VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I have tried to rip a music concert DVD to video using a whole host of different well known software. I always get the same results.

When I play the original DVD on my TV/AV receiver, the main vocals come from the centre channel, as expected, but when I play back the video on the same system, the main vocals do not appear on the centre channel, but on front left and right. The centre channel just contains backing vocals and one instrument.

All six channels are present. To confirm this, I loaded the video file into Adobe Premiere Pro and also Audition. They both confirm my observations above.

I'm totally baffled by this. Any ideas please?

Alan
    Quote Quote  
  2. Extract the original soundtrack from your DVD with g.e. PgcDemux and mux it to your ripped movie.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    I'll give it a try and report back.

Thanks,

Alan
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    I tried every possible combination of options but couldn't get it to work. It's not exactly user friendly is it? It's also dated 2014 which doesn't exactly fill me with confidence.

Thanks anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Is your DVD copy protected?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by ASW View Post
    I tried every possible combination of options but couldn't get it to work. It's not exactly user friendly is it? It's also dated 2014 which doesn't exactly fill me with confidence.
    Thanks anyway.
    You have to select only your Title IFO as input and a target folder as output.
    Set like in the picture and click Process:
    Image Attached Images  
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Yes it's copy protected, but aren't all commercial DVD's copy protected?

Anyway, my original point was that I've tried so many different DVD rippers and they all manage to get round the protection but fail to replicate the original DVD 5.1 track layout for some reason.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by ASW View Post
    Yes it's copy protected, but aren't all commercial DVD's copy protected?

Anyway, my original point was that I've tried so many different DVD rippers and they all manage to get round the protection but fail to replicate the original DVD 5.1 track layout for some reason.
    Rip the whole DVD as is to a folder on your computer. Then extract the original soundtrack (I think AC3 5.1). Then remux your encoded video with the extracted soundtrack.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    OK. I ripped the VIDEO_TS folder and managed to extract the ac3 audio as you mentioned. However the centre channel is exactly the same as all the other attempts I've made.
    I'm totally baffled by this. Why is it different to the DVD? I'm afraid I have to concede defeat.
    Quote Quote  
  10. You can still use Ifoedit to examine the IFO of the Titleset more closely to see if there is any indication of redirection of the individual audio channels. If so, you can reassign the individual channels with FFmpeg.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I suspect two things:
    1. The player might be downmixing from 5.1 to 2.0.
    2. Audio stream was muxed with a problematic muxer.

You can play the dolby 7.1 or dts 5.1 sound check files available at The Digital Theater to verify if your player is downmixing to stereo.

If the player is downmixing, perhaps it can be configured to disable downmixing.

If the player is not downmixing the audio, then I recommend demuxing all audio streams from the VOBs with DGIndex, and muxing only the 5.1 audio stream plus the video stream with mkvtoolnix-gui or mkvmerge. But don't use ffmpeg to mux to mkv. I had many issues with audio when I muxed to mkv with ffmpeg, and zero issues with audio when I muxed to mkv with mkvtoolnix-gui or mkvmerge.
    Last edited by codemaster; 7th May 2021 at 14:16.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    codemaster,

I'm using the Plex client on a Samsung TV. Sound gets to the AV receiver using ARC. It's definitely not downmixing as other videos play correctly.
    DVD's play OK with audio on the correct channels. The test videos also play OK. The problem occurs when ripping some DVD's.

I tried your suggestion of using DGIndex on the VOB's. Exactly the same results as all of the other extractors I've used.

The center channel contains no main vocals and instruments that appear on the front speakers on the DVD appear on the rear speakers when playing the ripped video.
    This is confirmed by loading the files into Audition or Premiere Pro and examining the six channels.

Alan
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search PM
    Just tried another experiment and copied one of the VOB files to my Plex library. This plays the audio correctly on the TV and sounds exactly like the DVD.
    If I load the VOB into Audition or Premiere it only shows two channels. Not sure how VOB's are structured.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search PM
    I think I'm finally getting to the bottom of this! The DVD is shown as having 5.1 audio. Ripping software also shows it has 5.1 audio tracks.
    As an experiment I ripped it with just stereo audio tracks. Playing this on the TV gives me identical audio to the original DVD.
    It's definitely 6 channels. Main vocals are in centre only and all other instruments and effects are in the correct places.
    Can you explain why? How does this work?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Dobly Pro Logic?

This is the first time you mentioned a separate stereo track
    Quote Quote  
  16. What software do you use to rip the dvd?
    Use MakeMKV to rip the title and then extract the 5.1 original Audio from the ripped mkv. It should be identical to the original Audiostream and therefore sound the same.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search PM
    Sorry, I wasn't aware that's how Dolby Pro Logic works. That explains why the VOB's only contain two channtls. All six channels encoded into two.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ASW View Post
    Sorry, I wasn't aware that's how Dolby Pro Logic works. That explains why the VOB's only contain two channtls. All six channels encoded into two.
    Not a problem, mystery solved
    Quote Quote  
  19. Pro Logic II hides multi-channel surround audio inside a stereo AC3 track. Pro Logic-capable playback devices can detect this and reconstruct the multi-channel audio. Other devices will play it as stereo.

Pro Logic II takes a stereo source and applies processing to expand it to simulate 5.1 audio.

Possible solutions:

1. The stereo AC3 track can be upmixed to 5.1, and a new 5.1 AC3 track can be created and then used with Plex.

2. If instead of Plex, you use the Samsung video player app and a usb drive, and if the remote has a "PL II MODE" button, you can press that button to change the mode. There are 5 modes: music, cinema, prolog, matrix, stereo, music. Maybe the "matrix" mode will upmix to 5.1.

3. Watch it in stereo, which is exactly what I do with concerts, because they sound much better with headphones than with speakers.
    Last edited by codemaster; 7th May 2021 at 21:55.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search PM
    codemaster,

I already have the solution. Don't try and rip a 5.1 DVD into a video format with 6 discrete channels. That's where I went wrong.

I should have ripped it in stereo and let my AV receiver decode the 5.1 channels.

Thanks to all who replied.

Alan
    Quote Quote