VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I haven't taken the Blu-Ray plunge yet, but I was just wondering if a typical DVD-compliant MPEG-2 is compatible with the Blu-Ray format?

I just thought that if I had some MPEG-2 files that were originally intended for DVD, it would be nice to be able to author them onto Blu-Ray in the future if I wanted to.

I don't know if there is anything different about Blu-Ray that requires MPEG-2 to be encoded/formatted in a different way?

Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Yep, you can put 720x480 29.97fps and 720x576fps MPEG2 on a Blu-ray video disc. Read also https://forum.videohelp.com/topic346387.html
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Baldrick
    Yep, you can put 720x480 29.97fps and 720x576fps MPEG2 on a Blu-ray video disc. Read also https://forum.videohelp.com/topic346387.html
    Yeah, I knew it was an accepted format — but I wasn't sure if you had to encode it in different way (using certain "Blu-Ray accepted" settings, for instance).
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Some sources, including the BluRay specs here at this website, suggest that 480i/p video must have frame rates of either 50 fps (PAL) or 59.94 (NTSC), so that's different from normal DVD. Some authoring programs may not enforce this, but I believe that technically speaking 50 or 59.94 fps are the only valid frame rates for DVD compatible video on BluRay. Please confirm that if you can.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by jman98
    Some authoring programs may not enforce this, but I believe that technically speaking 50 or 59.94 fps are the only valid frame rates for DVD compatible video on BluRay. Please confirm that if you can.
    Interesting.

But yes, can anyone confirm this? I'm really not into making non-compliant stuff and just hoping that some players will accept it anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by jman98
    Some sources, including the BluRay specs here at this website, suggest that 480i/p video must have frame rates of either 50 fps (PAL) or 59.94 (NTSC), so that's different from normal DVD. Some authoring programs may not enforce this, but I believe that technically speaking 50 or 59.94 fps are the only valid frame rates for DVD compatible video on BluRay. Please confirm that if you can.
    Actually, you misread that. It says that sources must be 50i or 59.94i fields per second, which is the same thing as 25 and 29.97 frames per second.

Now my question is, can you put a 29.97p (progressive @ 29.97 fps) source onto Blu-Ray? I know the specs sheet doesn't list that — but perhaps you actually can in reality?

I've had no problems doing this with DVD, so it's kind of hard to believe you couldn't do this on Blu-Ray.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I confirm this since I have had the privilege of having a friend who works with, and is knowledgable with, Sonic Scenarist.

Any video stream that is DvD compliant is easily accepted by Scenarist, which is the "benchmark" software for blu-ray compliancy.

However, believe it or not, you will come across an AC-3 source that isn't accepted. Scenarist is more picky about audio than video for DvD sources. (There are a few encoders though that guarantee this compliance if re-encoding is necessary.)
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Baldrick
    What about other resolutions like 704 or 352?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by zanos
    What about other resolutions like 704 or 352?
    No luck. The only SD accepted by the blu-ray standard is 720x480 and 720x576. (which applies to MPEG-2, H.264 and VC-1).

However, it was clear from the beginning that HD-DvD closer embraced the DvD standard than blu-ray with a wider compliance of SD content - something blu-ray unfortunately has discouraged.

HD-DvD allowed smaller resolutions, such as half D1, even VCD rez, several fps (29.97, 23.97, pulldown), etc. The only way to play these on blu-ray is through the DvD feature (or with any other features that may exist outside the blu-ray standard like DivX, MP3, etc.)
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote