VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hey, im looking into buying a new laptop. My Macbook Pro is about 4yrs old and is lagging a lot with newer software, its seriously underpowered by today´s standards, so i guess its time to get a new laptop. Im looking into Windows laptops right now because i feel that even though i love my Mac´s display and other stuff, hardware wise, a Windows laptop will offer me better specs than an Apple device. Im looking for something around USD$1000.00 - 1100.00, 1200 tops. My main concern is the video editing. Im working as a freelancer on doing some videos for a couple of companies, and i want faster render times, faster previews and more stability. I sometimes need to wait a lot for a decent preview on my Mac and that makes all the process slower. For programs, i use a lot of the Adobe Suite CS6 (Premiere, After Effects, Flash, Etc.) and Final Cut X Pro.

Im also into music (im also a working/giging musician), so i would like it to be powerful enough to handle music creation well. I also would like to play games and stuff like that, but that comes in a third place.

Im looking into this one right now, is there something better out there by the price? http://www.amazon.com/N550JV-DB71-i7-4700HQ-2-4GHz-5400rpm-FullHD/dp/B00G2IL0C6/ref=sr...ords=asus+n550

Thanks for the advice guys!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Do you *like* the mobility of a laptop, or do you *need* the mobility of a laptop? Because I expect you may be able to get better specs for the dollar with a desktop computer.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Yeah, i love the mobility, not only to use it around the house, but to take it everywhere and work wherever im at the moment. Mobility is very important to me.

Im also looking at some Lenovos right now, and they are quite nice.
    Last edited by djluis48; 4th Feb 2014 at 14:37.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I did all the hard work for you

Newegg Laptop Picker

I will say I've had the same HP i3 laptop for going on 4 years and it runs fine...it's not in the same league as what you want but in terms of longevity, it's really been used since I got. Even switched over to an SSD for about 18 months now and even better. So for me I would start with an HP cause of experience. I also don't know what kinda graphics you'll be wanting but the link above is a generic look at what's what

for super graphics and computing power...this MSI looks promising
    Last edited by Moontrash; 4th Feb 2014 at 14:47.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by djluis48 View Post
    Hey, im looking into buying a new laptop....
    Before you bite the dust, and if no-one else has told you, make sure whatever laughtop it is you are going to end up with has an eSATA port. This is so that you can connect an external hard drive, to accomplish that basic requirement of NLE, which is there should be at least two hard drives, physically separate, connected to a single controller each. One is the built-in drive of that laughtop for holding the OS and NLE programs, the other is for storing your captured and edited files in.
    Nearly all laughtops, out of the box, because they only have one hard drive, are fundamentally unsuitable for any serious level of audio & video capture and editing. Would-be users get caught up in getting the fastest processor, biggest RAM, the mostest graphics adaptor, etc; all that are very important, but essential and mandatory and infinitely more important above them all is the requirement for two hard drives. USB-connected drives will not do. Please search this forum for my posts to other similar threads on why this is so.
    For the nth time, with the possible exception of certain Intel processors, I don't have/ever owned anything whose name starts with "i".
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I bought an Acer 17" lap about 3 years ago for my son at college. He still really likes it; this I linked to would be that latest version. The only thing that has gone bad is the AC power in jack; it was an easy repair, I just removed the connection cover and resoldered the joint and it is still working great. I notice that it has a 6 cell, I am guessing around 4100 or less mAH battery so I think the 3.5 hour spec is a stretch. Probably more like 2 hr or less. My sons battery is 8 cell, 4800mAH and can last 3.5 hours. BUT it costs $120 online and is difficult to find. Anyway, he plays games on it, does web design, runs Protools (music capture and editing) with no problems at all, and this one is more powerful. I really like the SSD for system files that it has. Check the users' reviews for more info.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834314160
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by turk690 View Post
    Hey, im looking into buying a new laptop....
    Before you bite the dust, and if no-one else has told you, make sure whatever laughtop it is you are going to end up with has an eSATA port. This is so that you can connect an external hard drive, to accomplish that basic requirement of NLE, which is there should be at least two hard drives, physically separate, connected to a single controller each. One is the built-in drive of that laughtop for holding the OS and NLE programs, the other is for storing your captured and edited files in.
    Nearly all laughtops, out of the box, because they only have one hard drive, are fundamentally unsuitable for any serious level of audio & video capture and editing. Would-be users get caught up in getting the fastest processor, biggest RAM, the mostest graphics adaptor, etc; all that are very important, but essential and mandatory and infinitely more important above them all is the requirement for two hard drives. USB-connected drives will not do. Please search this forum for my posts to other similar threads on why this is so.
    Thanks for the insight. I can't find any laptop on my price range with eSata. Im looking at two now that have 2x SATA ports inside, so i can use 2 drives. Im thinking on installing an aditional 250+ gb SSD.

Thanks guys for all the input. These are the laptops:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152406

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00COQIKB4/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Which one do you think would be better?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    theres just slight differences between the two

asus has 17" screen.....msi has a 15"
    asus has a turbo mode for the cpu to reach 3.4ghz.....msi can reach 3.2ghz
    msi has a faster hdd (7200RPM)...asus has a standard laptop hdd (5400RPM)
    asus has a bigger hdd (1tb)...msi has a 750gb
    asus has a bigger battery (8 cell LI)...msi (6 cell LI)

with the exception of the screen size, the hdd issue is easily fixable by using an SSD in the OS's place (clone the OS off the factory drive ofcourse)...use the factory hdd for storage or just get 2 SSD's and save the factory drive...put it off to the side.

Seems like the asus' complaints are infrequent to the msi
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Im also looking at some Lenovos right now, and they are quite nice.
    I'm NOT a fan. I'll warn you that they have a ton of proprietary drivers you will need if you ever have to replace the boot disk drive and installing them yourself is painful.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the insight. I can't find any laptop on my price range with eSata. Im looking at two now that have 2x SATA ports inside, so i can use 2 drives. Im thinking on installing an aditional 250+ gb SSD.

Thanks guys for all the input. These are the laptops:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152406

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00COQIKB4/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Which one do you think would be better?
    These are OK, but specifically intended for gaming. Gaming requirements are slightly different from NLE. It's also not clear if they also have two internal SATA ports (unless the SATA DVD drive is removed and an HDD is put in its place). If you research enough, there are laughtops available in your price range with eSATA. It's just not easy to know on the fly because hastily-written reviews and specs often do not explicitly mention what ports are available.
    You probably have an idea by now that, laughtop mongers do not are not that inclined to specifically say their products are intended for heavy-duty audio and video capture and editing, among others, in the field of serious content creation. They intend their laughtops to be used mainly for gaming and other facile activities such as checking fezbuk, playing angree birds, listening to compressed itunes dreck, and/or hastily sending an email explaining you are sick when you just came off the super bowl.
    To make a laughtop worthy of serious NLE, you have to do some heavy-duty preparation to it after springing it out of the box. You may follow this thread: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/356640-Laptop-crashes-while-rendering?p=2247451#post2247450
    For the nth time, with the possible exception of certain Intel processors, I don't have/ever owned anything whose name starts with "i".
    Quote Quote