VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There are some discs that it attempts to format and then it says, "This disc can neither be played nor recorded." That doesn't actually bother me too much. However, when I get a program properly recorded and I want to finalize the thing takes forever and is stuck on finalize. When I pull the disc out I end up extracting the data to an ISO with ISObuster, which works fine. But I'm thinking this DVD Recorder is way too temperamental. I wish there was a way for it to finalize properly.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What brand of blank discs are you using?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Are you using good blanks?
    Compare what you have against this list: http://www.digitalFAQ.com/reviews/dvd-media.htm

Odds are that you're just using junky media.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Memorex DVD R+
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by matthewjohn23 View Post
    Memorex DVD R+
    = junk blank media.

Use better discs, from the list in my last post.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Okay, I will give it a shot. Do you know if the Verbatim ones from Office Depot are any good?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Do you know if the Verbatim ones from Office Depot are any good?
    That would depend on which one's they are,

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/319565-Verbatim-Life-Series-DataLifePlus?p=1983041&...=1#post1983041

This is where i usually get them,
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817507003

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817507005

Last week i picked up two packs of +R's & they were $16.99 with free shipping.
    They go on sale there all the time but even at $24.99 W/free shipping is probably going to be cheaper than office depot

They have them on sale at offcemax also for between $20-$25 but they have been carrying the crappy one's which is why i just order them from newegg.
    Last edited by Noahtuck; 30th Dec 2010 at 13:01.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Memorex DVD R+
    Tsk-tsk...slandering your Sony DVD recorder as though it was the culprit.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Okay, I will give it a shot. Do you know if the Verbatim ones from Office Depot are any good?
    Unlikely.
    Read this: Which MCC brand Verbatim DVDs when I go to a retail store?

Best to buy online from Amazon. Cheaper, too. ($20 per 100-pack)
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I agree about the media, you're using about the worst media available, try changing that first.
    If you still have problems you might want to consider trying to clean the spindle on your DVDR. Not sure how easy it would be on a Sony but what you describe sounds like your discs could be slipping during burning. If your DVDs have fine circular scratches on the innermost part of your DVDs(it should be crystal clear like glass) your DVDs are slipping. DVD cleaning discs do nothing to clean the spindle.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Nah, I think it's the Sony product. The fact that you have to feed it a higher quality disc proves it. Probably a weak/cheap laser.

But I guess the case is all blingy and slick though. That's what you're paying for.

Memorex is no good? What about their slogan "Is it live, or is it Memorex"?
    Last edited by budwzr; 30th Dec 2010 at 15:52.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by budwzr View Post
    Memorex is no good? What about their slogan "Is it live, or is it Memorex"?
    That was for their AUDIO TAPES.

Anyway... Everything Verbatim makes is fine except their cheap "Life" series available in retail stores, so matthewjohn23 should avoid those.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by filmboss80 View Post
    Memorex DVD R+
    Tsk-tsk...slandering your Sony DVD recorder as though it was the culprit.
    It actually did the same thing with the Verbatim disc. I recorded with no problems and then the thing wouldn't finalize properly. The finalize flashing light went on and the thing never stopped. It's almost like the thing jammed. It would stop or turn off. I had to unplug it. Then, when I tried to play the disc it said, "This disc can neither be played nor recorded." I usually end up having to use ISO buster to get the data off these unplayable semi-finalized discs.
    Quote Quote  
  14. I'm surprised you haven't yet mentioned (and no one's asked) what model Sony recorder you have? While its true memowrecks is lousy media, the alerts you've reported are known to pop up repeatedly when older Sony recorders are about to become doorstops. There is no repairing them, Sony no longer stocks parts, if this recorder is more than four years old you may just have to scrap it.

