VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm ripping some episodes of a show to MP4 but once done I cant seek through them correctly. Lets say I click and skip ahead 1 minute. The video stays black for several seconds before it starts to play again. I opened the file in Avidemux and I cant seek at all. When I try set a start or end marker, it won't even set one. I can't go to the next frame or anything.

I'm using DVDFab, ripping to MP4 H265 HEVC. The file seems to play and seek fine if I rip it to MKV instead.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Not all muxers/demuxers/players handle Open GOP in mp4 correctly. Try a better/up-to-date player (e.g. MPC-HC/LAV) and maybe a better muxing software. I recommend turnging off open-gop when targeting HEVC in mp4. (This is just my guess from the little info you have given.)
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What is Open GOP and how do I turn it off? I am playing my files using MPC-HC. What better software would you recommend for ripping BD to MP4?

This is the first source I've had this problem with. It's a new released disc, if that makes any difference.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Image
    [Attachment 51651 - Click to enlarge]
    [Attachment 51652 - Click to enlarge]

In handbrake, check the two boxes - Fast Decode, Web Optimized - I believe.
    Can't find anything in DVDFab.

Usually, blank video, issues with ripped videos, etc. suggest there might be new decryption used that's preventing a proper rip.
    In this case, Try MakeMKV to rip to MKV, and play that - does it play fine or not?
    If not, new encryption method. Wait for program update.

If it plays fine, use DVDFab/Handbrake to encode the MKV to H.265 and call it a day.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I tried an updated version of DVDFab and it said that my source contains new protection which it doesn't support yet. I ripped it to MP4 anyway and the file plays and seeks fine. I guess I just need a software update.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I also use DVDFab before. It solved my problem.
    Quote Quote