VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3
Thread
  1. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    When given a choice between LG and Sony players, I'd go with LG without another thought. It's your call as to whether or not you want to put money in the pocket of a company (Sony) that hates its customers and foisted Cinavia on us. Look that up if you haven't heard of it.

I've used Philips DVD players for years for region free DVD players. My current region free Blu Ray player is Insignia, but the model I have is obsolete and as far as I know the current models aren't region free.

I'm not convinced that the vast majority of consumers can really tell any difference between any models of DVD/BD players, but some people may be able to. I'd just ask you to consider whether you really are going to be able to tell any difference or not. If you can't tell any difference, it's dumb to buy Sony only because some guy you don't even know wrote a review claiming (and you have no way to verify) that it was the greatest player he ever used or some such story.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    The most noticeable difference in any Blu-ray player's video quality is DVD deinterlacing, followed by DVD scaling, and at a distant last is correct color output for Blu-ray content. IMO the average consumer would be better served evaluating which UI, remote, and perhaps streaming options they like better. But I don't know whether yelkenli or the OP is an average consumer.

Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    put money in the pocket of a company (Sony) that hates its customers and foisted Cinavia on us.
    Just so long as your stance is the same on buying Panasonic and especially Intel, the creators of HDCP.

http://www.verance.com/AdminSavR/news/news_item.php?news_id=42
    June 5, 2009 SAN DIEGO, CA – AACS LA, LLC today issued final technical specifications and license agreements .... enabling ... vendors to immediately begin including Verance’s Cinavia technology in Blu-ray Disc players.
    AACS LA is a cross-industry consortium, whose membership includes IBM, Intel, Microsoft, Panasonic, Sony, Toshiba, The Walt Disney Company, and Warner Bros. Studios.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have nothing against the Sony BDP-S5100, but I would talk to the seller first to find out if it really does convert from PAL to NTSC and if all region playback for Blu-Ray requires paying an additional fee. 220-electronic's chart says it converts from PAL to NTSC and is All-Region for Blu-Ray, but the page for the item itself is unclear on conversion and includes a check box to add $50 for "All-regions Blu-Ray (A,B,C)"

If it has the features you need for it to work with a US TV and you think it is a better product than any of the LG Blu-Ray players that are region free and convert from PAL to NTSc, then buy it.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 15th Nov 2013 at 14:20.
    Quote Quote