VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Can someone advise weather it is beneficial to have two seperate harddrives when backing up dvd9.
    My point being not for the extra storage space, but so its possible to do each stage from one drive to the other, or is this just not necessary, can I get exceptable results doing it on the same drive and on the same partition.

Please lets have your comments and what do you all prefer
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I understand if you are transcoding, say, with DVD2One or a similar product, the the process goes faster from one drive to another. That being said, I rip and transcode to the same drive on my system. A transcode takes 20-30 minutes for me.

Edit--I do have 2 drives: One for video/dvd/audio, and one for everything else.
    You create your own reality. Interested in media servers and HTPC? Can we talk?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Two drives is good.
    Two drives on separate IDE controllers is even better.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Hey Hothandiman

Do I understand that you have an opperating system on one of the drives and use that just for DVD audio and video and the other with another operating system for the rest, then just boot up the appropriate drive at the time
    Would others agree that its best to keep the two systems seperate
    Quote Quote  
  5. 2 drives making a RAID 0 really nice!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Maveric. I only have one operating system, Windows ME I will upgrade to XP when I get a new computer which I hope is soon. My op system is on my "c" drive along with program files, etc. My other hard drive I use just for ripping DVD files, transcoding, MP3 file conversions, etc. If you have questions about multiple operating system, you my want to try the computer forum. Hope this helps.
    You create your own reality. Interested in media servers and HTPC? Can we talk?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Definitely beneficial. I have 2 WD 120GB drives with 8MB caches, and normally they can do up to 30-40 MB/s, but once they start thrashing they drop to about 2-3 MB/s (which can also screw up a 4x burn).

Operations which require data rates greater than a few MB/s should be done from one drive to another. To copy 4.3 GB from one folder to another takes me about 15 minutes on the same hard drive, or about 3 minutes from one drive to the other.

When transcoding, your CPU is usually the bottleneck and you don't get more than a few MB/s, but when you do not transcode (such as with DVDXCopy, or when running pdi2iso) the extra drive saves you lots of time.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ztank
    To copy 4.3 GB from one folder to another takes me about 15 minutes on the same hard drive,
    A much easier way would be to CUT and paste as opposed to COPY and paste. That way the actual file is not written again, it is just re-referenced in the file allocation table.
    Burn Baby Burn
    It's a Disk-o Inferno
    Quote Quote