VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am new to this and have a few question I am hoping someone can help me out with. I have a few .mkv files that I want to convert and burn onto bluray (25g) disks to play in my blu ray player. Right now I have used TXmuxer which works well. It creates the BDMV and Certificate folders then I burn them to BD with IMGBurn. My question is from what I have been reading TXmuxer works well but you don't get the full quality. I have used a few other program to create the BDMV and Certificate folders so I can burn them but it seem like it take like about 6 hours for the process to complete. I am trying to get the highest quality though, should I keep using txmuser which only takes a few minutes or is it better to use the other programs? I also have DVDFab which have a bluray ripper but it takes about 6 hours.

Any suggestion
    ??
    Quote Quote  
  2. Here is some info about one of the mkv's i have

SIZE..........: 10.4GB
    VIDEO CODEC...: x264, 2pass, L4.1
    FRAMERATE.....: 23.976 fps
    BITRATE.......: 12000kbps
    RESOLUTION....: 1920x800 (2.40:1)
    AUDIO1........: English AC3 5.1 @ 640 kbps
    AUDIO2........: AAC 2.0 q=0.3 @ 75kbps
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Mikey0124 View Post
    Here is some info about one of the mkv's i have

That video has been cropped and is not Blu-Ray compliant resolution. Therefore it must be re-encoded if you want it to play on a standalone Blu-Ray player in Blu-Ray structure. That will probably mean it will have undergone *two* re-encodes from the original with a lossy codec, assuming the source was a Blu-Ray movie.

Probably best to get a standalone that will play MKVs with non-compliant resolutions, or a media player like the WD player. Or just buy the Blu-Rays.

If you insist on going through with your plan (and there will be unavoidable quality loss with each re-encode), use AVCHDCoder. It will accept odd resolutions and output compliant BD structure ready to burn to BD25. Whatever you're using to "burn" these videos (you don't say, is it a secret?) is obviously re-encoding them if it's taking six hours. And DVDFab is a fine decrypter, but its re-encoding is poor quality. Notice that your video was encoded with the x264 encoder, which is what AVCHDCoder uses.

BTW tsMuxer does *not* re-encode, it just muxes (multiplexes) the streams. That would be ideal if your videos were compliant, but they aren't, at least the example you posted.

Good luck.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Mikey0124 View Post
    from what I have been reading TXmuxer works well but you don't get the full quality.
    You mean TsMuxer? TsMuxer doesn't reencode, it just takes the video out of the MKV container and puts it in an M2TS container. Like taking a cake out of one box and putting it in another box, the cake is unchanged. So that is the highest quality you will ever get from that MKV file. Any re-encoding (eg. to make it a Blu-ray compatible frame size) will only decrease the quality.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thank you for the great response. So if I do not need to reencode the video you would recommend TSmuxer to get it to blu ray format? And if I do need to encode it use the AVCHDCoder? And what is blu ray complaint resolution? 1920×1080?

Originally Posted by fritzi93 View Post
    Originally Posted by Mikey0124 View Post
    Here is some info about one of the mkv's i have

That video has been cropped and is not Blu-Ray compliant resolution. Therefore it must be re-encoded if you want it to play on a standalone Blu-Ray player in Blu-Ray structure. That will probably mean it will have undergone *two* re-encodes from the original with a lossy codec, assuming the source was a Blu-Ray movie.

Probably best to get a standalone that will play MKVs with non-compliant resolutions, or a media player like the WD player. Or just buy the Blu-Rays.

If you insist on going through with your plan (and there will be unavoidable quality loss with each re-encode), use AVCHDCoder. It will accept odd resolutions and output compliant BD structure ready to burn to BD25. Whatever you're using to "burn" these videos (you don't say, is it a secret?) is obviously re-encoding them if it's taking six hours. And DVDFab is a fine decrypter, but its re-encoding is poor quality. Notice that your video was encoded with the x264 encoder, which is what AVCHDCoder uses.

BTW tsMuxer does *not* re-encode, it just muxes (multiplexes) the streams. That would be ideal if your videos were compliant, but they aren't, at least the example you posted.

Good luck.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mikey0124
    And what is blu ray complaint resolution? 1920×1080?
    Bluray specs:

https://www.videohelp.com/hd

Video frame size High Definition Video (frame size x frame rate x interlaced or progressive) (frame aspect ratio)
    1920x1080x29.97i, 25i (16:9)
    1920x1080x24p, 23.976p (16:9)
    1440x1080x59.94i, 50i (16:9) AVC / VC-1 only
    1440x1080x24p, 23.976p (16:9) AVC / VC-1 only
    1280x720x59.94p, 50p (16:9)
    1280x720x24p, 23.976p (16:9)
    Standard Definition Video
    720x480x59.94i (4:3/16:9)
    720x576x50i (4:3/16:9)

edit - if you have a large collection of non compliant material I would do what fritzi93 suggested and get a settop media player that can play non standard resolution material. That way you just load the file as it is and play with out any other hassles.

If its only a handful of videos that are non-standard than reencoding those should not be much of a hassle if you take the time to do it and you'll be done.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote