VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

I have a blu ray dvd that is split into 2 blu ray dvd parts

So I am assuming if I add my subtitle file (which is for the entire movie) to the first disc it will work but the second disc will still show the first part of the subtitle file..

How can I make it so that I can watch the two parts of of the Blu ray discs together with the 1 srt subtitle file.

Do I have to rip the blu ray discs to mp4 and then merge them with some software or is there an easier way to do it?

*fyi I still have to purchase the external blu ray drive to play it on my computer but I plan to do this very soon.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Figure out first how your split discs are time stamping things. IOW, is disc1 starting w/ e.g. 00:00:00 and ending e.g. 01:59:59 while disc2 starts e.g.02:00:00 and ends e.g. 03:59:59? Or does disc2 restart at e.g.00:00:00?

And does your sub track along w/ your video in the same way (whether split or not)?

Once you have that figured out you will have a better idea how to keep in sync and also which parts will need adjustment.

You may want to submit multiple mediainfo logs here to further convey to us what is going on. And it may also help clarify thingsto you.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank-you for your response.

Disc 2 restarts at 00:00:00.

The sub track is one file so I think it wouldn't show the second half on either disc but only the first half.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    If the sub doesn't restart, you will have to manually make the adjustment after splitting. Export to something like a csv then open in excel and rework the time calculating a subtraction of all timestamps by the timestamp of the end of the 1st part. Then save back to csv and reimport into sub format.

Though I would bet that the better subs editors have a feature to do this splitting and adjustment automatically. I rarely use them so am not up to date on their status.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You could use MakeMKV and merge the two parts into a single .mkv with MKVMerge. You may have to adjust the time slightly at the merge with Subtitle Workshop. All free programs.

Be aware that the framerate of your sub may be different from your discs (e.g. 29.97 vs 24fps) because of the framerate of the video the subs were timed to. Fortunately, that's usually easily fixable in Subtitle Workshop.

A few pet peeves that will help you get better, more accurate answers.

Pet peeve #18. You don't RIP (the original and to me only definition, an exact bit for bit copy of the original video, less copy protection and container overhead) to anything but .iso (a copy of the original structure) or files in the folder structure of the disc.

Pet peeve #119. See above. You can't RIP to .mp4 or .mkv or anything else. In addition, .mp4, .mkv, avi, mov and many others are containers which can contain multiple video formats. MakeMKV does two things automatically. Rips the disc and places the ripped video (remuxes) into an .mkv container.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have not tried it but I think that the SRT file can be split into two pieces (one for each disc) fairly easily using Notepad. The timings in the part two file can be adjusted in Subtitle Edit using "Adjust all times (show earlier/later)" from the "Synchronization" menu.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote