VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    OK, I'm using DVD Decrypter on an old DVD I got 12 or so years ago, not retail.

DVD Decrypter rips the DVD fine, there is a noticeable slowdown in some areas but no errors and no retries either. But the resulting DVD is corrupted when played. The beginning is garbled and freezes my player at 20 seconds or so but if I starts jumping around on the timeline before the freeze then the rest of the DVD works fine.
    I rerip the first VOB, no errors nor retries again, and now it doesn't freeze but there is a visible glitch at a minute or so in and it's not a glitch in the video but obviously one that comes from the DVD ripping.

So what I'm wondering here is how come DVD Decrypter ripped this DVD at all, I thought that if there is a problem it first retries and then marks an error or whatever? And here it had zero errors and zero retries both times? I'm using an external DVD-RW, connected to my PC through a USB connection. Is error detection in DVD Decrypter janky with external optical drives?

DVD Decrypter has been my go-to ripper for more than a decade and I always thought it was reliable, this is worrying.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Are there any problems when playing the original DVD?

Can you try decrypting with a different DVD drive, to rule out your drive (or your hard drive) being the problem? Maybe on a friend's computer?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Are there any problems when playing the original DVD?

Can you try decrypting with a different DVD drive, to rule out your drive (or your hard drive) being the problem? Maybe on a friend's computer?
    I've cleaned it with some cleaning fluid that I found in a closet (LOL) and it's playing fine now (stutters here and there, ripping is in process right now, it's going well, no slowdowns at all).
    Losing a DVD isn't a problem, but sometimes I share these on private sites and I always relied on DVD Decrypter to let me know if what I have is corrupted so I don't share it forward as such. That's the real issue here, for me.

I can't try a different one, friends don't even have DVD drives and mine are dead, that's why I bought an external one.
    Quote Quote