VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    DvdCell Injection guide

There have been a number of request's related to the injection or the creation of new cell's within a dvd structure , and this guide cover's only the very basic's in order to avoid common problem's such as skipping / lockup's on home dvd player's concerning “home authored” dvd content .

It is not intended to be a definetive guide , but a starting point for those wanting atleast a good starting point to avoid issue's .

Remember ... this is the basic level ... it can get even more complicated ... that only the most hard core'd avid content author would even consider it too begin with .

As this guide has been written under a specific time ... I have tried to be correct , and to limit the process down to the least number of part's involved .
    You have every right , to just pick what you want too do ... which might get the job done ... but it would be inferior process .

Having said this ... it is your choice ... you own the content at hand .

Firstly the tool's we need are :

Pgcedit , vobblanker , vobedit , rejig , vidchanger , avisynth , quenc ... possibly syncview and besweet .

Forward : Notation

What I am about to show you is how to inject a new cell within a dvd structure ... however , it should be noted that this will work , and is highly suited to those creating “home made” content where specific issue's do not pre-exist as when compared to “commercial” dvd structure .

1: Commercially generated audio stream type's .

2: Multiple subtitle's .

Some audio stream type's can only be created through the ownership of certain dvd authoring package's or plugin's for other's ... it is fair too say , most people here , would like to do as much as possible using only freeware when ever possible ... and this is what I am about too show those who are interested in such a procedure .

We may also run into a problem where this home made content may not have any chapter's , and some authoring package's also include one blank cell up front ... dvdauthorgui dose not include this blank cell , as far as I can tell ... from all the time's I have used it .

This extra info concerning “multiple audio / subtitle's” will not be covered under this guide ... but will be included in another guide too be eventually linked at the end of this guide at a later date for those needing help for such issue's ... otherwise this guide would end up being extremely comprehensive ... and almost impossible for most to comprehend in it's entirety as a single document .

So , to speed thing's up a little , the title I am dealing with only include's one ac3 audio stream being 2 channel only ... no subtitle involvement ... and include's 23 chapter point cell's (remember what I said about that blank cell bit before hand) .

The video is pal , and the same gose for the video clip to be injected .

The new cell being injected will become part a of an existing cell , and the older part become's part b of the existing cell's id ... so as to avoid having to make modifications to any existing menu chapter structure ... that in itself will be another , more comprehensive guide at a later date .

Part 1 : Determination of structure .

Multi angled title's included in commercially aquired or created content will not be covered under this guide .

Unless you have a professional dvd authoring package that can create such content it would be best to use pgcedit's “dell angle” feature to remove this before moving on through this guide ... to avoid complication's .

People who own “up the creek” will now what I'm talking about ... nice trick ... not ... very funny guy's ... but it dont work .

Here's how :

Luanch pgcedit , and load your dvd title from hard drive ...
    Go down to where the main title is located within the left hand pane ...
    Double click on your main title once located , and hit this button in the new window that appear's ... it's down the bottom .

Beware of which angle you are about to remove ... when done , save dvd , and pgcedit will correct any issue's .

Part 2 : Determining the content .

So here is a snap of what I have in my project folder at the moment .

Your title's id may be another number ... you should note the file's size's in this case .

My first vob is the menu , and we are not making any change's to it ... that's for another guide .

Create the following folder ... “project” ... under this you will create this folder ... temp .
    Under temp , you will create folder's one , and two ... and also create temp folder's inside these last two .

Part 3 : Grabbing cell's for editing .

We are going to assume you dvd content dose include chapter point's from this point on ... if it dose not , you may want to look up my guide and adding chapter's and commercial removal : https://forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=291744 .

Launch Vobblanker and aim it at your “VIDEO_TS.IFO” in your dvd folder .

Now in the pane below this one , go down and locate you main title ... mine being

Now in the pane below this one I have shown

Double click it , and a new window will appear listing all cell's available .

To be sure of the cell we want ... in this case , being cell 4 , click it , then hit preview

This will help you too determine the cell you want to use this “injection” procedure on .

Having found the cell we want to add too .

Select the cell prior to it (2 / 3) , and hit .

This cell gose to folder “one” .

You then extract the cell we wanted to folder “two” .

When done , close vob blanker .

Example :

Cell 7 required ... then
    Cell 6 to folder “one”
    Cell 7 to folder “two”
    Done ...

Part 4 : Demuxing

Launch vobedit , and load the first vob cell we just extracted to folder “one” ... and hit

In the new window , select these option's (you may need to use all 3 option's if subtitle are included) .