Regarding media, Verbatim is no guarantee of anything if your machine is tanking. The version sold in stores is all 16x speed, which newer DVD recorders merely tolerate and many older recorders gag on. If you have a very recent recorder, 16x Verbatim AZO is fine, and it works great on PCs, but older recorders can choke on it as easily as Memorex. Once your machine starts acting up, you need to shift over to the slower 8x media most recorders were (stupidly) designed around: 8x uses quite a bit less laser power and spins slower, so sometimes you can squeeze a few months more life from a dying recorder with it. The two most reliable 8x media types are Verbatim DataLifePlus DVD-R and TY/JVC Premium Silver Lacquer DVD-R, available from online media dealers and eBay. Avoid using +R media in older machines unless they're Philips or Magnavox brand, the first run of Sony recorders that claimed to be compatible with both -R and +R actually prefer -R and as they age this becomes more of an issue.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by orsetto View Post
    I'm surprised you haven't yet mentioned (and no one's asked) what model Sony recorder you have? While its true memowrecks is lousy media, the alerts you've reported are known to pop up repeatedly when older Sony recorders are about to become doorstops. There is no repairing them, Sony no longer stocks parts, if this recorder is more than four years old you may just have to scrap it.

Regarding media, Verbatim is no guarantee of anything if your machine is tanking. The version sold in stores is all 16x speed, which newer DVD recorders merely tolerate and many older recorders gag on. If you have a very recent recorder, 16x Verbatim AZO is fine, and it works great on PCs, but older recorders can choke on it as easily as Memorex. Once your machine starts acting up, you need to shift over to the slower 8x media most recorders were (stupidly) designed around: 8x uses quite a bit less laser power and spins slower, so sometimes you can squeeze a few months more life from a dying recorder with it. The two most reliable 8x media types are Verbatim DataLifePlus DVD-R and TY/JVC Premium Silver Lacquer DVD-R, available from online media dealers and eBay. Avoid using +R media in older machines unless they're Philips or Magnavox brand, the first run of Sony recorders that claimed to be compatible with both -R and +R actually prefer -R and as they age this becomes more of an issue.
    It's an RDR-VX500, which I think is from 2004. I had problems with DVD R- on this machine. So much so that it doesn't even recognize R- discs. The DVD recorder records fine, but when I get to that final step of finalizing it just can't finish the job.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Did you try cleaning the spindle, like I mentioned in post #10?
    Your symptom is exactly what happens on Panasonic DVDRs when the spindle is dirty allowing the disc to slip during times when the disc needs to change speed quickly(editing disc, finalizing, etc.).
    If you can't open the drive you may be able to somewhat clean the spindle by ejecting the tray, unplugging the DVDR and finally using a long handled Q-tip soaked in iso alcohol and a flashlight you should be able to clean the bottom spindle. It would be worth a try.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by matthewjohn23 View Post
    It's an RDR-VX500, which I think is from 2004. I had problems with DVD R- on this machine. So much so that it doesn't even recognize R- discs. The DVD recorder records fine, but when I get to that final step of finalizing it just can't finish the job.
    The machine is dying: you've been astonishingly fortunate that it lasted this long. Sonys of that period could make remarkable recordings, but they have an unfortunate reputation of barely surviving their initial warranty period. Sony did not get its act together until the RDR-HX525 series, as far as durability and compatibility with a variety of disc brands. The RDR-HX500 was designed exclusively around the Sony-brand media of the time, which was actually JVC/TY OEM. Any other media tends to be rejected as "dirty" or hangs the machine at the finalization stage.

So I'm not being cute when I say: it absolutely blows my mind that you've been routinely feeding this "diiva from hell" Memorex and other typical discount media, and it has actually tolerated it for seven years: the unit deserves placement in the Sony hall of fame or something. This is unheard of with that series of recorders. Throw some salt over your shoulder and thank the recorder gods for letting you get away with this for all that time, but your run of luck is over now- once these Sonys start failing finalization, they are doorstops. jjeff means well with his cleaning advice but it doesn't revive this series of Sony: the burner is simply on its last legs. You can try to keep it limping along by switching to TY/JVC media, if you insist your RDR-HX500 prefers +R (very unusual) TY/JVC does also make +R. A spindle of 100 costs about $37 shipped from places like supermediastore.com. If this media doesn't work, the recorder is dead: pull the plug and bury it, the discs will work perfectly in any other recorder and are the best you can buy.

