VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi

I am using handbrake to convert DVD video to MP4. The issue is, if I choose the "strict" picture function, the MP4 video will appear stretched, on my TV, so circles will appear as ovals. I don't have the same problem when playing back the MP4 video on my laptop. Is there a way to fix this?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I would guess the TV playback is broken, to fix it you would either need a new TV or an app like Kodi.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks.

It's a brand new tv, purchased just a few months ago. I also have an older plasma tv and it also has the same problem playing back the MP4 files and making the video appear stretched.

The only time I don't experience any issues is if I choose the "none", under anamorphic, in the picture function and tick keep aspect ratio, but resulting resolution is much lower at 720x 306. I wanted to have a a higher quality MP4 video at 720x 480 which the "strict" function can give me, but for some reason my TVs playback back the video images stretched.
    Quote Quote  
  4. HandBrake doesn't upscale, unfortunately. Which version of HandBrake are you using? "Strict" isn't available in the latest, "None" is.

Try MKVToolNix, maybe the TV has better support for scaling MKV. Maybe it also makes a difference whether SAR is in bitstream or container.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I will install the latest version of handbrake. Question, in the latest handbrake, does picking the "none" mode and keep aspect ratio reduce vertical resolution as it does in the older versions?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Handbrake can upscale. Select Presets -> Reset Built In Presets. After that you can upscale.

The problem is your TVs don't support anamorphic encoding. So you have to change the frame size to match the aspect ratio of the source.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Handbrake can upscale. Select Presets -> Reset Built In Presets. After that you can upscale.
    Doesn't seem to work here. Maybe we are talking about different things. I mean e.g. DVD encoded 720x480 with 16:9 display and encode to 848x480 SAR 1:1. HandBrake doesn't let me increase width beyond 720 pixels even with reset presets.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Thanks everyone, problem solved.

I selected reset built in presets as suggested, which let me increase width beyond 720 under the "none" mode and I managed to encode a resolution of around 1100x480 and the video is now displaying correctly on my TV as it appears on my laptop. The only downside the file size is much larger.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Halon View Post
    I selected reset built in presets as suggested, which let me increase width beyond 720 under the "none" mode and I managed to encode a resolution of around 1100x480
    Am I the only one not managing to upscale?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
    Originally Posted by Halon View Post
    I selected reset built in presets as suggested, which let me increase width beyond 720 under the "none" mode and I managed to encode a resolution of around 1100x480
    Am I the only one not managing to upscale?
    It doesn't seem work with all versions of handbrake. I tried it with my older version of handbrake and it didn't work, but it did with version 1.0.7.
    Quote Quote  
  11. 1.0.7 is 2 years old. We are currently at 1.2.2.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
    1.0.7 is 2 years old. We are currently at 1.2.2.

So you have tried upscaling with the newest version and it doesn't seem to work?

I downloaded vidcoder and the MP4 video files I encoded with it (using the same settings as in handbrake) don't appear stretched when played on a tv screen.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Is it possible that the video aspect ratio is to blame? Most of smart TV is using 16:9 aspect ratio. Go back to handbrake to change it from 4:3 to 16:9.
    If handbrake doesn't work for you, there are more DVD rippers available recommended by Google at the top ranking.
    Last edited by Baldrick; 24th Jun 2019 at 04:30.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by Halon View Post
    So you have tried upscaling with the newest version and it doesn't seem to work?
    Correct.
    I just went back to 1.0.7 and upscaling indeed works after resetting the presets like jagabo said. I guess the devs considered it a bug and fixed it in later versions.

I downloaded vidcoder and the MP4 video files I encoded with it (using the same settings as in handbrake) don't appear stretched when played on a tv screen.
    The upscaling limitation only applies to HandBrake GUI. Not generally to HandBrake CLI or alternative HandBrake GUIs like VidCoder.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
    Correct.
    I just went back to 1.0.7 and upscaling indeed works after resetting the presets like jagabo said. I guess the devs considered it a bug and fixed it in later versions.
    I tested it iwth version 1.2.2 -- it worked.
    Quote Quote  
  16. I have 1.2.2 windows but did't work , i reset presets but no results , i tried 1.0.7 and work ... this version don't have sharpen.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by radusound View Post
    I have 1.2.2 windows but did't work , i reset presets but no results , i tried 1.0.7 and work ... this version don't have sharpen.
    Try Vidcoder, based on Handbrake, it has these functions
    Quote Quote  
  18. Thank you , i will try vidcoder.
    Quote Quote