Click Ok , and save the output to folder “temp” , under folder “one” and wait .

When done , repeat the process for our required vob cell ... it's output gose to “temp” under folder “two” .

When done , close vobedit .

We made it this far ... I suggest you take a few minute's as a break before continuing on .

Part 5 : Issue's .

This next issue concern's problem's ...

Video bitrate and format ... audio bitrate and format of the new cell one wish's to include and inject into the title .
    Get this wrong and it can cause issue's during play back .

Here is what media info reported about the video stream from the demuxed cell .

And here is what it reported for the audio stream .

Note :

Ok , there are reason's you do NOT go stuffing about here in any form what's so ever ... or you will end up screwing your home dvd player about ... you wont kill it ... but problem's will show up ... I know from extensive knowledge and practice .

There will be those here that will say there's no problem's ... and this is not true... you can not simply inject a new cell within the structure after the event ... to avoid common problem's it must be done at the authoring level only .

So how to avoid such problem's ...

Part 6 : Preparation of new “injection” file's .

So far we have completed the demuxing of the cell's .

What we will do now is confirm the m2v and audio stream you wish to use in the “injection” point as being no less than , nor greater than that which is included within the original title , and one more step , which I believe help's when it come's down to audio “butting up” treatment ... which player's will pickup on and most likely you will hear a noise like a click or pop ... I can tell you this is not nice at all , and can affect all audio play back from this point on .

The issue here with audio , is making sure that the audio stream you wish to include as part of the “injection” method , physically match's the video stream which is being “injected” .

Unfortunately , this , using freeware tool's , most do not do this correctly , and this is where the problem is picked up by the home dvd player's .

We will get too audio processing soon , but first let's do the video , as it come's first in this process .

Part 7 : Video re-processing

The quickest method would be to reprocess via avisynth , along with either quenc , hc_encoder or bbmpeg ... your choice of course .

Create a new text file and name it video.avs , and say yes , when windows ask about changing the extension of the file .
    Open it with notepad and insert the following .

DirectShowSource("C:\VTS_01_1.m2v") .BilinearResize(720,576)
    ConvertToYV12

This will control quenc and hc_encoder to behave and to leave the size's alone so that when media info is rechecked on the new stream , it actually match's the same reported data as before ... without this , the m2v output gets changed to 704x576 .

These encoder's also include a bitrate setting ... I set it to the reported value of mediainfo ... here is quenc .

It may not be perfect , but it's better than just “injecting” video stream that may not be a match into the title .

Check out the other setting's in quenc or hc_encoder ... you'll find 4:3 and 16:9 option's as well ... set these to their correctly required value as shown by mediainfo before encoding .

Note :

The above script know's the video stream for encoding is on C drive ... it's very easy to figure out what you might need to change too match up with the previous cell's video stream info .

You need to change the output destination ... do not save it in the same folder ... unless you choose to save it under a different name ... it would be preferable if the output stream was saved to “temp” folder , under “project” .

There will be other's who will suggest a better method than this ... and it is most welcome ... I just havent done this in quite sometime ... but it still work's quite well .

This complete's the video match up .

Part 8 : Audio processing .

There's a couple of step's we need to perform here , and each part will be identified under sub heading's A , B , C and D .

A :

It is assumed we are still dealing with an ac3 sound track containing only 2 channel's .

Launch besweet , and click

Now in new window , click this next button and change it to “ac3”

Over to the left , navigate to folder “one” and double click the ac3 file located in the right pane ... when done , click

We now change this next option back in besweet's main gui too (it's over to the right)

Then hit

When done , you will process the ac3 stream in the same manner from folder “two”

Note : If the audio file to be injected is also , an ac3 , it will need to be proceesed in the same manner ... save it out too “temp” folder for now .

When all have been converted to wav , close besweet .

B :

We now are going to do a little processing to the new wav's ... so run audacity .

Open the wav from folder “one” ... we really need to zoom the hell out of this right now to start with till we can see the info in second's as close as possible , so click

Till we can see the difference between 5 seconds of audio .

Select Edit , Move Cursor , To Track End ...

Now you see in the above picture “selection start” and the other time option to the right of it .

Well in my case I click the 9 shown in the box under “end” and hit 7 (giving two seconds)

Followed by , edit , select , cursor to end ... and we get this now

Now choose , Efect , fade out

When done , save it ... File , Export As , Wav .

Save it under a new name ... call it “endtweaked.wav” and save it to folder “one” ... and it's done .

C :

Close this file in audacity , and load the wav file from folder “two” .

