VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, my first post. I bought a Bose AV18 recently to replace an AV28 that had a broken cd/dvd mechanism. All has been well until I did the multi region hack - the unit will now play multi region dvd's however the picture aspect ratio doesn't fill the screen, almost like it is 14:9 rather than 16:9. I've tried system settings on the Bose unit & also on my TV, nothing allows me to get full screen.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by fivered View Post
    Hi, my first post. I bought a Bose AV18 recently to replace an AV28 that had a broken cd/dvd mechanism. All has been well until I did the multi region hack - the unit will now play multi region dvd's however the picture aspect ratio doesn't fill the screen, almost like it is 14:9 rather than 16:9. I've tried system settings on the Bose unit & also on my TV, nothing allows me to get full screen.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    first try unplugging the player from the wall and let it sit for a few minutes.
    then retry playing your discs and see if it'll fix the aspect ratio.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I found that tip on google & unplugged the unit for around an hour, it didn't change anything unfortunately.
    Thanks for the reply though.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Was there any feedback on the region-hack ? It appears that the unit no longer respects the AR flag in the disk and simply displays the storage ratio.

Since you are on the UK I guess you are now playing a US disk. The storage ratio is 720*480 or 3:2 which is quite close to 14:9

I know it does not help but region-hacks do come with inherent risks.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I wanted to view some US box sets that I'd been viewing previously. The narrow image now affects any disc, either US or UK.
    The post I read re the hack stated that it had come direct from Bose & that it had worked perfectly. I'd used the exact same hack on my previous Bose AV28 & it worked without any problems at all so I had no hesitation in using it on the AV18. Just wish I could undo it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If it came from Bose then surely they would sell a Region Free unit in the first place.

And hacks rarely work on all systems.
    Quote Quote