Unless you enjoy going the ISObuster route to finalize every single DVD the machine burns until it finally dies completely, you need another recorder. There aren't any new DVD/HDD models available aside from the Magnavoxes at Wal*Mart and a couple of grey market import Panasonics from import dealers. Every now and then J&R Electronics offers a great deal on new-open-box Magnavox 513 models for $169 including free shipping. These have updated ATSC/QAM tuners, great recording quality at XP/SP, 320GB HDD, HDMI upscaling and a much more reliable burner than the RDR-HX500. Try one, you might like it, if not return it for refund and look for the much more expensive Panasonic EH69.
    Last edited by orsetto; 15th Jun 2011 at 11:38.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
    I agree about the media, you're using about the worst media available, try changing that first.
    If you still have problems you might want to consider trying to clean the spindle on your DVDR. Not sure how easy it would be on a Sony but what you describe sounds like your discs could be slipping during burning. If your DVDs have fine circular scratches on the innermost part of your DVDs(it should be crystal clear like glass) your DVDs are slipping. DVD cleaning discs do nothing to clean the spindle.
    What's the process for cleaning the spindle? Do I unscrew the thing and wipe the center piece that the disc sits on with a Q tip?
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you can easily remove the cover of your DVD drive, that's how it is done on a Panasonic. Otherwise some brands(I've been told Pioneer) aren't able to be easily taken apart. In this case you need a long handled Q-tip(long wooden handled Q-tips are used in the medial field or sometimes used to be used for VCR tape path cleaning) and get as good as you can from the front slot when the tray is extended.
    Citibear may very well be right that your problem is a worn DVD drive vs. a cleaning problem but a cleaning wouldn't hurt either. During things like editing or finalizing a DVD needs to be able to change speed very quickly, if the disc slips during this process it can ruin a disc or make it unfinalizable. I have several unfinalizable DVDs made by my Panasonics before I learned how to clean the spindle, now I never really have such problems.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I cleaned the thing, but it is still giving me trouble on the finalizing. I'm thinking I should try a Sony R+ Disc.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by matthewjohn23 View Post
    Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
    What's the process for cleaning the spindle? Do I unscrew the thing and wipe the center piece that the disc sits on with a Q tip?
    Don't forget to clean the bit above the disk that the disk gets pushed up against. Make sure any rubber bits that make contact with the disk are properly clean (one quick swipe with a damp q-tip just won't do!) as these are the bits that stop the disk slipping.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by TimA-C View Post
    Don't forget to clean the bit above the disk that the disk gets pushed up against. Make sure any rubber bits that make contact with the disk are properly clean (one quick swipe with a damp q-tip just won't do!) as these are the bits that stop the disk slipping.
    I did a second cleaning and I got a finalized disc.
    Last edited by matthewjohn23; 20th Jun 2011 at 08:53.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Good news! Hopefully you'll be able to keep things going for a while longer.
    Quote Quote  
  24. I'll suggest that now is the time to look at the Magnavox DVD recorders anyway.

Right now they are available, they have a digital tuner that tunes OTA and the clear QAM channels from cable and have a hard drive. I understand that a replacement DVD drive is reasonable priced and that the hard drive is easily replaced too.

I use one sometimes as overflow from my HD DVR. I'll be using it this fall when the networks start putting all the new shows on. This way I can record two on my HD DVR and one on the Magnavox. I setup the forward skip to 30 seconds and the reverse skip to 15 seconds to make it easy to skip over commercials. Makes a cheap Poor mans Tivo since all timers must be manual, however the 500Gb in mine holds a lot of shows. And since I keep basic cable I use it to tune the subchannels off of the HD network channels so I can watch Antenna TV for the old TV shows they show.

Record from a HD channel and the DVD quality is very good.
    If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Good call jjeff and TimA-C!!
    I am just a worthless liar,
    I am just an imbecil
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm thinking I should try a Sony R+ Disc.
    There's no logical reason why that would help.
    A similar discussion was recently had there: Issue with newly purchased Sony DVD+R
    Based on available info, it's pretty conclusive that the machine is now in need of repair.
    The DVD drive has likely gone bad.
    Quote Quote