VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi friends,

I'm slowly migrate from Windows to Macos, and so far so good.
    Except than I can't find a simple professional software to encode Bluray compliant file with the x264 encoder,

On windows, I use Pegasys Tmpgenc mastering works which works great, is easy to use, and produce stunning results. I use it for mpeg2 DVD as well.

Is there something similar on Mac Os ?
    I spend 4 hours trying to find something, with no luck.

Thanks for your help
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    You can probably use HandBrake, Avidemux, Hybrid ... search VideoHelp software archive: Video Encoders (H264/H265/MP4/MKV) and look for the little MacOS icon.

To encode Bluray compliant, you will need to discover how to set up all the necessary constraints, though.

PS: The description of Tricycle (is new to me) sounds promising for your goals.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks.

I've tried all of them, and they don't fit my need.
    I can't use them with trust for professional work.
    (too much settings, crashed à lot, very very slow)

Few years ago, there were a lot ot pro apps on mac like Squeeze, or Episode, but they're all gone.
    Now, all we have is Compressor and Adobe Media Encoder, and they're not good.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I must ask.

Why move to Mac OS ?

There are only a few (subscription-based) apps that maybe get close to your aspirations.

But we do not know what you determine as 'professional work'. That can, at least, mean two things that are totally opposite.

And do real 'professionals' use a Mac these days (if they ever did) ?
    Quote Quote  
  5. That's a good question.

I need to reduce the size of my wok gear, since I will move frequently next year. I first tought building a 5800x ITX system, then I saw good reviews for the MacMini, which has a perfect size. So I bought it, and wow. I wasn't expecting so much performance. it beats my 9700k/64go in many situation.

So, impressed, why notto try Mac OS ?
    I was anxious at first, but finnaly find a way to replace 80% of my usual apps.
    Except for video and audio encoding.

Professional means working for company which releases DVD and Bluray at high scale.
    So, compliant video and audio files is a must.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The word that comes to my mind is not 'professional' but 'compliant'

So two thoughts.

1. Whether you are working directly for this company or on a freelance basis you confirm with the company how they expect the video assets, since that is only part of the process, to be delivered beit bitrate etc.

2. As I already stated, you are somewhat restricted when you using a Mac. And you appear to be dismissive of practically all the tools available to you. Properly encoded Blu Ray (and even dvd) assets do take time to create. You may well get more help if this topic is in the dedicated Mac section so I suggest you contact system admin to more it there.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by frenshprince View Post
    That's a good question.

I need to reduce the size of my wok gear, since I will move frequently next year. I first tought building a 5800x ITX system, then I saw good reviews for the MacMini, which has a perfect size. So I bought it, and wow. I wasn't expecting so much performance. it beats my 9700k/64go in many situation.

So, impressed, why notto try Mac OS ?
    I was anxious at first, but finnaly find a way to replace 80% of my usual apps.
    Except for video and audio encoding.

Professional means working for company which releases DVD and Bluray at high scale.
    So, compliant video and audio files is a must.
    see this thread - https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/400685-Encoding-x264-on-a-Mac-is-there-a-simple-guide
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Thread moved to the mac forum where you can get more help.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Perhaps you could install Parallels and continue to use Tmpgenc Mastering Works. That would be less painful than using alternative editors available for Mac OS.

For example, there is a real pro editing tool for Mac OS, DaVinci Resolve, that would allow you to use a plug-in for x264 encoding. However, while DaVinci Resolve does much more than Tmpgenc Mastering Works, it is not as easy to use as Tmpgenc Mastering Works and it won't allow you to export MPEG2 program streams for DVD.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote