VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a JVC Everio GZ-HD500BU video camcorder, and I can't see my file when I open the camcorder's hard drive in Windows XP, service pack 3. It's worked before, several times, before I reinstalled Windows XP

Now, when I open the camcorder's hard drive, the only folder it will show me is named "recycler" and that's with show hidden files selected. I tried this on another Windows XP computer and it has the exact same problem. Luckily, there is one way I am able to view the files, by backing up the hard drive in the JVC MediaBrowser software.

Thereafter, I can play them with VLC mediaplayer. But, the Mediabrowser software will not show me the video, the screen is messed up with colored dots, I don't see it at all there.

I talked to JVC technical support today and they have no idea what the problem is, they tell me to contact Microsoft, but I don't know what I'd tell them. It has worked fine on this computer time and time again, until I tried it today. Plus, as I mentioned- I had the same problem on another Windows XP computer as well.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    "Re-install" = resets all video drivers, codecs, plugins, etc to DEFAULT. A correct re-install would have to re-install all those apps that include the EXTRA video drivers, codecs, plugins that were necessary for proper playback of your material.

It's my guess that the JVC MediaBrowser software comes with its own set of codecs & plugins, so IT can see the material (because it is relying on self-contained code), but you can't use the stuff system-wide because those other things haven't been fully restored yet.

More info necessary (Apps installed before vs. after, JVC cam footage file format, etc)...

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. "Re-install" = resets all video drivers, codecs, plugins, etc to DEFAULT. A correct re-install would have to re-install all those apps that include the EXTRA video drivers, codecs, plugins that were necessary for proper playback of your material.
    Ok, so you're saying I should reset it to default, that my manual should tell me how to do this? I'm a little confused. Or, you're talking about the windows reinstall, yes it would have wiped out anything I installed for the camera, but I thought all I need to do to view the video files was open the hard drive under my computer, nothing to install required, just open it.

It's my guess that the JVC MediaBrowser software comes with its own set of codecs & plugins, so IT can see the material
    I just tried using it now, and for some reason, now I CAN see the video when using Mediabrowser. But, I was saying before I couldn't, only the audio. It was only after making a backup of the hard drive and viewing it with VLC that I was able to view the video.

Edit: Guess I spoke too soon, I was able to view a few videos, then started having the same problem again. This is what I've been seeing when it doesn't work. I tried taking a screenshot, but it shows the video playback window as blank, rather than the colored dots problem.

I'd still like to know why I can't view the files when opening the Camcorder's hard drive, only the recycler folder- and that's only with show hidden files selected.

I didn't really keep track of what aps I installed in what order. I can give you a list of all the ones I have installed. The cam image file format, I think, is UXP- that's the label the videos have.
    Last edited by videofan70; 19th Oct 2013 at 00:17.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Ok, so you do need more information, where can I find it?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Did you re-install the camcorder software? That would have all the drivers/codecs necessary.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by MykRian View Post
    Did you re-install the camcorder software? That would have all the drivers/codecs necessary.
    I reinstalled it a few times tonight, no real difference. Once again, a few minutes before now it was working semi-correctly, though I would have some video problems, but at least I could see the video. Here's a pic of what the video looks like viewed with VLC player. I have to take a pic of the screen with a still camera, because taking a screenshot with print screen and posting to paint will only show me a blank screen, not what was actually playing.

Here's the same video clip viewed in Everio MediaBrowser HD.

I only started using MediaBrowser recently. Before, I would simply open the camera as a drive under my computer. Still doesn't explain why I can't even see them there.
    Quote Quote