VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey everyone,

Once again I'd like to reach out for assistance from this great forum.

I've been reading up on what to do with interlaced video. I'm not sure if I should post this in encoding, or DVD ripping, but here goes.

Before, I would just re-encode any (downloaded) interlaced videos with Yadif, effectively blending the fields together, ditching a field, or whatever it does. But the more I've researched, the more it appears the encoding solutions become more subjective. And I've never dealt with an interlaced PAL DVD before.

I read that if file size isn't an issue, and if I have the hardware for it, deinterlace using bob, so it doubles the frame rate. This way, I'm not discarding any data from the original video.

I did this with AVIDemux, and the results seem great. The only issue is, I use ReClock to slow the frame rate to 24fps from the usual 25fps. However, since the encoded video is now 50fps, reclock doesn't seem to like that, and it plays terribly.

My TV is set to 24hz and that doesn't jive with 50fps video.

What is the best way to encode this for quality and smoothness of playback?

It seems to me like 50fps is out of the question, I may have to keep it as 25fps for reclock.

Is there a "go-to" method for quality deinterlacing? Or any other suggestions?

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by Phat J View Post
    Without a sample one can only guess. 10 seconds of steady movement from the source (no reencoding).
    Quote Quote  
  3. There's a few little samples in a zip file attached to this post. Yadif at 25fps and 50fps, and QTGMC at 25fps and 50fps. QTGMC does a better job (keep your eye on the window blind in the corner when the camera moves) and obviously 50fps provides smoother motion than 25fps regardless of the de-interlacing method. QTGMC is an Avisynth script. It can take a bit of work to get QTGMC to work as it requires other Avisynth plugins, especially if you're not familiar with Avisynth, but once it is working it's very easy to use. I use MeGUI myself and adding QTGMC de-interlacing to the scripts it creates isn't hard.

You'd no doubt need to run your TV at 60Hz rather than 24Hz while playing 50fps video otherwise there'd be no point. It wouldn't be perfect in respect to the frame rate and refresh rate matching, but it'd probably look pretty smooth. I assume you're not stuck running your TV at 24Hz?

I live in PAL-land so I'm lucky enough to be able to do it the other way around. My TV stays refreshing at 50Hz most of the time and I use Reclock to speed 24fps video up to 25fps. Unfortunately 29.970fps progressive or interlaced video doesn't match perfectly, but I watch very little of that and I can change the TV to 60Hz if I really want to.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Phat J View Post
    Hey everyone,

Once again I'd like to reach out for assistance from this great forum.

I've been reading up on what to do with interlaced video. I'm not sure if I should post this in encoding, or DVD ripping, but here goes.

Before, I would just re-encode any (downloaded) interlaced videos with Yadif, effectively blending the fields together, ditching a field, or whatever it does. But the more I've researched, the more it appears the encoding solutions become more subjective. And I've never dealt with an interlaced PAL DVD before.

I read that if file size isn't an issue, and if I have the hardware for it, deinterlace using bob, so it doubles the frame rate. This way, I'm not discarding any data from the original video.

I did this with AVIDemux, and the results seem great. The only issue is, I use ReClock to slow the frame rate to 24fps from the usual 25fps. However, since the encoded video is now 50fps, reclock doesn't seem to like that, and it plays terribly.

My TV is set to 24hz and that doesn't jive with 50fps video.

It seems to me like 50fps is out of the question, I may have to keep it as 25fps for reclock.

Is there a "go-to" method for quality deinterlacing? Or any other suggestions?

Thanks!
    Presumably you set your TV to 24fps to watch 24p movies. In that case there is absolutely no need to double the frame rate when you deinterlace movies, you only should double the framerate if the video was recorded with an interlaced camera instead of being telecined.
    Last edited by newpball; 28th Nov 2014 at 12:29.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
    There's a few little samples in a zip file attached to this post.
    I don't understand. Why would samples from you be useful in answering Phat J's question?
    Quote Quote  
  6. It was mainly to provide a couple of examples of de-interlacing methods, given Phat J asked if there's a "go-to quality de-interlacing method" and for any other suggestions.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks everyone. I haven't taken the time to finish with this DVD until recently, and I decided to keep it at 25fps, can't remember which deinterlace filter I used, but the results are good.

I have a new issue now. I have another video from DVD, ripped at 29.97fps interlaced. I ran it through xvid4psp's interlace analyze feature, and it comes up as "hybrid film interlaced," field order variable. It suggested I do TIVTC for the deinterlace method.

I let it encode with those settings, and the resulting video still looks interlaced. The video is a bunch of cartoon shorts, which some are interlaced, some are not.

The analyze feature in xvid4psp seems to be inaccurate. How do I determine the right type of deinterlace required? I can provide samples if necessary.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Phat J View Post
    How do I determine the right type of deinterlace required?
    With your eyes.
    I can provide samples if necessary.
    We shouldn't have to ask.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!