Having done so , we do the same thing too the start of this audio file only ... as in Edit , Move Cursor , To Track Start .

Repeat what I said about entering 2 in the same place , and we get this now

Now , Effect , Fade In .

File , Export As , Wav .

Save under a new name to folder “two” and wait .

Close this file when done .

Part 9 :

Open the wav file from folder “temp”

Edit , Move Cursor , To Track Start .

Enter 2 in the same place as before .

Edit , Select , Start To Cursor .

Effect , Fade In .

Now repeat the trick to fadeout the end of this file as shown before .

File , Export As , Wav .

Save it under a new name in folder “temp” , and wait .

Close audacity now that we have completed this tweak .

Note :

The reason behind this is not to butt up audio that might not be precisely matched inside the frequency , which would cause the pop or click sound to be produced any other way .

Part 10 : Syncing .

We now come to the point where we need to align the new audio located in folder “temp” and the new encoded video stream to each other .

For this , please follow the instuctions to this guide : https://forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=322348

It work's as described .

Part 11 : Reconversion of audio .

Remember what mediainfo reported the original title's cell to be ... we need to match it .

Launch besweet , and click on that same first button as before , only this time when you click that second button , you must change it to WAV .

Navigate to folder “one” and double click to add it , followed by clicking on OK .

Now change this box to ac3

You will notice what was once “wav to wav” has switched to “wav to ac3” now ... ok ... click “ac3 & oog” button up above , and in the new window , we can set the bitrate needed .

This is the same bitrate as what mediainfo reported as being used .

Having set that click on the output button above

In the right pane , navigate to folder “one” .

You should set this file name to something like ... track1 ... over here is where you do this .

Click OK ... then hit

And wait till it complete's .

You now need to repeat all the steps for besweet from the start of part 10 , to convert over the two remaining wav stream's back to ac3 .

When converting wav from folder “two” , name it track2 ... and for folder “temp” , name it track3 ... this way you wont get it all screwed up .

That's all , just remember when processing the wav's back to ac3 , that they go back to their respective folder's only ... dont get them mixed up ... or you will want to blow your brain's out ... or repeat the whole audio reprocessing from part 10 again ... as you still have the wav's to reuse .

Part 12 :

Holly crapola ... we got through all that without too many problem's ... I'd suggest you have a coffee before we get down to the final few point's remaining ... were not far away from the end now .

Thankfully I just checked that “sync” thing was in the correct order ... it is ... no problem then .

We now have a choice ... you can use muxman or rejig or even ifoedit to put the m2v's and ac3's back together , almost ready for “injection” back into the title back in vobblanker .

There seem's to be some confusion as to whether to use one or the other when it come's down to pal or nstc .

From what I can gather , user's have reported rejig for nstc , and ifoedit for pal ... I have no idea about muxman ... but from all my authoring with ifoedit ... I can not see the issue other's are claiming to exist with nsct issue's .

So in this case , follow the advise till it can be solidly confirmed .

Here , my project use's pal , and I'll put it through rejig .

Launch rejig .

Click “Dvd Author” button .

Here we load the m2v , and ac3 from folder “one \ temp”

You must also include the output folder destination .

Click “create” if everything is fine and correct ...and wait .

You will need to repeat this process for the content's of folder “two”

When it come's down too the third too be generated from the “temp” , create a new folder called “three” , and output to it .

When done , close rejig .

Part 13 : Vob joining

Create a new final folder called “celldone” .

Rename vob in folder “temp” too vts_01_000.vob .

Rename vob in folder “two” too vts_01_001.vob .

Move both of these vob's only to the “celldone” folder (do not include the vob from folder “one”) .

Launch vobedit , and load the first vob now named vts_01_000.vob .

Hit Edit , then select “join vob cell's” .

Create a folder in "celldone" called "final"

You will now select the folder “final” as the output folder .

Let it go and wait ... when done .. close vobedit .

Effectively ... we are adding the new stream's in front of the old cell .

Note :

Should you need it the otherway around , you need to watch out for the process used in audacity when it come's too selecting which end's require fadein or fade out processing .

Part 13 : Cell id change's

This one is quite simple , thank's to a cool nifty little tool called vidchanger ... and should be considered wisely .

Take note of what vobblanker reported the cell id's as , we need to use the same id's .

Launch vidchanger .

We will be using full vob process mode ... and need to repeat the process twice as it dose not perform both id's change's at the same time .

Load you ifo from folder “final” , and set these setting's (dont worry about where my files are coming from , just the setting's info) .

Those id's are from cell 4 , back in vobblanker , and as this is a newly generated cell , it's internal id's will not match the one it will replace ... this is important .

As it is ready , I set the vob's id number as listed for cell 4 in vobblanker , then select “fix vob id” first , then hit “process”

We then select “cell id” change it to the required number up above to the same value as shown back in vobblanker , and hit “process” once more .

You then repeat the above mention process for the new vob in folder “one” ... it's the one that precede's this replacement vob cell .

They will use the original id's as listed in vobblanker .

In my case , the vob now in folder “one” must have it's id's changed to report vob 2 , cell 3 .

What we have now is a new cell with matching id , that has had the extra video and audio added to the start of the original vob cell it is to replace back in vobblanker .

And the cell replacement for the one before , which had a minor audio adjustment .

Part 14 : “Injection” .

Launch vobblanker , and load the original video_ts.ifo from your main title's folder once more .

Click on your main title as before .

In the lower pane , double click on the title which has the cell's we want again as before .

We then click on cell 3 as my example , and we sellect

We select the vob from folder “one” .

It's the one that had the audio “fadeout” part performed on on the end of it ... and wait .

Next

We now select cell 4 , and hit the same button as before , and select the new vob , now residing in the folder called “final” , and wait .

Part 15 : finalizing

Launch pgcedit , and load the dvd content from the original folder , and wait .

Should pgcedit find any problem's , let it fix them ... then save dvd .

If it was done correctly step by step , there shouldn't be any issue's .

Part 16 : Pre burn

As with all project's , it is a good idea to play back anything you may have edited , in order to confirm any possible issue's that may exist prior to burning to media .

Remember ... it is better to include extra content to be included within any title , from up front , during the authoring stage .

Now that you have seen the whole process in action ... you might want too ...

A : Keep a copy for later reference .

B : Never do this again ... lol .

Part 17 : Final word's

Hopefully , as this was a 24 hour quick process for this guide ... and as it dose get busy at time's ... my brain may have gone off on it's own without warning ... I have just double checked the process's involved , and dont see any problem's ... apart from there will be sugestion's from a whole heap of user's , saying one thing or another .

I welcome those who might be able to supply some better input as to the process's used ... remember , it's up to you ... it's YOUR choice ... no-one else's .

Now I need a break ... coffee first .

Did I not say ... this was the basic guide ... lol ... I need an asprin ... a pack will do it ...

A final reminder that after you have completed the injection procedure ... are happy with the final result's ... and burnt to media ... too delete all file's and folder's associated with the project ... not too forget ... when it come's down to intensive authoring , you should run scan disk and defrag the hard drive once in a while to prevent system degredation caused by file fragmentation from appearing .
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Forgive me but what is the aim of this exercise, all I can see is that 2 cells were exported, demuxed, fiddled with the audio, remuxed, joined and imported back to dvd files. What example can you give for doing all of this please.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by peterhun
    Forgive me but what is the aim of this exercise, all I can see is that 2 cells were exported, demuxed, fiddled with the audio, remuxed, joined and imported back to dvd files. What example can you give for doing all of this please.
    I believe it's for burning on DL media,here's another guide:
    http://www.digital-digest.com/~blutach/dl_burn_guide2/dl_burning_with_pgcedit_v2.htm

BTW...here's the link to MediaInfo: http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You cant see it , if you dont understand it .

It shows how to take a cell from a dvd .
    Split the cell into 2 .
    Replace one of those pieces with a replacement clip .
    Reinsert it with considerations so as to not cause conflicts within the dvd , and its playback .

The problems :

Video format and bitrate must be confirmed and corrected prior .
    Audio format and bitrate must also be corrected .
    Audio fades prevent pops and clicks which are caused by audio being joined .
    Cell id change , prevents issues with dvd playback .
    (new cell when generated would have cell id 0 , which is already used within the title) .

Its complicated .

As a note , dvdshrink can perform a similar function , yet issues will remain unresolved , and I shouldnt have to explain what those are when they have been covered in the guide above .

For the lay person :

You have an already authored dvd .
    You nolonger have the raw project files available .
    You do not want to have to completely decompile the authored dvd , thats a pain .
    You know the cell involved where content either needs to be partially replaced or added .
    You want to avoid all pitfalls in doing so .
    Well , read the guide .

Seems to cover it .

----

Nothing to do with dl media .
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks Bjs, it makes sense now, especially 'cause I've done a lot of editing since my enquiry. I know where I can use this now.
    Quote Quote