journey, I have something very compact, not needing countless other disks with me, to just be able to sit and watch / or listen to.

I'm really discounting the PSP and iPod, though - the PSP is really crippled for converted video (I have a PSP, too, and a Tapwave Zodiac2) although curiously they don't restrict UMD video as much, and the video iPod is behind the times compared with relatively mature devices like Archos PMPs - and doesn't yet have screens of the same size or performance as Archos devices.

As for watching something on a small screen like that ... I can't imagine doing it unless I was in a really bad situation like a very long airplane or car trip etc.
    The thing is, though, that the video iPod screen isn't much bigger (if any) than what you'd get on a mobile / cell phone. However, the true portable media devices like the Archos and iRiver offerings (and others, these days) have a reasonable size of screen that's perfectly fine for watching movies.

Sure, a portable DVD player tends to have a bigger screen, but is more bulky, too, the battery supplies don't tend to perform as well as say something like my Archos (a good 4.5 - 5 hours video watching on full charge, 10-14 hours for say just music). Plus you have to also carry DVDs with you.

Even then it would be to "pass the time" and would be more enjoyable than sitting there drooling but I can't imagine really getting all that into a movie when the screen is all of 3 or 4 inches.
    I think it depends - placed on your lap, and you'd really want something around a portable DVD player's screen size (Archos actually produce a model with a similar screen size of around 7"), but held like a book, and something with the screen size of an Archos unit is perfectly watchable, even for movies of a couple of hours.

In fact there is yet another example of a portable DVD player being a better choice as you can get one with a 9" screen these days for a somewhat reasonable price.
    Indeed - and I'm not discounting portable DVD players - I have one, and although I don't use it as much as my Archos, they are still very useful.

I've just personally had a good deal of use out of my Archos device. But don't conflate the good PMPs (like Archos, iRiver and others) from things like the PSP (good screen, but crippled for converted video) and the iPod (screen size, performance and capabilities behind the decent PMPs by probably a few years), because these newer attempts to get in that market, don't get anywhere near rivalling decent PMPs like Archos and iRiver, yet.

I think I just talked myself out of buying a Video iPOD.
    No bad thing, really - if you want portable video in a small unit - get a decent PMP. If you are into iPods and have been swung on them from a usability or fashion perspective, then I can understand the consideration - but they are not in the same league as decent PMPs yet.

Now a PSP does play games so that is probably a better choice especially if there is a way to hook it up to a TV when one is around. I don't know if that is possible or not though.
    I have a PSP, and I'm not aware of any way of doing that - certainly not out of the box. Same for my Tapwave Zodiac - which is infinitely better as a capable PMP than the PSP - just that the PSP has a bigger, nicer screen and is 16:9 aspect.

Archos PMPs certainly can, and have been able to for years. And my AV440 has a full size remote for that kind of use - so you just leave it all connected up to the TV using the cradle, and operate it like any other home entertainment device with an IR remote.

Compared to video iPods and PSPs, decent PMPs are years ahead and more mature - not to mention more capable.
    Quote Quote