VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have an uncompressed .AVI file (RGB) that is 1920x1080 resolution. I would like to resize the video down to 720x480 while maintaining as much quality as possible. Is anyone aware of a program that will do this?

I realize the aspect ratios are different, but I am trying to get this to 720x480 before I encode it and eventually author it to DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    WHy not convert directly to dvd mpeg2?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I haven't been pleased with the results when I allow the encoder to resize the video. too I have tried many encoders and the results have all been similarly poor, so I was looking to try a different approach -- resize before encoding -- instead of resizing during encoding.

Any ideas?
    Quote Quote  
  4. AviSynth:

Code:
    AviSource("filename.avi")
    BilinearResize(720, 480) #compresses better
    or

Code:
    AviSource("filename.avi")
    LanczosResize(720, 480) #sharper
    A 1920x1080 frame downsized with BilinearResize():

And LanczosResize():

Beyond that, encode 16:9 MPEG2 for DVD and be sure to use sufficient bitrate.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you, Jagabo I'll confess I have been avoiding AviSynth just because it looks a lot less user-friendly compared to a lot of the more popular, big name GUI programs, but I just tried the simple script you provided and it produced a better result than what I was getting using the encoder to resize.

I'm a convert! LOL.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Congratulation on your first AVS script! It's definitely worth learning a little AviSynth. It's the most powerful and flexible video filtering tool there is.
    Quote Quote