VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

Apologies if this is a basic question, but:

I've been hired to translate some subs and provided with .ass files in the original language. My client has asked for me to, in their exact words, please " return me ass with both original and English."

I don't think they want both languages to display simultaneously. (waiting on the answer to a clarifying question currently). And of course they would not want me to return two separate files, as they already have the original language files themselves.

So I am forced to assume it's possible to put two different subtitle "tracks" into an .ass file, for two different languages, but after a fair deal of googling and searching these forums, I can't seem to find exactly how to do so.

Using Aegis subs currently, but willing to use something else if necessary. Preferably something that runs on Ubuntu but I can use Windows if necessary.

Could someone please point me in the right direction to figure this out?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Let me tell you how I interpret this; correct me if I'm wrong:
    Your client gives you ass subtitle files in, say, French and wants you to translate them to English.
    After this work, you give him the original subtitles in French and the ones you translated in English (as ass files).
    Anyway, it is a nonsense to use two languages in one subtitle file.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ProWo View Post
    Let me tell you how I interpret this; correct me if I'm wrong:
    Your client gives you ass subtitle files in, say, French and wants you to translate them to English.
    After this work, you give him the original subtitles in French and the ones you translated in English (as ass files).
    Anyway, it is a nonsense to use two languages in one subtitle file.
    That interpretation is correct, and I appreciate you answering. I was beginning to suspect as much from what I was seeing when I looked things up, but I wasn't sure because this is the first translation job I've done with subtitle files.

I feel better knowing for sure that it's nonsense, since I didn't have experience and I've been getting the impression this client doesn't have that much experience with this either.

Perhaps they really do just want me to add English under the original subtitles, either way hopefully I'll be able to clear it up with them.

Thanks for your response!
    Quote Quote