VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello guys,

I was wondering how I am doing a real remux of an seamless UHD BluRay. In my example I am trying to backup my Star Wars Episode 9 UHD to my hard disk. I found the right playlist and added the playlist to mkvtoolnix, eac3to and MakeMKV to make a remux of it. Theoretically, every software should create the exact same files, because it is a remux. But every software created partly different files. I demuxed every mkv and every movie file (the HEVC stream) had a minimal different file size. (See the picture I uploaded)

So I was wondering: Does every Software create an untouched Remux? Where do the minimal differences come from? Which software creates the real untouched Remux? Keep in mind: With a not seamless branching UHD, mkvtoolnix and eac3to are creating exact same files. Only with seamless branching the files are different. And MakeMKV creates every time slightly different files.
    [Attachment 55267 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The tools you mentioned should all be able to create a proper remux. I have found no (free) tool yet, that doesn't have its own issues and are 100% faultless.
    Some discs go bad with Tool A, some with B.

Skipping the decrypting process for now, I do believe that there can be significant differences in the source's demuxed elementary streams. There's a lot of debate on issues with demuxing of some discs. Seamless branched discs are often mentioned a special treat.

As an example, a demuxed audiostream of a seamless-branched disc can have overlapping audio-frames copied, if not detected and processed properly by the used demuxing software. So, a "real untouched remux" as you call it, is then not even wanted/possible. Also with video several issues are noticed and discussed.

I do think that the tools can do a proper remux, given the input files being ok. Of course MakeMKV is something different as it is a decrypter simutaneously.
    Quote Quote