VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. My grandparents have a bunch of old home videos on DVD. I would like to get them backed up, but I’m having some issues. I tried using handbrake and some other programs, but it keeps cutting the videos short, leaving out sections, or just freezing.

1) Any ideas on what the problem is or possible solutions?
    2) Do you have an recommendations on which programs to use for conversion? (Would not be against paying for a program if it actually worked)

*note computer is a Dell inspirion 7000 running windows 10

Thanks for the help!
    Last edited by Sundog; 27th Dec 2020 at 23:32.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    try manually coping the movies from the dvd to your computer.
    "drag & drop".
    Quote Quote  
  3. So save the DVD files first, then convert?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you have the storage space, there is no need to "convert" them at all; you'll just incur some generation loss. Just rip the DVD with DVDVOB2MPG. It'll join all the VOBs for each on each disk into one MPEG 2 file.

Make sure you tick "Convert Input Files and add them to one single file".

If you have more than one "movie" on each DVD, when using DVDVOB2MPG simply choose the VOBs for each movie to join up. In other words, do each "movie" separately.

In the example I've posted here, there are two movies, which you can easily spot because of their size. The first movie is VTS_03. The second movie, which is split across 2 VOBs, is VTS_04. There could be up to 5 VOBs for each movie. When running DVDVOB2MPG, just choose the files for each group of VOBs eg for the second movie here, choose VTS_04_1.VOB and VTS_04_2.VOB. The program will join them and save as a single MPEG file.

You can also do what October is suggesting, by dragging the VIDEO_TS folder to your computer; VLC Player will play it as a DVD ie with menus, but if you want to play it on your TV, you may have issues with it understanding the DVD format. I haven't come across a external media player that will play a VIDEO_TS folder, if there is one, I'd like to know what it is.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	VOBs.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	56486  

Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A couple of gotchas with DVDVOB2MPG:

- You have to add the "mpg" extension to the filename: it doesn't do it, despite the comment at the bottom of the screen
    -After you've installed the program, reboot you computer; otherwise DVDVOB2MPG may only transfer the first of the movie VOBs (watch the progress on the bottom as it processes each VOB). If your final file is 1048mb, you've probably only got the first VOB.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thanks, will give it a try.

Also, I was thinking they had to be converted to an mp4 or mpg like above in order to play. What’s the advantage to keeping it as a vob vs converting it? (Sorry not the most tech savvy; excuse any dumb questions )
    Last edited by Sundog; 28th Dec 2020 at 12:25.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Sundog View Post
    Thanks, will give it a try.

Also, I was thinking they had to be converted to an mp4 or mpg like above in order to play. What’s the advantage to keeping it as a vob vs converting it? (Sorry not the most tech savvy; excuse any dumb questions )
    The advantage is that it will be quicker and since it is not re-encoded, it maintains the original quality
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Sundog
    I was thinking they had to be converted to an mp4 or mpg like above in order to play. What’s the advantage to keeping it as a vob vs converting it?
    I wasn't very clear: there is no re-encoding or rendering from VOB to MPG. VOBs are MPGs, differing only in some minor details. "VOB"s were created specifically for the DVD format (Video Object Basic, I think).

That is why the "conversion" from VOB to MPG takes so little time; it's really just a "joining" of all the VOBs and a rename to a single MPG. You therefore will not lose any quality at all.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Got it. Thanks for all the help!!
    Quote Quote  
  10. You can also do what October is suggesting, by dragging the VIDEO_TS folder to your computer; VLC Player will play it as a DVD ie with menus, but if you want to play it on your TV, you may have issues with it understanding the DVD format. I haven't come across a external media player that will play a VIDEO_TS folder, if there is one, I'd like to know what it is.
    What about ISO files, are they properly played by some standalone devices ? Or MKV created with MakeMKV ? On my brother's ~2011 LG BRD player, ISOs don't work, but DVDs remuxed as MKVs do work.

@Sundog : MakeMKV would be a worthy alternative, as it simply remuxes the video/audio streams from the VOB files into the well established and versatile MKV container. The menus (if any) are still lost (like when converting VOB to MPG), but chapters for instance can be preserved (if I'm not mistaken), and it should be just as quick, with perhaps less quirks / gotchas than DVDVOB2MPG (based on what was stated above, no direct experience with that utility).
    Quote Quote