VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Amazon.com Inc. said customers now can rent high-definition movies and buy HD TV shows to watch on television sets through devices from TiVo Inc, Sony Corp., Panasonic Corp. and Roku. ¶

As high-speed Internet connections grow more widespread, consumers increasingly are watching video material on their computers. Sites such as YouTube, owned by Google Inc., and Hulu offer free content, including movies and TV shows. ¶

Episodes of current TV shows will be sold for $2.99 and new-release movies can be rented for $3.99 to $4.99 from Amazon Video On Demand. ¶

More than 500 HD TV shows and movies from major studios and networks are available. ¶

"Our customers have been asking us for two things: HD and the ability to watch movies and TV shows instantly on their television," said Bill Carr, Amazon vice president of music and video. ¶

Compatible devices include the Roku digital video player; TiVo Series3, HD and HD XL digital video recorders; Sony Bravia Internet Video Link; and Panasonic VIERA CAST-enabled HDTVs. ¶

The movies and shows also can be watched on personal computers online or downloaded to computers for viewing later. ¶

whats going to happen when comcast put a cap on internet download? pay rent for amazon, and extra $$ for bandwidth
    Quote Quote  
  2. Ready or not...streaming is the future of entertainment.
    I would rather rent a streamed movie than drive to Blockbuster only to find out their sold out.$4.99 is more than RedBox but cheaper than On Demand.
    Netflix has free movies but no new releases.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I love technology - I really embraced MP3 players and my Zune for their portability and convenience for taking large amounts of music and video with me when on the go, but I prefer owning my entertainment on physical media, and watching it on a real TV. Maybe I am too old, but I want discs - I do not want to download it, I do not want to watch it on my computer. I want to be able to manipulate it as my needs change, I do not want it locked into 1 piece of equipment in a highly compressed format with limited or no options at all.

I have always moved along with the newer technology and formats - but I have no interest going in this direction.
    "I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! My life is my own" - the Prisoner
    (NO MAN IS JUST A NUMBER)
    be seeing you ( RIP Patrick McGoohan )
    Quote Quote  
  4. Number Six,
    You can watch it on your TV if you have one of those devices mentioned in the article,you can also use a HTPC.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MOVIEGEEK
    Number Six,
    You can watch it on your TV if you have one of those devices mentioned in the article,you can also use a HTPC.
    I know, but that goes to the point I made about not wanting the content locked into 1 device like the ones mentioned above. I have no interest in a HTPC. I will continue to buy DVDs and record movies and other programs of interest off of my satellite system.

It's funny - I am a technician and very much into tech, but I am not interested in this direction, but my friend who is technology challenged, and afraid of his computer is drooling over this stuff.
    "I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! My life is my own" - the Prisoner
    (NO MAN IS JUST A NUMBER)
    be seeing you ( RIP Patrick McGoohan )
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by MJA
    whats going to happen when comcast put a cap on internet download? pay rent for amazon, and extra $$ for bandwidth
    I've been thinking this all along. This is why ISPs put caps in place to begin with. Not because of the 1% of the bandwitdth hogs, because of the 99% that will reduce cable services because they now have a better alternative to forced bundled cable channels
    tgpo famous MAC commercial, You be the judge?
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    I use the FixEverythingThat'sWrongWithThisVideo() filter. Works perfectly every time.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by MJA
    The BBC has just started offering 720p HD downloads, and the ISPs in the UK are already crying about it.

They stream at about 3.2Mb/s, so by my (very dodgy) calculations, that makes it roughly 1.4GB per hour.
    Quote Quote  
  8. comcast already has a cap. 250gb/month.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    60 Gig/month here on Shaw. I've been warned and cut off on several occassions. No possibility of streaming this way with current setup from either local providers....
    Quote Quote  
  10. verizon fios is about the only highspeed provider with no cap at this point.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by minidv2dvd
    verizon fios is about the only highspeed provider with no cap at this point.
    it's not available in many areas
    Quote Quote