VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok after several weeks of trial and error I have found out that the drivers for my Nvidia GeForce GTX 770M were causing the BSOD. The only problem is it always happens. I have no problem with the computer without any driver at all (Running on intel intigrated right now) Is it possible that the GPU is fried somehow? My friends computer is the exact same as mine, we bought them at the same time, and he is having absolutly no problems with his.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    A damaged GPU is one possibility. Or the GPU RAM is damaged. That GPU is used on laptops, but I assume you have a desktop PCI card version? And a Intel GPU onboard?
    If it is a PCI card, you could try a substitute video card. I would also shut down the PC, unplug the card and reseat it and restart as maybe the socket
    is a problem. A substitute card would also tell you that.

And when you have a BSOD, do you get any error codes? You can set your PC to not autorestart to see the codes. Of course if you have no video, that won't work.

And I don't know if you have tried this, but you might try some older versions of the Nvidia drivers.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Your assumption is incorrect. It is a laptop. I have tried several different Drivers.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Did the laptop come with a restore disc/partition to return it to it's original factory state? If so, that'd probably eliminate any software/driver issues and conflicts. With no additional software installed if it still has a problem it's likely to be a hardware one.
    If there's no restore option, then maybe a complete reformat and re-install of Windows is the only other method by which the process of elimination can be used to find the cause, and often that's what's needed.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Did a fresh install of windows several times. All of the drivers install correctly and wirk fine, i installed them one at a time and restarted the laptop after each and when i get to the Nvidea drivers and restart i get the BSOD.
    Quote Quote  
  6. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    And the BSOD says what?

Sometimes those hex error codes + Google return helpful results.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ive done google, several times. I wouldnt be asking if i hadnt tried google yet.
    Quote Quote  
  8. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    I wouldnt be asking if i hadnt tried google yet.
    Sorry, most of us don't have a functional crystal ball or a reliable n00bmeter ^_^
    Quote Quote  
  9. How about giving us the BSOD error message? You should have posted that error message in your first post. (even if you looked it up on Google)
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Im at work right now but it was something like Stop 0x0000000A irql not less or equal. Ive swapped the ram, did a mem test, did a check disk, and did the sfc scannow.
    Quote Quote  
  11. What OS? Here's a link to the MS answer to that error message for XP. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314063
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ive tried all that lol. Everything works fine till i install the Nvidea drivers, and again ive tried several drivers new and old.
    Quote Quote  
  13. If it is still under warranty, do the factory-fresh system restore, record the error, and return for replacement.

If it is not under warranty, do this anyway and then investigate different drivers with NO OTHER SOFTWARE installed.

What drivers are installed with the original system? At what point did this problem start to happen? Is this card original equipment?

Did I mention yet that having the Make and Model of the PC would be helpful?

Verify if the card is using system memory. If so, replace, swap, or remove single modules and test.

If still no joy, either find a set of drivers you can live with or replace the card.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The only problem is it always happens
    Was this laptop pre owned or did you buy it new ?

Try the very first nvidia driver package which supports the device, some report last 3 packages cause issues.

If no success, continue below.

Ive seen hp's do the same thing, run fine with windows standard video driver but as soon as the nvidia drivers are installed it bsod's and plays up.

This was most likely caused by someone spilling liquid on the keyboard which found its way onto the system board.

If this is the case you'll have to strip it down and spray around the area containing the gpu with isopropyl rubbing alcohol out of a small spray bottle or use professional e
    lectrical contact cleaner as these should disolve / displace any sugars left on the circuits.

Spray several times around the gpu giving a few minutes between sprays. Both products air dry quickly so no need to towel off the board.

Once done, reassemble and try again, if it continues to bsod then its generally a forgone conclusion the gpu has suffered some minor form of internal damage for which the genuine official device drivers are triggering.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Another thought, maybe that driver is not compatible with XP. Have you looked into that?
    Quote Quote