VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I read a PC Mag article with a comparison chart of several video editors.

https://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2372120,00.asp

Adobe Elements will not do the following:
    ∙ Multi-cam editing
    ∙ 3D Editing
    ∙ 360 VR Content
    ∙ Export to H.625 (HEVC)

I’m wondering if those features are mostly used by professional video editors at motion pic studios or film editing companies?

Otherwise, those features are not often needed by content creators/editors uploading content on their own Google Channel or YouTube?

Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Multi-cam editing is a fundamental requirement for anyone who shoots with more than one camera at a time. This includes pretty much everyone who shoots sports, weddings, stage productions or any other "event videography." 3D and VR are specialties, although they have little to do with motion picture studios.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Hi John, I probably will only have my Canon DSLR. I've read there are hacks you can use to lengthen the video recording time. Have you used any or know anyone who has?

Otherwise, even if I borrowed a pal's Nikon I'd still be limited to 30 minutes HD for each camera.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  4. A lot of still cameras that "also do video" seem to have a hard limit on recording time. In many cases this is done to avoid overheating the camera. It is also sometimes done to keep the battery from discharging too quickly. You should look at your camera's instructions and also go to web sites to find out if you can avoid the shutdown by using an external power source. There are lots of big external batteries that, with the proper adapter, can power pretty much anything for hours and hours.

I have one camera that has this limitation, but I can increase the recording time by using 1920x1080 rather than 4K. That isn't always a tradeoff you might want to make, but it does show that another avenue that may be open to you is to learn about all the settings and see if there are some that give you increased recording time.

I filmed my daughter's wedding a year ago with four cameras, one of which had these limitations. I was obviously in the wedding, so I couldn't operate the cameras. So, I asked one of the guests, who is a professional drone operator that knows cameras, to get up 2-3 times during the ceremony and go over to the camera to shut it off and then turn it back on again and resume filming, which he did.

So, that is another "workaround," although admittedly a pretty crude one.
    Last edited by johnmeyer; 3rd Dec 2018 at 13:51. Reason: typo
    Quote Quote  
  5. Time limitations on DSLRs have to do with tax structures in EU countries. Still cameras are taxed differently than video cameras.

Edit: This is due to be phased out as early as July 2019, so the 30 minute limit will start to disappear.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    Time limitations on DSLRs have to do with tax structures in EU countries. Still cameras are taxed differently than video cameras.

Edit: This is due to be phased out as early as July 2019, so the 30 minute limit will start to disappear.
    Interesting. The EU sure knows how to screw customers. I remember well the artificial barrier they added to delete the "pass-through" feature on DV camcorders so they couldn't be used to digitize analog video.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    the major problem with using dslr cams for video is heat. those huge sensors quickly get hot and they are not designed for extended on time. i have canon 60, 70 and 80d's and they all approach terminal temp way too fast to use as a constantly on cam. most likely yours will just shut off unexpectedly when you least expect it and you'll lose the most important footage. i only use them as second and third cams that can be turned on and off when not needed.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote