VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a P3 750Mhz 256RAM IBM (T21) lap top with a DVD-ROM.
    Tried to play DVD with Power-DVD, but it pauses every few seconds
    and impossible to watch!

CPU or software issue?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    is the dvd dirty or scratched?
    Quote Quote  
  3. no. i tried several movies, same result! work fine on my DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  4. playing dvd's on your computer takes a lot of processor and graphics card power. a 750 mhz cpu wil most likely having difficulties with handling a dvd movie. you may try with a different player, but this will doubtfully give you better results...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    SkrellK-a 750 mhz cpu wil most likely having difficulties with handling a dvd movie.
    Hello,
    I am running a AMD 850mhz desktop pc and my dvds play perfectly, with a 5.1 sound card! I also have a p2 300mhz with a 4x dvd rom and a 16mb 3d card that plays just fine. Speed is not the sole determining factor in smooth dvd playback. Your codec, video card, and dvd drive are all important. If you have a good, stable system dvds will play in just about any system (I believe your supposed to be able to play dvds on a pentium 1, though I wouldn't recommend a pc that slow).
    Kevin
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Are you playing a commercial dvd or a burned dvd? if it's a burned dvd, then is it labelled? sometimes labelling a disc can cause the disc to be unbalanced which creates the kind of playback you're seeing.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I have a thinkpad 770z (only PII) and it was doing the same thing. I purchased a margi dvd to go pcmcia card and it works perfectly. They go for as little as $10-15 on ebay. I recommened this as a solution. This way the dvd wont pause because you arent using your system memory to process video, all the video playing is through the margi card.
    Quote Quote