VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Can anyone help? I have a LG BP350 blu-ray player and would like to know why and how to fix that it is not recognizing chapters from ripped movies? I am trying to convert all my dvd/blu-ray's into digital formate. I ripped a movie into mkv and converted it to mp4. Nether one works. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Dave.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    first check to see if the player has the latest firmware update.
    what kind of USB device are you trying to play ?? flash drive HDD etc.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I am using a flash drive. Once a video works only then I transfer it to a HDD. I will have to check the firmware once I get a chance.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Just looked at the manual, and I don't see anything that would suggest that the device supports Chapters inside MKV or MP4 played on a USB/DLNA, etc. My guess is that chapters are only supported on authored discs (BD, DVD).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    blu-ray players in general only support bare bones simple mkv. even subs usually have to be srt if it'll play them at all.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    My sony bdp-s380 blu-ray player which is 9 years old plays mkv with chapter support and mkv with dvd subs in 480p.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Neither of my LG BD players consistently recognize chapters within MKV files. Occasionally they do, usually they don't. Like aedipuss mentioned, file support for anything beyond basic playback is hit-or-miss: they are hardware limited to recognizing only very specific formatting of some features.

OTOH, I've never had a problem with either player picking up embedded subs of any kind in an MKV, while both can be incredibly picky about separate SRT files unless I re-save them as new clean files with a utility like SubtitleWorkshop. In either case, some letters or formatting display as garbled with the BD player vs VLC on a PC.

I've yet to find a BD player with the file handling versatility of a dedicated media player or PC, or a media player with the video playback quality of USB-thru-BD-player. Someday...
    Quote Quote  
  8. I do have the latest firmware on my player. I also have some movies with theatrical and unrated versions on one disk. How do I tell them apart as Makrmkv shows two files with the exact same time for both. One of the movies is Mirrors with Kieffer Sutherland
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DaveB69 View Post
    I do have the latest firmware on my player. I also have some movies with theatrical and unrated versions on one disk. How do I tell them apart as Makrmkv shows two files with the exact same time for both. One of the movies is Mirrors with Kieffer Sutherland
    you can lookup the movie - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0790686/faq?ref_=tt_faq_3#fq0032677
    it should say what the difference is between the rated & unrated version of the film
    Quote Quote  
  10. I would like to know how to tell them apart when usimg MakeMKV as it shows both but they both have the same amount of gigs, ie: 22gb for both.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DaveB69 View Post
    I would like to know how to tell them apart when usimg MakeMKV as it shows both but they both have the same amount of gigs, ie: 22gb for both.
    try playing both files, if the R rating shows before the picture starts, then it is the rated version.
    the unrated version should not have any rating before the picture starts.
    plus the unrated version should have a slightly longer running time.
    Quote Quote